Beginner what can an slr do that a mirrorless can't

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I'm planning on upgrading from my little compact. I am very tempted to get a fuji XT1 as it is small enough to carry around more that an slr. What I would like to know is what would I be missing out on by not getting an slr. Any not too technical replies would be very much appreciated :)

The X-T1 is a lovely camera Sue. Where it fails (imo) is off camera flash. Being a fairly new system it just hasn't got the backing that the bigger systems such as Canon and Nikon has. It's also a fairly expensive system to buy into. The newer, more refined lenses amongst the line up are a fair few quid. Excellent quality though which goes without saying.

Canon and Nikon have the lions share of the used market and a lot more third party stuff available for them. I guess it depends which DSLR you're looking at too. The X-T1 is a pretty top end professional mirrorless camera with a lot of features.

Last edited:
Faster autofocus for fast moving subjects seems to be the last remaining advantage of a DSLR over a MILC. Some folk aren't keen on EVFs, but they have the advantage of WYSIWYG exposure preview through the viewfinder.

The added weight of a DSLR also makes it better for bashing nails into posts.

I've been using a Nikon D5100 and a Fuji x-Pro in about equal measure this last year. Both seem very good to me and I enjoy using both. There isn't much difference weight or size-wise and the images look lovely from both (as lovely as my images ever are). Battery life and focussing speed is better on the DSLR whilst the WYSIWYG is great on the Fuji. I have a 35mm prime and an 18-55 zoom on both and cost-wise the lenses were a lot cheaper on the Nikon - although the Fuji lenses are slightly faster and were I to have bought the equivalent for the Nikon I suspect the price would have been comparable. I sold my Panasonic kit recently with the intention of upgrading one of the above cameras - either a D7100 or an XT-1. Been swinging back and forth between both for a month or so. In the end I plumped for the D7100. The main reason was price - I could (and did) get a mint D7100 for a couple of hundred ££ less than a mint XT-1. I also found the XT-1 a tiny bit small. It wasn't a show-stopper and I suspect one day when the used prices come down some more I'll upgrade to that one, too. But there's definitely a point when small size is an issue - I came across that with the LX100. Really fancied one of those, but it was just too small.

Only 2nd time I've posted something on this site - very impressed with the VERY prompt replies guys. Thanks a lot. Managed to work out the technical 'WYSIWYG' :) Nails...posts...mmmmm

If you are considering the Fuji (I have an X-E2 I've also owned an X-Pro1, I can recommend the Fuji X-series) there are a couple of things to bear in mind:

I am a beginner - I got rid of my SLR 40 years ago as went to point and shoot (far too much to carry for snaps). Got a Sony RX100 Mk2 2 years ago and love it, especially in low light as I switch off the flash (I have only used flash as a test) - and am now trying more manual settings (trying to remember them!!) . Only thing is now I am using it more is the optical zoom is a little limiting. I have just got a Nikon D5100 and Tamron 16-300 as walkabout zoom on it as RX100 will be for when need pocket camera or very low light.

Thanks again guys. Lots of really useful info (and so quick!), x factor on in background and an G&T by my side...all pretty good :)

Thanks again guys. Lots of really useful info (and so quick!), x factor on in background and an G&T by my side...all pretty good :)
What is this "x factor"?

Don't you know Arne Dahl is on BBC4? :D

Taping that so I can concentrate when watching it and not be distracted by this site :D

Currently (but allegedly an issue that will be resolved at some point in the not-too-distant future...) Fuji are lacking in the long lens department, with the longest NATIVE lens being the 50-230. However, the lenses up to that point are pretty damn good, although they're not cheap!

Some DSLR manufacturers have more complete systems than mirrorless camera manufactureres.

From personal experience A DSLR will run rings around some mirrorless cameras when tracking very fast noving subjects. Battery life in a DSLR is much better.

I shoot with Canon DSLRs and Olympus mirrorless cameras..

Last edited:
As above the only real advantage of DSLR's is continuous/tracking autofocus and the completeness off the whole system (flash, lens lineup etc). Having said that we're now getting to the point where some mirrorless can probably match entry level DSLRs in AF tracking.

So if you don't shoot fast action and don't want wireless off camera flash then mirrorless could be a better option.

So if you don't shoot fast action and don't want wireless off camera flash then mirrorless could be a better option.

I use wireless off camera flash on my Olympus quite happily. Maybe there is not the wide choice of gear, but there is still plenty. And Olympus do it so well, being the first in the market with TTL flash.

The downside with mirrorless is the pace of change of development of new cameras. Your camera will be superceded quickly by another with more goodies. The mirrorless manufacturers are listening to the users and improving things dramatically. Including adding things to existing cameras in firmware updates.

Last edited:
TBH the X-T1 is quite good for sport. It'll be sweet with the 400mm lens when it arrives. It could do with twin card slots, better battery life and better support from Adobe though.
I'll start by saying I'd love a Fuji system to go alongside my current system.

