Beginner What camera to buy?

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all!
So I'm looking at getting a (reasonably) affordable camera for people / portrait shots but have no idea where to start?!
I have looked at some reviews etc and a lot of people mentioned the Canon EOS 4000D...

Does anyone own this camera or possibly recommend a different one?
I'm totally new to this so any help is appreciated
Cheers

There are no bad cameras, it’s purely down to budget and what features you want.
I’d also highly recommend going to a camera shop and trying various models and makes, as what feels great for one, feels awful for another.
Also don’t discount mirrorless cameras, much lighter but quality as good, if not better to a dslr.

The lens is more important that the camera body. I’d rather spend several hundred on a quality lens and get an older second hand body, than spend hundreds on a new body and cheap out on the lens.

Hi it was a difficult decision I remember going through. In the end I went Nikon d3500 and not regretting it at all, even the kit lens with it does a decent enough job. I know this probably doesn't help if you have your eye on the Canon but as an affordable entry DSLR I stand by my choice.

What's your budget? For portrait work the camera is less important, and it's more about lens focal length and lighting, as Tom said.

Thanks everyone. To be honest for my first camera I'll probably get a 2nd hand one from MPB, budget approx £300.00

within your budget don't forget you will need a memory card a lens and a card reader for your computer. Then there is things like getting spare batteries a camera bag possibly filters. To be honest I don't think £300 will get you much, but what do i know. What i will say is if your going down the second hand route check out the camera shutter actuations, A high shutter count camera is or should sell for far less than a low shutter count one as it is near the end of use before it packs up.

you really need to go into a proper camera shop and hold a couple to see if it is easy to grip, not only that you then can check out the menu in the rear screen to see if it is easy to understand, not necessarily buy one but to find out first.
Decide if you want a crop sensor or a full frame camera and know the difference between them, or maybe possible a compact camera.

a for prices check here may give some idea

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

mind blowing isn't it ;)

Last edited:
within your budget don't forget you will need a memory card a lens and a card reader for your computer. Then there is things like getting spare batteries a camera bag possibly filters. To be honest I don't think £300 will get you much, but what do i know. What i will say is if your going down the second hand route check out the camera shutter actuations, A high shutter count camera is or should sell for far less than a low shutter count one as it is near the end of use before it packs up.

you really nee to go into a proper camera shop and hold a couple to see if it is easy to grip, not only that you then can check out the menu in the rear screen to see if it is easy to understand, not necessarily by one but to find out first.
Decide if you want a crop sensor or a full frame camera and know the difference between them, or maybe possible a compact camera.

a for prices check here may give some idea

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

mind blowing isn't it ;)

This is mad :ROFLMAO: think I need to go into a shop!
thanks, appreciate it

If you did want to go full frame, you might be able to get a used D600 or D700 for £300, you'll need a lens and the old 80-200 2.8 afd is useful for your purposes, utter bargain at about £300-350 for the two ring version with the tripod mount. Or £200 for the push pull version but it focuses slower and doesn't have a tripod mount - may not be a big deal. If you prefer a prime, the 85 1.8G is excellent for portraits (and the cheaper 1.8D version is good too). I'd also recommend this lens on a crop sensor body.

Last edited:
£300 for a body can get you a lot these days, from what you say I don't think you'll be shooting everything at 5-6 frames per second. That budget is unlikely to yield cameras that have been used so much that their shutter life is about to expire (unless it's a D500/7D).... Any of the 16-24MP from the main brands are more than adequate.

if you are looking to do people shots then you can't go wrong with a 35mm or 50mm on a crop APS-C body - can be got for less than £100 and the quality from these lenses irrespective of brand is excellent.

Might be of interest, i shall soon be listing up a Nikon d5200 and 35mm f/1.8.
I bought it primarily for my YouTube channel as a review and demo unit and it’s had very little use outside. It’s a brilliant natural light portrait set up.

Nikons dslr or Fuji mirrorless. Maybe Nikon d5500 or Fuji xe2 / xt1

you mentioned that you want to do people and portraits. Is this for your self or do you want to go further and earn money from it

you mentioned that you want to do people and portraits. Is this for your self or do you want to go further and earn money from it

I'd like to eventually make money from it if possible, but to start just something to get the ball rolling as a hobby

I use an entry level Nikon DSLR and the 35mm cheap prime, it produces some lovely people photos. Although if I was starting now, knowing what I know now, I would buy a pre owned D7****, rather than a new entry level camera.

If I did not already have a few older Compacts and a Canon G7X, and a DSLR with an assortment of lenses, I might be tempted to look at Fuji. I do like Fuji colours, and they do look good. Oh, and that is another thing with DSLRs, they are bulky and look ugly.

To the OP - photos of people in their surroundings and more conventional portraits have a different set of requirements. For situational people shots where you want the background included it's OK to use a modest wide angle lens (say 35mm equivalent) but that will make faces look distorted for closer portrait work, for which you should be looking for at least 75mm equivalent focal length lenses, preferably a bit longer, to prevent big noses, bulging foreheads etc.

There's also a set of photographic skills that need to be developed in order to create portraits, but that's going to come when you start using a camera.

What to buy?

With a budget of £300 you're a bit limited. I'd probably try for a used Nikon D3XXX or D5XXX series camera with a kit lens (18-55mm equivalent to 28-80mm) and possibly a 50mm f1.8G lens for the portrait work. As an alternative you could look for a used Olympus E-M10 with 14-42 kit lens (28-84mm equivalent) plus a 45mm f1.8 for the portrait work.

The used Nikon D3100 is about £80 on most sites, while the D7000 is about £180. I think I would pay the extra, as you get a much more better camera. Plus, with the D7**** range, you can use the older lenses also. When I changed from the D80 to the D3300, I could no longer use my older lenses, and I have a good few of the old lenses. I wish I had of listened to others on here, and gone for a Nikon with the lens control motor. :(

A canon 550D with a 50mm 1.8.. all second hand will take you back about £150 then that leaves you some money for cards readers bags etc...

hope this helps
Chilt

Back