What camera for my holiday?

Name
Aiesha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I am an experienced photographer who owns their own photography business and I have all the big DSLR’s and lenses.

However, I am going on holiday to Australia next year and I can’t decide what camera to take I don’t want to take my DSLR and big lenses as it’s too much to carry around. I was thinking of getting a new GoPro but I just don’t like the fact that I can’t zoom in on things.

Any suggestions on good travel cameras which won’t break the bank as it’s only for holiday and I may also get one of the older gopros to take with a compact camera too!

Last edited:
The LX100II is a great compact - reviewed recently in AP. I have an R6 now that will be my travel camera when we do that again one day.

If it was me I’d try and pick up a cheap Fuji XE-2 or 3 and a used 18-55mm, you’d probably get the combo for around £500-600. You’d get really excellent shots in a fairly compact package.

Hi guys I am an experienced photographer who owns their own photography business and I have all the big DSLR’s and lenses.

However, I am going on holiday to Australia next year and I can’t decide what camera to take I don’t want to take my DSLR and big lenses as it’s too much to carry around. I was thinking of getting a new GoPro but I just don’t like the fact that I can’t zoom in on things.

Any suggestions on good travel cameras which won’t break the bank as it’s only for holiday and I may also get one of the older gopros to take with a compact camera too!
Really?? every make and model thats some collection you have

When I travel (not often these days) I have a Canon G3X (with EV) and Sony RX100 M7. Both small and lightweight. The G3X is a bit slow but has an equivalent 600mm zoom. The Sony is fantastic for advanced features and and very small (will fit in my pocket) but the zoom is only an equivalent 200mm. I expect you could get either second hand for a reasonable price.If I was to choose between the two I would go for the Sony - so long as you can get along with the Sony style menu system.

A go-pro is a good idea for action stuff or when it may get wet but not amazing for stills (that said mine was the 4).

If I was going to Oz I would want to get great images so would be inclined to take DSLRs as many compacts just won't cut it for me. The Fuji XE2 is a good shout above but something I have done is just to take a Fuji X100F or V. I have taken this on holiday and its DSLR quality (DX sensor). Great camera and yes, the fixed 35mm may be an issue some of the time but for 95% plus of shots was not an issue. Can even fit in a belt pouch so in a way, nothing to carry! Lens is excellent and I would alway prefer a quality sensor and lens to a more versatile camera that is lower in IQ.

If it was me I’d try and pick up a cheap Fuji XE-2 or 3 and a used 18-55mm, you’d probably get the combo for around £500-600. You’d get really excellent shots in a fairly compact package.
I tend to use my X-Pro 2 and 18-55 mostly when travelling. I sometimes use the X-E1 and it is also great for still subjects. The X-E2 would be a great camera for this I’d say, though I guess it depends what zoom ranges you need with this combo.

Another vote for the rx100 range.

I ahve gopro 7 and tried it on holiday.,. not good

i am the top end canon dslrs and no point taking them on holiday unless your doing some close up nature

as you should be aware its not what your taking pics od.. its what your going to do wiht them.. i presume your not going to be printing posters out.. family album at best or facebook

I use the camera featured in this thread that I bought off this forum years ago.. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-lumix-lx7-thread.433248/page-14

works perfect for all my holiday needs.. better than the dslr in some cases like panaramics.. I am on holiday i dont want to spend time setting up tripods and blah blah i just want to take the picture.. the above is fairly old and can be picked up for maybe 100 quid or so.. but dont let that put you off...

I was in a similar situation looking for a 'holiday' camera some years back - ended up getting a Sony A6000, as I found that the smaller compacts (rx100 was one I tried) just felt too small when I tried to take a shot with them - the A6000 was large enough to feel comfortable while small enough to be easy to carry.
Definitely worth trying a few different models in a shop to see how they feel for you.