But sadly this ^ (sorry David) is what's wrong with mirror less right now. It's a great system.... well it will be when we get this, this, and this sorted.

Of course if none of those things are important to you, they're brilliant.

I bought an XT1 about 12 months ago and I have found it to be so good that I have just sold all my Nikon SLR gear. I do a lot of hill walking and so my main area of photography is landscapes and I cannot be happier with the Fuji, its light, the lenses are superb and the results are at least as good as I was getting with my Nikon. There is a problem with not having a long lens yet but as soon as that arrives I will be a happy man. I have to say that the 50-230mm lens for all that it is a cheap is exceptionally sharp.

Grebe1 by Andy, on Flickr

No need to be sorry mate. I too would love a Fooj system to run along side my current setup.

I'm lucky in that I can (and do!) run a D750 based Nikon system alongside the X-T1 based Fuji set up. There are still a few things that the Nikon does better than the Fuji but for most things (especially portability!) the Fuji is the #1 choice these days.

Not really knowing where the OP's interests lie (photographically), it's a bit hard to point towards either type of system and not knowing her budget doesn't make it any easier!

I'm lucky in that I can (and do!) run a D750 based Nikon system alongside the X-T1 based Fuji set up. There are still a few things that the Nikon does better than the Fuji but for most things (especially portability!) the Fuji is the #1 choice these days.

Not really knowing where the OP's interests lie (photographically), it's a bit hard to point towards either type of system and not knowing her budget doesn't make it any easier!

I'm the same but with a 5D3. This used to be my main camera but the XT-1 has taken over. Still get the Canon out when fast AF is needed, like yesterday at the VSCC in The Lakes.

Also switched from DSLR to X-T1 (via X-E1).

I don't do sport or long lens nature, so have no comment on that. It just does what I want it to easily. Aperture, ISO and shutter speed control all at your fingertips with no squinting at menus. Low light shooting is superb. It's light where it needs to be, and the lenses are lovely. I can't see me ever needing to go back to SLR.

While it is true that old established DSLR systems like Canon's, Nikon's and Pentax's are wide and deep and contain as much (lenses, bodies, accessories) as any pro could need, mirrorless systems from the like of Olympus and Panasonic are probably getting to the point where they cater for pretty much everything the average enthusiast wants. Probably Fuji too.

I remember when Olympus came out with the original OM1 (just!). They have always been 'ahead of the curve' so I would say their commitment to m4/3 sensors and mirrorless equipment is a pretty good indicator of what future trends will be.

While it is true that old established DSLR systems like Canon's, Nikon's and Pentax's are wide and deep and contain as much (lenses, bodies, accessories) as any pro could need, mirrorless systems from the like of Olympus and Panasonic are probably getting to the point where they cater for pretty much everything the average enthusiast wants. Probably Fuji too.

I remember when Olympus came out with the original OM1 (just!). They have always been 'ahead of the curve' so I would say their commitment to m4/3 sensors and mirrorless equipment is a pretty good indicator of what future trends will be.
Olympus system is very good, Fuji lens lineup isn't as good IMO although their actual lenses are superb.

I am all mirrorless now,i dont really need the fast AF tracking,miss the long battery life,but i don't miss lunging around the weight,and that was the big thing for me :)

I'm the same but with a 5D3. This used to be my main camera but the XT-1 has taken over. Still get the Canon out when fast AF is needed, like yesterday at the VSCC in The Lakes.

I find that the X-T1's AF can keep up with the VSCC lot, even when they're coming straight at me, my problem with it is that it blacks out for a moment or 2 after each shot, making 5 shot panning bursts a bit hit miss or miss... The D750 is also better at silly high ISOs (6400+)

Thanks again everyone for all your replies. Budget wise I have been given a bit of money which I would like to invest in a camera. The main areas of interest, at the moment, are general photography, dogs (usually stationary) and landscape. Reading through the replies I feel that mirrorless would fit the bill and then some. Being new to posting on this site I'm not sure whether I can ask another question here or whether it should be a new post......I'll ask it here and I'm sure someone will keep me right...Can anyone send me a link where lenses would be explained and...what lens would you start with if I went for the XT1 and like to take general, dogs and landscapes? Thanks

Thanks again everyone for all your replies. Budget wise I have been given a bit of money which I would like to invest in a camera. The main areas of interest, at the moment, are general photography, dogs (usually stationary) and landscape. Reading through the replies I feel that mirrorless would fit the bill and then some. Being new to posting on this site I'm not sure whether I can ask another question here or whether it should be a new post......I'll ask it here and I'm sure someone will keep me right...Can anyone send me a link where lenses would be explained and...what lens would you start with if I went for the XT1 and like to take general, dogs and landscapes? Thanks
Don't discount the Olympus system, smaller and lighter than the X-T1 with better choice of lenses imo. No doubting the quality of the Fuji though.

