What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

The Little Grebe has turned out extremely well, Roger and with the sun on it the red (ochre ?) is really vibrant and you caught the loving swans well too, in the fleeting moment. The Pigeon is very punchy. Nice to see some greenery there.

Last edited:
A first for me. hear them but rarely see them Sedge Warbler

26694170597_338e9f3129_b.jpg

and one I haven't seen for a while Dunnock

26694171437_d24e48f106_b.jpg

Last edited:
Now I'm new to all this birding malarkey so be gentle but today was a first for me. A chaffinches chuff if you will. I could hear the calls behind me, turned around with camera to eye and was met with some hot spring action. I do feel I have overstepped some boundary of decency here but hey you're supposed to just record stuff aren't you? Probably not as clear as could be cos of the foliage etc but we weren't on a Burbank back lot..

IMG_6831 by eddyfire, on Flickr

IMG_6837 by eddyfire, on Flickr

After seeing my first blackcap last weekend, I was out for a walk this afternoon and I could hear something absolutely singing its head off in a tree above me. Took me a good couple of minutes to see it; another blackcap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76999116@N05/

Then it started flying about in the bushes and squabbling with other male blackcaps, and following its flight over to another tree led me to see my first female blackcap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76999116@N05/

So half a dozen Gold finches raided the sunflower hearts, and then went for a drink in the pond margins.
By the time I grabbed the Camera, all I ended up with was this cheeky chap raiding the moss from said pond ..
....But its wet you plonker! ]

129A3911.jpg

129A3910.jpg

Last edited:
Had a couple of hours over at Bempton Friday evening and yesterday afternoon

A few shots, the wings were clipped deliberately, its called art :p:oops: :$:D

Puffin 1024.jpg

Gannet 1024.jpg

Gannet 1024 2.jpg

Razorbill 1024.jpg

Last edited:
Mowing the lawn today and I felt a brush of a wing on my shoulder. A sparrowhawk had zipped over the fence and not seen me in time! It landed in a tree about 30 feet away and after about a minute disappeared into next doors garden and then up over the roof with something in it claws.

A little while later I catch sight of a male and female black cap drinking out of the bird bath before disapperaring into the bushes.

And to top it off, a GSW popped into a tree and spend 15 minutes there eating grubs of some sort or another.

Not seen the black caps before in the garden and the GSW is a rare visitor, never visiting whilst I am in the garden, only seen it through the window.

Record shot from last night on the Long-eared Owls.

This time last year we'd had at least 3 sites with breeding pairs, mated up and showing courtship behaviour.

This year, all I've had is two separate birds at two separate sites, no displaying and nothing that indicates possible breeding. Its still early in the year and a few more sites still to check, fingers crossed!

Edit 1024 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back