What Canon-branded RF lenses do you want to see in 2023?

According to this Canon rumour the CEO of Canon JP promised to release 8 new lenses annually for the next 4 years.

If this is true what are the top 8 RF lenses do you want to see by this time next year?
In all honesty I really don't care. I have got a camera that I am really happy with, and I have got a set of lenses that I am really happy with. I have no intention of buying anything in the next few years.

Something that actually takes advantage of the shorter flange distance to make smaller and lighter lenses than the current ones. Now that there are APS-C bodies available (sort-of!) I expect many of the lenses on their road-map will be crop-sensor ones.

Something that actually takes advantage of the shorter flange distance to make smaller and lighter lenses than the current ones. Now that there are APS-C bodies available (sort-of!) I expect many of the lenses on their road-map will be crop-sensor ones.
I always wondered why Canon/Nikon/Sony did not take advantage of this by offering a 50/1.0 or 85/1.0

A 150-600 L. I know we have the 100-500, 100-400 etc but that's a focal length that would interest me, especially if it were cheaper than the 100-500.

I suppose I'm asking too much and Canon need to deliver my R7 before I even get close to considering RF glass.

I always wondered why Canon/Nikon/Sony did not take advantage of this by offering a 50/1.0 or 85/1.0
There was 50/1.0 Canon ages ago. It was mega expensive and not very sharp. I don't think there is anything stopping them making one for RF mount but you should be rather happy with 1.2 version. It excels all charts and all. I just don't have the confidence in their longevity.

Version of the RF100-500 BUT internal zoom and maybe f4 with built in ext like the 200-400. . . . I would buy it tomorrow!

.DAVID.

Version of the RF100-500 BUT internal zoom and maybe f4 with built in ext like the 200-400. . . . I would buy it tomorrow!

.DAVID.
Just think of the size that would be. The 200-400 was pretty big due to the f4 aperture. Going longer/wider by 100mm each end and still being f4 with in built teleconverter it would likely be huge and weight quite a lot.

I’d like to see a 400mm f4 RF replacement especially if it was along the lines of Nikons new 400mm f4.5. It would be a great lens and nice to see in the line up though not one I’d probably buy. Also filling in the gaps of the missing 200mm f2 and 300mm f2.8 lenses would be good to see too, especially if they had built in teleconverters too.

I’m pretty happy with my current line up of RF lenses. I’d love to add a RF14-35 f4. I tested that lens recently and it was stunning. That’s probably my only gap at present, well that and a macro lens but they always seem a better idea than reality for me.

If I’m honest the RF 100-500 covers all my wildlife needs and has impressed so far as it’s very sharp and very versatile (I do prefer a zoom over a prime lens). I personally don’t feel there’s really a need for a 150-600 unless it’s not an L lens and is along the lines of the RF100-400. The 100-500 pretty much covers most of the 150-500 focal range, especially if your camera has room for a bit of cropping to gain that extra bit of reach back. The RF100-500 is sharp throughout its focal range which is unusual for a zoom lenses as the long end is usually weaker. its also compact and lightweight too which for me is a big plus.

Personally I’m using the 100-500 as if it’s a 100-350mm f5.6 lens with a built in 1.4x teleconverter. That way you can take it up to 500mm f7.1 at a twist of the zoom ring rather than flicking a teleconverter switch or attaching one. When you look at it that way it just makes more sense to me. it’s pretty much my perfect wildlife long zoom lens as I now favour lightweight and compactness over heavy large fast long lenses.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see a long macro lens , 200mm, with IS it would be a niche lens though so probably be a while before they make something like that
would also like to see a direct replacement for the current 100mm macro , the RF 100mm goes to a higher magnification than 1:1 but has focus shift, I would prefer they did an RF version of the current EF design which is an amazing lens

Would be nice to see a long macro lens , 200mm, with IS it would be a niche lens though so probably be a while before they make something like that
would also like to see a direct replacement for the current 100mm macro , the RF 100mm goes to a higher magnification than 1:1 but has focus shift, I would prefer they did an RF version of the current EF design which is an amazing lens
Use EF version of either 180 or 100 l.

IS is actually not strictly necessary any longer due to ibis. It's good enough.

A modernised replica of sigma 150 f2.8 would be interesting, or perhaps they could just do 135 f2l with enhanced close focus like 2.5:1 and none of stm nonsense

Use EF version of either 180 or 100 l.

IS is actually not strictly necessary any longer due to ibis. It's good enough.

A modernised replica of sigma 150 f2.8 would be interesting, or perhaps they could just do 135 f2l with enhanced close focus like 2.5:1 and none of stm nonsense

good point actually I hadn’t thought about ibis
I actually already have the older non IS version of the Sigma 150 2.8, haven’t used it for ages will give that a try out

Back