Another vote for the Rx100. Ive found the image quality excellent. I’ve got the mk6 which has the 200mm zoom at the expense of one stop slower than the mk7. I find the extra zoom incredibly useful for travel. The handling of the camera can be improved considerably by getting one of the leather half cases with a metal grip. Still fits in my shorts pocket but feels so much better to shoot with and the case adds some protection292C3750-36BF-46E4-AF4D-92D607FAE66B.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe just think about a DSLR and just the one compact lens? A relatively compact standard-ish fast prime maybe?

In the past I've taken one camera and lens but more recently I've taken my Sony A7 and 35mm f2.8 and also a Panasonic TZ100 (a 1" sensor compact with a 25-250mm zoom) for the odd wider or longer picture.

I'll suggest one of the travel zooms from Panasonic or Sony.

I currently use a TZ70 and a HX90. Either will fit in a pocket or in a tiny pouch on your belt, will give you an effective range from 24mm~720mm and with a couple of spare batteries will provide a lot of photography for surprisingly little money...

Cameras Sony HX90 and Panasonic TZ70 DSC01601.JPG

Prepare to get 101 opinions from 100 photographers. :LOL:

I love taking pictures of new and exotic places, but have always been disappointed using tiny sensor cameras. For a special trip like that in your position, I would either take a Sony A7III and 24-105 or Tamron 28-200, OR for lower weight an Olympus E-M5 and 14-100. I'd also pack a fast 35mm equivalent prime for low light or street work.

I wouldn't go smaller than M43 because I think you would be disappointed if you have pro level kit

If I were in your position I'd opt for a Fuji X-T 2 or 3 with the 16-80 zoom, it covers a great focal range and had OIS plus weather sealing. If budget stretched I would also take something like either the Panasonic LX100 which is very compact but has good focal range and id M43 sensor so IQ is better than the 1 inch sensor compacts or a second Fuji body witha fast prime for evenings out in the low light..

Last edited:
I love taking pictures of new and exotic places, but have always been disappointed using tiny sensor cameras.
Everyone's mileage varies and one human's success is another human's failure.

I've had results that please me from small sensors...

Panasonic FX55...
Le Sorrelle in Canary Wharf Basin FX55 1020080.JPG
`
Nikon Coolpix S10...
Austrian police officer in the Zillertal S10 NIK_1082.jpg

Canon Ixus 70...
Downcliffe House Filey Ixus 70 0599.JPG

Canon TZ40...
Frog in the garden TZ40 1020277.JPG

Sony HX90...
Panorama Sony HX90 8GB 09 DSC00517-19.jpg

Last edited:
The one thing I liked about the zoom on the RX10IV is if you like taking pictures of people you can do it from a long way away without them noticing because it doesn't have a lens that sticks out 18 inches so you could be taking a picture of anything

I took this from quite a distance20170906_181635.jpg with a RX10iii

Last edited:
iPhone 13 Pro.

If I really have to bring a ‘proper’ camera then either my X-Pro 3 + 23mm or my Rolleiflex and a few 5 packs of Portra 400.

I’ve tried numerous small cameras including the Panasonic LX100 mk 1, but none quite hit the mark. I’ve now settled on the Canon G1X Mk3, which is a DX sensor camera with a 24-70 zoom, tilt screen, wifi and loads of other features in a miniature body. Ok so the zoom isn’t fast at the long end, but other than that I’ve not found anything to dislike, other than the purchase price new (but they’re more reasonable secondhand). If you can live with the limited zoom (which is similar to the Panasonic LX100) then it’s a fabulous travel camera.

If I were in your position I'd opt for a Fuji X-T 2 or 3 with the 16-80 zoom, it covers a great focal range and had OIS plus weather sealing. If budget stretched I would also take something like either the Panasonic LX100 which is very compact but has good focal range and id M43 sensor so IQ is better than the 1 inch sensor compacts or a second Fuji body witha fast prime for evenings out in the low light..

I'd go with this but I'd stick the 18-135 on the front for the extra flexibility.

Over the years, I've tried an assortment of compacts and bridges rather than interchangeable lens solutions but now take a Fuji system as it covers pretty much every eventuality at a high level of quality. Smaller than the similar Nikon FF kit I used to take!!!

