What did you get for Christmas ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I got this brilliant T-Shirt - and a new camera :banana: (torch really)

Photo%20Xmas%20Shirt.jpg

"A unique exploration of everything from abandoned power plants, hospitals, asylums, schools, theatres, steel mills, prisons, factories, hotels, cathedrals, blast furnaces, convents to a boat graveyard." :D

"A unique exploration of everything from abandoned power plants, hospitals, asylums, schools, theatres, steel mills, prisons, factories, hotels, cathedrals, blast furnaces, convents to a boat graveyard." :D

Brilliant - Love stuff like that.

I used to watch a TV show ages ago called something like "Urban Explorers" and it was a group of young lads who got into abandoned buildings in the USA like old Missile silos etc. When they did they always had a goal like find the launch buttons or find the morgue in an old insane asylum.... it was not morbid or anything just fascinating but it disappeared probably cancelled

Not taken pics, but I have to say I did rather well this year, thanks to the lovely Mr QS ...

A very nice wide angle zoom ... Canon 10-22, Helicon Focus software because I fancy doing a bit of focus stacking, a brilliant 80cm light tent (with lights/stands/backdrops etc) and and couple of very good books on how to use it, so no excuses for not at least trying this year!!

My photographic New Year resolution is to take fewer, but better images in 2015, so here I go.

Just as soon as I've digested a HUGE dinner and sobered up, I'll be out there ....

Brilliant - Love stuff like that.

I used to watch a TV show ages ago called something like "Urban Explorers" and it was a group of young lads who got into abandoned buildings in the USA like old Missile silos etc. When they did they always had a goal like find the launch buttons or find the morgue in an old insane asylum.... it was not morbid or anything just fascinating but it disappeared probably cancelled

Nice one.. I'll have to see if I can track that series down (y)

Another similar style book on my list is one called Soviet Ghosts by Rebecca Litchfield.. Might be worth a look at that one as well if you're into that subject matey :)

Well I didn't get anything, spending Christmas on my own as my wife and I split the end of October

Actually that is not technically true as last Saturday my 8 year old gave me a CD of her and her class mates singing Christmas carols

Well I didn't get anything, spending Christmas on my own as my wife and I split the end of October

Actually that is not technically true as last Saturday my 8 year old gave me a CD of her and her class mates singing Christmas carols
Sorry to hear that mate, you need to get out tomorrow and treat yourself. However I bet you were well chuffed with the CD from your little'un.

The only thing I had this year was a new Telescope so hopefully I will get some good shots with that of the moon etc.

Sorry to hear that mate, you need to get out tomorrow and treat yourself. However I bet you were well chuffed with the CD from your little'un.

The only thing I had this year was a new Telescope so hopefully I will get some good shots with that of the moon etc.

Thanks mate

Yes I was well cuffed with the CD, it is very well done and they even sing one of the songs partly in French

Have just treated myself just now as it happens, I am having to put a new house together so have just bought myself a tumble dryer LOL

Yeah very sorry to hear that tuff at any time but especially this time of year. What about family or friends you could go and see or invite over. But as said above certainly treat yourself to a NICE gift and remember when you are so far down you can only go up mate

For me my Xmas present actually arrived a week or so ago in the form of a Canon Pro 10 and I love it, the prints from it were epic and anyway today my sister gave me a £30 amazon voucher so I treated myself to a pack of panoramic paper

Fotospeed Panoramic PF Gloss 270gsm 25 Sheets https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J3TKTUK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_3UfNub1GBAH2Z

....Eventually you may find that you come back together on Christmas Day as a family although it may take a year or two. I had a very acrimonious divorce about 10 years ago but we now always spend Christmas Day together with our daughter who shares her time 50-50 with us (without any court orders etc whatsoever). Afterall, why should any child suffer because her parents split up! My ex-wife and I take it in turns to host Christmas lunch and we always have a great time. Our daughter treats us very equally and is now 23yo and independent.

