What Camera For College Student

Edit My Images
Yes
My Daughter is thinking of doing a A level Photography Course next September and will need a 35mm SLR for the course. Can anyone recommend a good one for her to start with. Last year I had one sitting in the cupboard gathering dust, a Pentax A with other lenses. So I decided to sell it all to put the money to wards another lens for my digital SLR.

Sods law sell it all and them my daughter says she would like to do the course along with media studies and IT. So now on the lookout for another, any help appreciated.

get a nice pentax k1000... great camera, fantastic light meter, not too expensive and the lenses are ten-a-penny

thats what i've got for college anyway! x

If it was for me I'd like a nice OM2n or similar but they are still commanding a bit of a hefty price premium if it's just for a college course, you could however get a nice OM10 with manual adapter and a couple of lenses for around £20. For some reason OM10's just are not selling on the bay at the minute I've watched a few and they are all ending with no bidders.

I was in a similar position. I shoot with a Canon DSLR and had to do a few weeks film on my C&G course.

I got a Canon EOS film camera because I could use most of my lenses with my film and digital camera. So maybe you want to consider this (or perhaps you would prefer your daughter to not be 'borrowing' your lenses all the time!).

Anything will be suitable as long as it has some kind of metering (otherwise you'll need to buy a light meter also).

Cameras are always turning up on here and ebay...

My college had Pentax K1000's which they'd throw at anyone who hadn't got a camera yet so they're obviously sturdy reliable old cameras.
From my personal experience though I'd suggest the Olympus OM10, they're a cracking camera for the money and you can get one on Ebay for peanuts. Stick something like the Zuiko 35-105mm zoom on it and you're away.

Mind you I got my OM2n on ebay for £41 in the Summer, so you can go quite a way up the range without exactly breaking the bank too...:D

get a nice pentax k1000... great camera, fantastic light meter, not too expensive and the lenses are ten-a-penny

thats what i've got for college anyway! x

+1, its a real workhorse and easy to use. (y)

My uni has about 10 of them.

Hi thanks for the replies, I am just feeling the water at the moment to see whats around. Checking out ebay and the like to see prices before I jump in. We will not know if she has been excepted for the course till after Christmas I think. it may be later than that. If she does get in she would not start till Sept 2009.

But would be interested in any other information on any usable camera. I use a Pentax K10 and have a spare 35-70 Pentax lens that was for a film camera originally so if possible would like a Pentax film camera again. So i can at least give her some tips etc. But any camera at a push will do.

I have a Fujica ST605 and it's a lovely old Film SLR (1978!) but they're not massive;y easy to find I don't think. But if you can it's a lovely camera. Lenses are cheap and plentiful and the metering is spot on too.

Pentax - K1000 or ME super (has a useful auto setting)

Olympus - OM1 or 2 . I'd not go for an OM10 unless you can get a manual adaptor for it as well)

Nikon FM,FM2

Canon A1

Any of them should do you well

Back