Similar situation here, I just bought an X-Pro3 and a couple of primes and am loving it - not only is it fun to use, surprisingly good (even compared to my R5), it's **so tiny**!!

(I know there are smaller..)

If you're doing a lot of action, then a GoPro is a fun thing, but its core feature is video / extreme sports.

Either phone, or compact cameras, or even a small micro 4/3

I use a Canon G1X.

My answer hasn't really changed since you last asked the question in August.

Don't panic Lez, you still have the biggest one. :D

I know :)

- I just do NOT believe her bold statement she has all the DSLRs and all the lenses- not even MPB have that many :) beats me why people make such stupid claims

"Hi guys I am an experienced photographer who owns their own photography business and I have all the big DSLR’s and lenses."

Les

As a PS she did not even acknowledge my comments

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ95 which also has 4K- good zoom and more features thn you can shake a stick at, yet small enought to fit into a pocket. Next holiday I won't be taking a Heavy DSLR (Nikon D810) but this and a Sony FDR-AX53 hanycam which also takes good stills.
Have to admit I am heading more towards video work which I find more interesting

Last edited:
I know :)

- I just do NOT believe her bold statement she has all the DSLRs and all the lenses- not even MPB have that many :) beats me why people make such stupid claims
A bit harsh I think, it was just colloquially expressed ;)

As a PS she did not even acknowledge my comments
Fair point!

The OP hasn't bothered to acknowledge any replies here yet. I wouldn't expect such an amateurish question from an "experienced photographer. " She sure duped quite a few, though!
She’s been a member since last year so I accepted it as genuine but not well phrased but then a lot of people phrase their questions badly when asking for help. Commonest thing is not to mention the make or the OS if computers/phones :(.

I have this problem, what camera to take on holiday as my 7Dii DSLR and lenses is just too much bulk to carry around.
Many years ago I purchased a Sony NEX7R and some lenses which gives me the creative freedom ( even though this is challenged by the poor Sony menu ) if an opportunity arises while on holiday.
The holidays in question are City breaks, beach holidays etc as I am not going to epic vista locations or F1, motor racing or safari !
For me the Sony A6600 is my next purchase for this role as it is still small enough to put in a bump bag or jacket pocket and has plenty of scope for creative moments.

The OP hasn't bothered to acknowledge any replies here yet. I wouldn't expect such an amateurish question from an "experienced photographer. " She sure duped quite a few, though!
NOT me she didn't :)

She’s been a member since last year so I accepted it as genuine but not well phrased but then a lot of people phrase their questions badly when asking for help. Commonest thing is not to mention the make or the OS if computers/phones :(.
Well, I hope she finds a camera that suits her purpose.

NOT me she didn't :)
It gave us a chance to kick around the old "small sensor and long lens versus big sensor and short lens" debate. That never grows old... :naughty: :coat:

I’ve been back and read her other threads and really there isn't anything spammy etc that I can see and she did respond with thanks in some so I don’t really see any reason to treat her as other than genuine :(.

Got to say it, because nobody else has - some of the replies in this thread are awful.

- Oh diddums, didn't the OP reply to you directly thanking you for your magical insights?
- Oh no, she's claiming she has 'all the lenses' - not even **I** have *all* the lenses, she's clearly a liar and needs to be burnt or banned.
- Why should it take someone that's been here for years to pronounce publicly if we can treat her as genuine?

To me, this comes across as sexist bullying of someone newish to the forum and is not OK.

Got to say it, because nobody else has - some of the replies in this thread are awful.

- Oh diddums, didn't the OP reply to you directly thanking you for your magical insights?
- Oh no, she's claiming she has 'all the lenses' - not even **I** have *all* the lenses, she's clearly a liar and needs to be burnt or banned.
- Why should it take someone that's been here for years to pronounce publicly if we can treat her as genuine?

To me, this comes across as sexist bullying of someone newish to the forum and is not OK.
Thanks, I was beginning to think I was an idiot :).

Back