What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Well caught,Roger. I didn't get to see it.Looking at this photo,that doesn't surprise me..lol.

Bar Tailed Godwits in fly past,today.
fz24xi.jpg

So..it befriends the Barnacles and the WF Geese but has obviously taken a dislike to the noisy Greylags. Very good captures,Roger. Nice to see the RB Goose so clearly.

Blackwits, John

A chap in the hide showed me the flight on his LCD and was adamant they were Bar- tailed, Jan but all I've seen there are what you say, the Black Talied variety. He's scottish and they sound very convincing, you know, ..scottish people..My wife is scottish and she's usually right. I know this for certain because she tells me so....:D.

Black Tailed Godwits they are,then (y)

A chap in the hide showed me the flight on his LCD and was adamant they were Bar- tailed, Jan but all I've seen there are what you say, the Black Talied variety. He's scottish and they sound very convincing, you know, ..scottish people..My wife is scottish and she's usually right. I know this for certain because she tells me so....:D.

Black Tailed Godwits they are,then (y)

Ha! My partner's Scottish and he's never right, so maybe it's just Scottish women..........................;) I know this because he always asks me...........
The number of times I've earwigged an 'expert' and thought 'oh no it's not'. That's what I get for using my eyes and brain instead of my mouth :)
Lovely shot btw

One from Sunday at Ilkley, bit of a mystery duck, but probably a Mallard/Muscovy hybrid...
Pretty bird, what ever its genes say it is (y)

Ha! My partner's Scottish and he's never right, so maybe it's just Scottish women..........................;) I know this because he always asks me...........
The number of times I've earwigged an 'expert' and thought 'oh no it's not'. That's what I get for using my eyes and brain instead of my mouth :)
Lovely shot btw

Lol..my wife is from Ayrshire, 10 miles east of Kilmarnock, a wee village called Newmilns. they pronounce it Newmills..near Darvel., tell your partner.

Last edited:
Nice colours there - and glad we're back on topic instead of any more sweeping generalisations about Scottish people and their perceived tendency to be correct or not.

Three's a crowd ... this male Little Grebe was encroaching on the territory of a breeding pair and was being seen off in no uncertain terms!
Dismal light and too low shutter speed for the shot but thought it was worth keeping. :)

Running-Grebe.jpg

have a look for hook bill domestic breed dutch I think?? on the first it's in there ,but pure ??????
second extended black or bibbed domestic thang:D
cayuga

Three unknown ducks from the weekend

Would have thought a Mallard too big even for that guy :eek: Great shot though!

Had this chap on the bottom rung of the feeder just now. Hefty crop through double glazing. Siskin, I think but am more than happy to be corrected! (Might not be a chap, either...)

sis1.jpg sis2.jpg

Much tidier feeder than the goldfinch above (who kept dropping half sunflower hearts on him/her!)

A Goldfinch and a (different, I think) Siskin sharing the last of the nyjer seeds before the feeders get a scrub! The Goldies usually take over the whole feeder but these two were sharing nicely, although the Goldie was sharing with the floor...

goldsis.jpg

(The stripes down the left side are reflections rather than banding.)

Back