What Are Your Predictions For The 2020s

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Just a month away from 2020. What changes do you think we’ll see over the next few years? Maybe something scientific, something cultural, or something from the world of commerce.

Some of the things I think will happen in the next decade are:

Humans will set foot on Mars.

Apple will become the largest video streaming company in the world and will make more profits from services than hardware.

Elon Musk will create the world’s largest global internet service provider, which will become the dominant ISP.

Dire consequences of global warming will accelerate yet mankind will fail to effectively address the issue.

Evidence of life elsewhere in the universe will be discovered.

There will be a city-killer comet/asteroid impact somewhere on earth.

The nature of dark matter will remain undiscovered.

Paper newspapers will cease to exist in the U.K.

Heavily regulated gene editing and therapy will be used to bring an end to previously debilitating and life threatening conditions.

The global influence of the USA will significantly wane as China extends its financial and political reach.

Facebook will cease to exist.

What predictions have you got?

My prediction is that just like last year and this year I will be about to go on my annual winter holiday wondering will Brexit be over by the time I come back at Easter.

Just a month away from 2020. What changes do you think we’ll see over the next few years? Maybe something scientific, something cultural, or something from the world of commerce.

Apple will become the largest video streaming company in the world and will make more profits from services than hardware.

Elon Musk will create the world’s largest global internet service provider, which will become the dominant ISP.

Dire consequences of global warming will accelerate yet mankind will fail to effectively address the issue.

Heavily regulated gene editing and therapy will be used to bring an end to previously debilitating and life threatening conditions.

The global influence of the USA will significantly wane as China extends its financial and political reach.

Not sure about the comet part or global warming, but everything else seems true. FB is here to stay though!!

I think the OP was allowing himself 10 years for the predictions, the title says 2020s not 2020, the speed tings move at in 10 years a few of them could happen.

Mr Johnson will tell lots of lies
Leyton Orient will lose more games than they win
Those two things are certain, no idea on the rest

Yes, a point seemingly missed by the first respondent.

I didn't miss it.

I'll keep reminding myself that on the net I have to scream the bleedin obvious to people with zero SOH.

My prediction is that things will carry on much as before.

My main concern and worry is that in the UK we'll continue down the fake news, lies and social media knee jerk reactionary route we seem to be on with people screaming for the complete and public destruction of anyone not sharing their worldview.

Other than that what else...
ongoing strife in the middle east,
human rights abuses on a vast scale China and elsewhere,
continued bullying, meddling and murderous activities from Russia,
increased bullying from China,
the EC continuing it's agenda of expansion and move towards a USE,
and sadly continued strife, division and inequality in the UK,
hopefully the emergence of a new UK political party or the expulsion of the militants and far left urban elite and rebirth of the Labour party.

A new album from Iris DeMent.

Last edited:
I think this will happen sooner than people realise.

Haha, just after he sets his nanobots onto Mars. Then his ISP satellites will jail all human on Earth by generating space debris. This is when we finds out he's actually a super villain.

This will absolutely be true.

Hope not....... we are not yet ready to defend ourselves.

Armageddon film played out IRL?

Hope so, they are useless and wasteful

Hope so, but with this tech, we may see another big increase in population........
Deleted a few I've no idea.

I predict a riot!

Brexit happens - a riot
Brexit does not happen - a riot

Predictions for 2020:
My good lady wife will require numerous new handbags
Trump will get a second term
Corbyn resigns as Labour leader after loosing election, could happen this year
Scotland holds new referendum on independence
Prince Andrew gives evidence in US court

What I would like to happen in 2020:
My good lady wife does not buy any new handbags
Abolish the house of lords, replaced with elected second chamber

I think Brexit will happen, and in 2024 will see Labour (probably) with a center eft/right of the party leader winning a HUGE majority of Blair proportions... then led to us starting to negotiate joining the EU by the end of the decade.

England will be fancied for every tournament but fall short

Prince Charles to be King

Me to start wandering where has my life gone as will be in late 50s at end of the 2020s!!!

Every one of these predictions will not happen. But to give you credit had it not been for a typo your first one would have been correct.
Humans will set foot on Mars bars.

I'll retire (could/should have been next year, but who knows, have to keep working as I have a very bad case of GAS)
My Mrs will officially retire (WASPI)
I'll get fatter (because she'll bake even more cakes as I'm home to eat them)
My GAS will subside (I live in hope, but I cant see it happening)
I will use my telescope that I bought for my 60th birthday, sporadic use so far.
The cats will end up loving each other (more hope again).
TP will be the world's largest social site
We'll finally get a Govt that works for the UK (more hope again).

I have a feeling that lots of my predictions, much like an election manifesto, will come to nothing.

Tricky, so near the cusp of potential great change.

A conservative government will be re-elected and take us out of the EU, but a good deal will fail to be brokered in time and the Brexit will be hard.

Corbyn will resign, and someone with hard left tendencies will replace him - they will not be well known, but will be elected by the 'membership'.

Britain will become an increasingly right-wing state, driven by socially liberal values (i.e. promotion of difference in sexual identity and preference) and repressive towards those that do not toe the party line (i.e. those of faith, true liberal thinkers).

Trump will be re-elected and America will try to bully the country into accepting adverse trade agreements.

The conservative party will have been found to have accepted support from Russia, but will continue in power anyway.

Russia and China will have a military conflict over either energy or food.

India and Pakistan will have a land war over Kashmir.

Western nations including the US will become weaker, and will find themselves financially manipulated by China.

North Korea will perform a nuclear strike on a neighbouring country, and KJU will be replaced with a Chinese pupet.

