What bird Hide

Name
marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
For those who may own their own hide, be it a frame or pop up hide, am looking into getting one, wondered what you guys would suggest, purpose is for photography.

hope you can help

Marcus

I've tried a few cheap options and regretted them - one thing that does work is "one way" pigeon shooters mesh draped over you and your kit - especially if you get one of those folding mat chairs to sit in so you're at ground level. Apart from biting the bullet and buying a proper hide the one other cheaper option I haven't tried is a carp fishing bivvy - sometimes found for around £80 and tend to be the right colours!

I use a two man pop up hide..... I have a small woodland and it has been left there 'in situ' for 3 seasons now....it is anchored with road pins and not the tent pegs that they supplied with it....

I use a two man pop up hide..... I have a small woodland and it has been left there 'in situ' for 3 seasons now....it is anchored with road pins and not the tent pegs that they supplied with it....

Which one did you go for Lee and where did you get it, any info would be great thanks

Have looked at some thing similar off Amazon....any other other thoughts people??

Is the hide going to be portable or stationary? I have access to a small farm in the Vale of Glamorgan and in it we have set up a hide that has been there for some years,we initially used a pop up hide but as the site is close to the coast the prevailing westerlies wrecked it in less than a year. We now use a reclaimed garden shed(came free from Gumtree) that has the door to the rear,the window has been blocked with black tarpaulin and slotted window cut in the rear for viewing/lenses and 2 plastic patio chairs inside. We have recently built another hide at another site using hazel poles,camo netting and branches and plants to keep it hidden from 'unwanted people', it works very well but is not rain proof. I set up a cheap pop up hide at local lake a while ago and hid it in a reed bed close to the lake edge to get Kingfisher shots,it was there a few months before some scroat stole it. The one thing I will say about using hides is that in most cases it is not just a case of turn up,set up and shoot away,most species require time to get used to a hide before you get results,however when I have used a bag hide this seems to get faster results. Another option would be a gillie suit,http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Army-Surplus-Gillie-Suit-Parka-In-Woodland-Camouflage-Size-XL-XXL-New-/181310518213?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2a36f2f3c5
I have used one on many occaisions,it has its draw backs in that it gets very warm in one,they will catch all manner of twigs and branches and you look a complete idiot if someone sees you in one,but they work and they work very well. A pop up chair hide is a good option if not cumbersome to carry around.

I have one of these http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/C30-Dome-Hide--standard--1.html and can highly recommend it. It is very well made and will last years, but it was expensive and I only leave it on what I consider to be "safe" locations. Have also used their bigger dome hide and know of one that has survived three years or so out in the open with no issues. I have also used a improvised bag hide, made from a camo tarpaulin and found it very effective and in many ways a lot more flexible and quicker to use than a fixed hide.

For those who may own their own hide, be it a frame or pop up hide, am looking into getting one, wondered what you guys would suggest, purpose is for photography.

hope you can help

Marcus
Hi Marcus,

I've just bought one of these and I'm over the moon with it. List price is £125 but you can get it for £80 new on the links on the side:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stealth-Gea...&qid=1391783679&sr=8-35&keywords=stealth+gear

It's got ample room and is extremely well made.

I have used that one but as it is designed for shooting unless you are using a very long prime lens it is impossible to shoot whilst sitting comfortably.The flap is just too far away for the end of the lens to reach but I use a Sigma 50-500mm which is quite short.I tend to have to lean forward in order to reach the camera.
This is the one I use for pretty much everything as the camera can reach the shooting apertures easily and it also has mesh windows for viewing on all three windows.It fits 2 photographers comfortably and is sturdy and waterproof.I paid £64 brand new off Ebay.

IMG_5449
by Mike Warburton Photography, on Flickr

I have used that one but as it is designed for shooting unless you are using a very long prime lens it is impossible to shoot whilst sitting comfortably.The flap is just too far away for the end of the lens to reach but I use a Sigma 50-500mm which is quite short.I tend to have to lean forward in order to reach the camera.
This is the one I use for pretty much everything as the camera can reach the shooting apertures easily and it also has mesh windows for viewing on all three windows.It fits 2 photographers comfortably and is sturdy and waterproof.I paid £64 brand new off Ebay.

IMG_5449
by Mike Warburton Photography, on Flickr

Got a link please?