For landscapes traditionally you want a wide angle (although you can use telephotos etc if you choose to) and I'd recommend at least 24mm (35mm eq). The olympus 12-40mm f2.8 pro (which equates to 24-80mm on the old 35mm film) is a great all purpose lens, taking great landscapes and also good for portraits and pics of pets (assuming they're relatively close). The Fuji 16-55mm f2.8 would be my choice for the X-T1.

Of course there are the all-in one lenses such as the Olly 14-150mm (28-300mm eq) or Fuji 18-135mm (27-202.5mm) but you sacrifice image quality.

Best to keep questions that relate to each other in the same thread, if you split them up people lose track. But do read the X-T1 owners thread in Talk Equipment (and the equivalent X-E2/X-E1 and X-Pro1 threads as the lens advice is the same for all x-series models - we never did get around to a general Fuji-X owners thread)..

Lots of choices with lens set-ups:
  • XF18-55 and XF55-200 - two zooms to cover most eventualities, the both punch well above their weight and should not be regarded as "kit lenses"
  • XF18, XF35, XF60 - the "original trinity" from Fuji that covers a multitude of situations but may have you switching lens more often than using a zoom
  • XF14, XF23, XF56 - the "improved trinity", three very fine lenses indeed
  • XF14, XF23, XF55-200 - my current Fuji set-up which I think is a good balance of performance and flexibility
That's just three options to suit different budgets, there are many more possibilities..

Look out for cameras with IBIS in body stabilisation. The latest ones are very effective, and let you hand hold at incredibly slow shutter speeds.

Cracking thread, this - as a rank beginner i'm about to take the plunge and buy some "proper" kit and make the move from my iphone5 !
I'm a prolific snapper and really want to get behind something good to take my pics to the next level.
I'd more or less decided on a DSLR but i'm being drawn to mirrorless, more for the portability than anything else. More research required i think

The lens that's pretty much welded to my X-T1 is the 18-135. Decent range in terms of focal length and weather resistant to match the X-T1. I've used it for motorsport (hillclimbing) and it copes as well as any other lens does in that situation and there's no problem with image quality up to A3+ print size.

Where it fails (imo) is off camera flash. Being a fairly new system it just hasn't got the backing that the bigger systems such as Canon and Nikon has. It's also a fairly expensive system to buy into.

Agreed, but they've been around long enough now to have sorted their flash issues out. They had to rely on a 3rd party to make a half decent flash for the system.

Look out for cameras with IBIS in body stabilisation. The latest ones are very effective, and let you hand hold at incredibly slow shutter speeds.
Very true, I can hand hold my Olympus EM5-II at 40mm (80mm eq) at 1s, can't get anywhere near that with any of my Nikon VR lenses.

Cracking thread, this - as a rank beginner i'm about to take the plunge and buy some "proper" kit and make the move from my iphone5 !
I'm a prolific snapper and really want to get behind something good to take my pics to the next level.
I'd more or less decided on a DSLR but i'm being drawn to mirrorless, more for the portability than anything else. More research required i think
That would be quite a jump from an iPhone (though not unreasonable if you're committed to the hobby). One other alternative is to move up to the "enthusiast compact". These give you typically a 2.5 - 3 x optical zoom (e.g. 24 - 75mm), or double that length by using various flavours of 'intelligent zoom'. You can't change the lens, but they are much more portable than a system camera. The main choices are:
  • Sony RX100 (1 - IV) - small, capable, but not quite so user friendly; tilting LCD and built-in flash
  • Panasonic LX100 - not as small, but very user friendly; no tilting LCD or built-in flash
  • Canon G7X - I'm afraid I don't know very much about this camera
  • Fuji 100X - the best quality, using full format sensor; unfortunately only a prime lens, 35mm, which some might find restrictive

Hi. I'm planning on upgrading from my little compact. I am very tempted to get a fuji XT1 as it is small enough to carry around more that an slr. What I would like to know is what would I be missing out on by not getting an slr. Any not too technical replies would be very much appreciated :)

I think on a day to day basis you probably wouldn't be missing a great deal. There are a few areas where (to my mind) mirrorless still falls a little behind. Flash and focusing have already been mentioned. The WYSIWYG nature of the viewfinder is great most of the time. It let the camera down badly in the studio (IMO) though. Rendering it unusable. It also doesn't have as good dynamic range as an SLR of the same generation.

But, they're small (ish) things to many. So I'd go for the mirrorless over and SLR for casual use anyday

The WYSIWYG nature of the viewfinder is great most of the time. It let the camera down badly in the studio (IMO) though. Rendering it unusable.
Only if you forget to turn it off.

If its an electronic viewfinder (like the XT-1) you can't turn it off :rolleyes:

Turn off exposure preview and the camera will increase the gain to make the viewfinder usable in pretty much any situation. Which is what Alastair meant I'm sure.

Turn off exposure preview and the camera will increase the gain to make the viewfinder usable in pretty much any situation. Which is what Alastair meant I'm sure.

So am I....but without being funny have you tried it? In that situation its unworkable

Back