The European union will increasingly fragment, driven by separatist political parties in member states, corruption within the EU parliamentary system and by Russian subversion encouraging friction and dissent.

Russia will re-invade at least one state that was previously part of the USSR, and the west will do nothing except tell them they should not do that.

There will be a severe recession in Europe and especially in a now separate UK that is no longer providing financial services to the world.

The labour party will come back into power towards the end of the decade and will blame the weakness of the country on the Jews, manipulating the state through large corporations in revenge for the labour party's anti-semitic persecution of them in the past.

The Labour party will have become a mouth-piece for resurgent trades unions, who will hold the country to ransom on a regular basis.

The country will go bust, so much money having been borrowed to pay for promises made to voters that it is no longer possible to finance the debt.

Britain will beg to re-join the EU, but will be rejected as they were once before, only this time for corruption.

Germany will become the torch-bearer for freedom and democracy in Europe.

China will have effective political control of 75% of Africa, while Russia will control most of the middle east, America having repeatedly betrayed allies and withdrawn troops repeatedly during the reign of president Trump. Israel will align with China and receive protection from them against Russian-controlled nations surrounding them. Israeli devised AI will be used by the Chinese to monitor and control their populations ever more closely.

Scotland will gain independance, and will go cap-in-hand to the EU because it was never financially viable without support from the rest of the UK. Scottish businesses in England will be ransacked and burned by angry mobs. The troubles will re-start in Northern Ireland out of fear that a re-union with the south will be forced apon them.

The Spanish state will institute severe measures against anyone speaking either Basque or Catalan and will imprison citizens for supporting the idea of a separate state. ETA will be resurrected and will join with the Catalans in bloody guerrila warfare against the Spanish state.

Lets hope I'm wrong - this is written slightly tongue in cheek too. Maybe I should write a novel using this as the basis instead.

Last edited:
Lets hope I'm wrong - this is written slightly tongue in cheek too. Maybe I should write a novel using this as the basis instead.

Not exactly a RomCom is it?

Steptoe (JC) will be the first PM of the 2020's.

By 2025 Britain will be a third world nation with no businesses left in the UK.

Unemployment in the UK will be it's highest ever the rich will have mainly left as the grow tired of funding the bone idle who want the 32hr week cut to a 28 hour week but want a minimum wage of £50/he for f*** all.

Energy prices will sky rocket even though most know by now they were conned by Global Warming.

The Police will no longer exist - Diane Abbott got rid of them.

Everyone and anyone who has had their pensions changed will have been given billions in compensation as Steptoe believed it was the right thing to do.

The UK will be at war with Israel due to the anti-Semitism expressed by the UK government.

Profit will be described in the Oxford English Dictionary as 'vulgar slang'. If a company dares to fall into profit it will be stolen by the state and the shareholders will be given a couple of Amazon tokens.

Human beings will, collectively, continue to be both amazingly brilliant and amazingly stupid.

The universe will continue to not give a s***.

Steptoe (JC) will be the first PM of the 2020's.

By 2025 Britain will be a third world nation with no businesses left in the UK.

Unemployment in the UK will be it's highest ever the rich will have mainly left as the grow tired of funding the bone idle who want the 32hr week cut to a 28 hour week but want a minimum wage of £50/he for f*** all.

Energy prices will sky rocket even though most know by now they were conned by Global Warming.

The Police will no longer exist - Diane Abbott got rid of them.

Everyone and anyone who has had their pensions changed will have been given billions in compensation as Steptoe believed it was the right thing to do.

The UK will be at war with Israel due to the anti-Semitism expressed by the UK government.

Profit will be described in the Oxford English Dictionary as 'vulgar slang'. If a company dares to fall into profit it will be stolen by the state and the shareholders will be given a couple of Amazon tokens.

Looks like I got that completely wrong!

Human beings will, collectively, continue to be both amazingly brilliant and amazingly stupid.

The universe will continue to not give a s***.
The universe has an opinion?

All such predictions are entirely wrong apart from the ones that turn out to be right. :naughty:

Right now I think most are for jumping straight to 2021

In the year 2029 dianne abbot will be the new p.m .

Sadly this thread didn’t go as I hoped for.
Sorry, I didn’t even read your post till now but I see you were (semi)serious. I blame the first responder :D.

Sadly this thread didn’t go as I hoped for.
Yeah. And that's a shame. I thought you had a diverse set of predictions there, covering a wide range of topics, but apparently most other people here can't see beyond UK politics.

I agree with some of yours and disagree with some of yours, but here are some of mine in a similar spirit.. By the end of the 2020s.....
  • There will be huge breakthroughs in the treatment of cancer and Alzheimers disease.
  • Malaria will be virtually if not totally eradicated. Polio will be totally eradicated.
  • More than half of the vehicles on our roads will be electric and there will be a viable national charging infrastructure.
  • Self driving cars will be commonplace if not mainstream.
  • The UK, EU countries and other advanced economies will have made major strides towards full decarbonisation.
  • Broadcast TV will be significantly diminished as an industry, as everything shifts to the internet and on-demand models.
  • The communist party will maintain its control of China without significant concessions to democracy, human rights, etc.
  • The amount of forest cover in the world will have significantly increased.

• More than half of the vehicles on our roads will be electric and there will be a viable national charging infrastructure.
I can't see that happening in the next ten years. There is over 38 million cars registered in the UK at the moment. UK new car sales over the last 12 months was around 2.5 million and electric vehicles are currently selling at the ratio of 1 in 10 cars in a market currently on a downward spiral and likely to continue decreasing for a few more years yet. Electric and hybrid sales are likely to start outselling ice cars in 4-5yrs time however.

I missed the pandemic.

Back