Hi I went into that link and asked if the one showing had mesh windows because it didn't look the same as the one showing in your photo he messaged back to say no mesh windows I was wondering if you purchased it a while ago and if there is anywhere else that does that particular one any help appreciated (y)

Just get some pigeon netting and peg it on, better than mesh.

Hi I went into that link and asked if the one showing had mesh windows because it didn't look the same as the one showing in your photo he messaged back to say no mesh windows I was wondering if you purchased it a while ago and if there is anywhere else that does that particular one any help appreciated (y)
I bought it about a year ago I think and the `windows` are double skinned.The outer flap being the solid camo material and an inner flap of mesh.If you look at the shot showing inside the hide you can see that I have the outer solid patterned flap dropped down but the inner mesh flap up so I can scan whats in front of the hide.They may be a different design now though if they have said there is no mesh window.Perhaps when Alan gets his back he can come back and let you know?

I bought it about a year ago I think and the `windows` are double skinned.The outer flap being the solid camo material and an inner flap of mesh.If you look at the shot showing inside the hide you can see that I have the outer solid patterned flap dropped down but the inner mesh flap up so I can scan whats in front of the hide.They may be a different design now though if they have said there is no mesh window.Perhaps when Alan gets his back he can come back and let you know?

Will do, I really like the look of it Mike. I don't think you will find cheaper either. Thanks again.

Hi folks, the smaller inner window has a velcro mesh but if you open up the bigger window for 2 people then there is no mesh. Like I said simply peg some pigeon netting here. I would also like to thank Mike for the link and I must say its an amazing hide for the money. Ive seen hides twice the cost that are no better.

I can get bored if I stay in just one spot for longer than half-an-hour (assuming there's no action) and also I need lightweight portability for walking and so I have just ordered one of these today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outdoorphotographygear/sets/72157629702860251/

Steve and Dave who run this business are both wildlife photographers and so really understand what works and they are extremely helpful. I bought neoprene lens covers from them and their service is second to none.

I've got a bag hide and I swear it'll be the death of me. I'm forever getting my feet tangled up in it, eventually I'll end up face down in a ditch, unable to move!

I also have an Ameristep Brickhouse blind. It wasn't the best choice, the windows are a couple of inches too high for every brand of camping chair under the sun.

I've got a bag hide and I swear it'll be the death of me. I'm forever getting my feet tangled up in it, eventually I'll end up face down in a ditch, unable to move!

I also have an Ameristep Brickhouse blind. It wasn't the best choice, the windows are a couple of inches too high for every brand of camping chair under the sun.

....I shouldn't laugh but your description of your experiences makes me think of Mr Bean! :D

I can get bored if I stay in just one spot for longer than half-an-hour (assuming there's no action) and also I need lightweight portability for walking and so I have just ordered one of these today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outdoorphotographygear/sets/72157629702860251/

Steve and Dave who run this business are both wildlife photographers and so really understand what works and they are extremely helpful. I bought neoprene lens covers from them and their service is second to none.

I agree that looks a good piece of kit but like any camo gear it is only any good if you remain motionless and sometimes for long periods. I would feel a bit conspicuous down at the local park too ;)

Just bought one if those bag hides that you can wear like a poncho as you walk about.
Works fine for me.
Aldo bought a fold up Shakespeare fishing chair with back rest and back pack attached. Have done a trial run in the garden and the hide covered me very well. Though neighbours thought I had regressed to my army days, and looked nervously out their windows at a six foot four bloke in a cammed up poncho stalking around his garden.
Will be trying them both out together in the coming week.
I do advise using a peeked baseball type hat u see the hide so as to keep the mesh out your eyes.( a tip copied from you tube)

I use two different ones, each depending on what I need at the time. The first is the Stealth One Man Hide. https://www.birdfood.co.uk/stealth-...fWsUVx6naHFO14usE8qzwn8H9O_vehvFJAaAheN8P8HAQ It's very comfortable but not light. If I only have a shortish distance to travel, that's the one I go for every time.

The other one is a bag hide which is very little weight at all, offers excellent cover and can easily be stowed in a camera bag. Simple to use but you do, of course have to take some kind of stool to sit on. No where near as comfortable as the Stealth One Man Hide.
http://www.gowildlifewatching.co.uk/Wildlife watching bag hides.htm

Last edited:
I agree that looks a good piece of kit but like any camo gear it is only any good if you remain motionless and sometimes for long periods. I would feel a bit conspicuous down at the local park too ;)
I've just started dabbling in bird photography, thst poncho looks the business and nice and light to carry [emoji4]

Back