What attracted you to photography?

Reading Spider-Man comics and wanting to be Peter Parker didn't help either!

chance to move upwards from holiday snaps to something in focus and people actually want to look at

Spending alot of time fishing most of the time 3 days on the lake .seeing all the things what went on birds landscapes ....skys just wanted to capture them so started taking photos and that was it wouldnt be without my cam now

A Nikon SLR with a decent lens being in the lost property for more than 3 months...which I claimed.

IIRC it was a F801`X and had a standard zoom lens, something like 24/28 - 70.

My brother in law told me to set it on A...For Automatic! ;)

In my case, it started about ten years ago to try and provide some distraction from my job of work. I used to be a tomato farmer which wasn't the most stimulating job in the world but since I often came across some gorgeous misty type scenery while on my early morning commute through the Kent countryside, I wanted to capture that and I guess it kinda went on from there.
When I slowly got to grips with the various settings on the camera and understood how light behaves when it enters a camera, I very quickly outgrew my Sony Macevia 1.3 mp (the one with the floppy drive) and Fuji A900 compact and so I got myself a D40.
I do try and keep it as cheap and cheerful as possible but I have recently treated myself to a D7000 as I want to properly get back into photography this summer once my 365 cartoon drawings project, The Great Doodle, finishes at the end of this month (that did distract me!).

Hello. Even though I've been lurking around these parts for quite a while now, picking up tons of excellent advice, this is my first post. I think it's a great question by the OP and the replies so far have been superb.

I have my dear old gran to thank for my love of photography (and art in general really). She always had boxes and boxes of old family albums in her house and as a kid I'd sit there for hours looking at them. From the age of about 7 I was absolutely mesmerised at how you could freeze a moment in time with a camera and preserve it forever on paper with a magical process. That was 30 years ago I still feel the same way now. On my grans wall hangs a picture of my grandad and his two brothers, they're at a family party, all smiling and holding those old style pint glasses full of beer. Sadly they've all passed away now but at that moment when the camera clicked they were so alive and the fact that this split second in time has been preserved and can stir up so many emotions in me is as magical now as it was when I was 7. I only hope that the photographs i take now can have a similar affect on my children and grandchildren in years to come. I hope this has made of sense and I haven't rambled on too much! Thanks.

I think it was just a desire to have a record of some sort of everywhere I have been. My dad always had a camera when we went on holiday and I just sort of carried on that tradition.

30 odd years on and I'm still no good at it, despite going through the usual phases of developing my own stuff and trying to teach myself to have a good eye for a photo, but at least I have the record.

I was attracted to photography due to the fact that it has both an artistic side and a technical side to it. I've always been rubbish at drawing/painting and music, but with photography I can actually use technical skills to convey emotion.

Sorry if that sounds like absolute gibberish, I'm not very good at explaining myself!

I always loved looking at photos much more than say painting etc since i was a kid,then i just wanted to take photos as well, bought my first camera an Kodak 126 and never looked back :)

Like a lot on here my dad was always taking photos on the box brownie the thing fascinated me. If I had to pick an image that made me pick up a camera would have to say Eric Hosking shot of a barn owl in a heraldic pose lovely shot.

I think for me it was some of the amazing photo's that a friend of mine kept posting on facebook plus a desire to take photo's of aircraft (which Ironically I nearly never actually do) that got me into photography, and then 2 and half years ago I joined TP and really started to learn (y)

Probably just the fact I can capture many nice moments, but also my love of motorsport made me want to take more pictures of cars.

But now, I dont do musch at races because quiet frankly, everyone is there just taking pictures. Nobody seems to care for the actual reason we are there for in the first place.

Seeing my Mum using our Brownie 20 camera. It had TWO viewfinders, TWO! AND you could set the lens in some way.

I'm sure I remembered handling a Brownie camera of some kind, belonging to my father. Sadly, that's probably long gone, along with a couple other gadgets I'd love to have kept, including a fabulous old mechanical calculator (for use in pounds, shillings, and pence!).

Can we hear it for magicubes too? :love:

It's all about the moment/capturing things that would otherwise seem to pass by everyone else without even a glance!

Whether it's a musician mid-play on stage, frozen or the Northern lights over a snow layered Lapland - No two scenes are ever really the same (unless it's staged :p).

My interest has always been been there from been a child. I guess I'm a sentimental fool and treasure memories and collect 'things' that hold memories and photo's for me are an extension of that.

In late 2008 I started a new hobby where photo's really are your only way of capturing and holding those memories forever, so the first Dslr was bought (d40). About a year later the D90 came out and I upgraded and it's still my trusty friend today.

Due to my current job though it tends to be used more for events than anything I would choose to use it for these days. I've come back here hoping to find my photography mojo and get out and about again.

For me it was my dad who use to do weddings way back meany moons ago on 35mil film and he use to let me have a play with it and then we go to the atic and possess them been hooked ever since :)

For me it started in College. I studied Media Production and they let us play with a variety of different SLR/Film/Video cameras. I was given a Canon 400D and an assignment and told to go and take some pictures. And it was then I found my love for it.

I then became a chef when I left college (completely different genre of job i know) and didn't touch a camera for almost 2 years due to the amount I was working. One day I went for a walk with my other half and found an ancient digital camera in a park and would you believe it although it was soaking wet and covered in mud it worked! At that point I thought sod it! and bought a Canon 400D second hand for about £100 and things have progressed from there.

I like the challenge of photography and striving to get 'That Shot'.

Back