I would encourage any split parents to make a big effort to do this for the sake of their children.

As far as I am concerned I absolutely love being on my own and having no responsibilities or commitments to a wife (or girlfriend) - The freedom to do exactly as I like every single day is wonderful. I retired early a long time ago.

So, as one door closes, another door opens. Life is what you make it, Keith.

Sorry to hear that Keith.

I got some books, aftershave, a squirrel box, some bird feeding stuff and then the big kid in me asked for some new Scalextric cars - because I've miles of track in the attic and (to my Wife's delight) my boys are just about old enough to know it's there ;)

No socks though !!

Being on my own with the children too I tend not to get anything, a little something from the parents that's usually it..

My daughter (15) surprised me this year though with a big Yankee candle jar though and more so the fact she tried her hardest to get a specific one we both fell in love with last year (red velvet) she couldn't but hunted to find the closest smelling (Christmas cookie)... It made my day!

She's now walking around saying she's the best daughter lol!

Boxing Day today and I'm totally alone but that means I have the tv controls and all the goodies :D :D

Not a lot!

Had a nice, quiet day yesterday (well, not exactly quiet but I can tune the MiL's voice out quite well!!!) with an excellent carvery lunch (other people do all the prep and washing up) and the exchange of a couple of gifts. What little I did get was what I wanted - a Triumph belt buckle, the latest Pink Floyd CD (special edition), a furry flying type helmet (for use in Mrs Nod's car when the roof's down in winter!) and some chocolate (always welcome!!!) Lunch was also a gift from the MiL, although it did mean we had to fetch her from her place about 20 miles up the valley and return her in the afternoon. I was hoping for yesterday's weather today to take a bike out for a boxing day run but the white christmas must have arrived a day late and has melted so the ride wouldn't be as much fun as it would have been in the sunshine we had yesterday.

A nice new D7100, gonna have some great fun with it at the mother-in-laws today.

Damn this AF system is something else compared to the D3200! :)

Hope you all had a great day yesterday and enjoy even more merriment today!

A new laptop (Asus ultrabook) probably not 100% ideal for photo editing but certainly easier to lug around than my old Dell XPS. Just sorting out recovery files and then on to loading LR5 etc... :)

Win8.1 is dreadful :-( roll on Win10 release next year.

Someone kindly gave me the flu followed by spending two days over Xmas in bed. Which being the lazy git I am, normally would be ace, but two days shivering and sweating with hot and cold flushes, coughing my guts up constantly, nose streaming etc etc was not my idea of fun :oops: :$

That is awful flu is terrible.... I've. Had it a few times

The day before Christmas eve I was ill all day on the toilet floor being sick but thankfully it was only one day

I had a Sigma 105 macro lens, a wireless remote and other none photography related pressies. :banana:

Loads of nerdy photo goodies (the joy of an Amazon wishlist).

The highlights: a roll of cinefoil and Exposure by Jane Bown. :banana:

Like Robin said, it helps to not get too acrimonious and things will get better, both my 2nd wife and I let the other parent have the kids on Christmas morning, then we do 'Christmas' as a family on Boxing Day. It works great for all concerned, much better than the kids dashing about or us just arguing over who does what and when.

I'm feeling very lucky I got a Remote Control timer for my Camera and a digital TTL bounce flashgun .

I was very lucky. I said that I wanted to do more landscape stuff outdoors. I got thermal sportswear, new wellies, big stopper and some hard edged grads!

Obviously had been a very good boy this year!!

Camera wise I got a infrared filter and a book on Infrared photography. Now to search the forum for tips and knowledge on how to use it. :)

Just few photography books: Travel photography, portrait & wedding photography from my mother :)

Sadly, I don't have a rich wife/girlfriend to give me a Hasselblad camera LOL

Last edited:
Spent the day on my own, well me and the dog.
Just moved into a new flat just before xmas so bought a new cooker.
I want to treat myself to an Oly XA this month.

Back