what ASA for night photography - available light only

Edit My Images
Yes
What film would you recommend for night photography?? I dont have a flash so will only be using available light if this is possible.

I havent done any night photography before on a film camera so all suggestions and any tips welcome

Thanks

Dan

I'm quite happy with Ektar 100, but my subjects are generally substantial, industrial and highly unlikely to move during the exposure.

What film would you recommend for night photography?? I dont have a flash so will only be using available light if this is possible.

I havent done any night photography before on a film camera so all suggestions and any tips welcome

Thanks

Dan

What sort of thing are you wanting to photograph?

Depends what you want to shoot and how much light is available....stationary objects will probably be ok with a low iso film using a tripod but if you're needing anything of a moderate shutter speed then you will probably need a higher iso unless you're going to push the film.

Thanks for the replies, I am going to Asia for a few weeks and would like to do some general street photography/people photography at night using available light only as I'm not taking a flash.

Hope this helps with suggestions for film, I appreciate a high ASA may be a tad grainy and I dont mind this

What do you think Guys?

Don't forget, some faster films have worse reciprocity failure than the slower emulsions - which means for very long exposures, the slower ones sometimes make much more sense! I believe Acros 100 is one such.

Well I would suggest a film of not more than 200asa. My few night shots recently using a tripod with the film Reala 100asa....were an unexpected failure. And it's so annoying when you don't why, so would practise before going to Asia.

The kool kidz shoot tri-x 400 @ 1600, so that's a 2 stop push.

This is what I would use, if I still can't get a shot wide open, its more trouble than I'm prepared to put up with and I'm flashing..:)

Generally where you have people action, like at night markets for instance, it is quite well-lit for night. ISO 400 should be fine. If you're shooting colour, the new Portra 400 is perfect, it has easily 2 stops underexposure latitude.

Get yourself some Portra 400, some Fuji Neopan 400 and a 50mm f1.4 lens and you'll be sorted (y)

Last edited:
Back