What do about fences?

Edit My Images
No
I've posted some of my photos to illustrate my question, but I think the 'Talk' forum may be more appropriate than the photo forum?

I took my Fuji XE-2 and XF 55-200 zoom to a Supercar Street racing event in Thailand, but found that the entire track was encased in armco and high level catch fencing. Even thr grandstand was below fence height, so only the towers for the TV cameras were over fence height.

I tried panning to try and blur the fence, but at slower shutter speeds (1/60) my panning technique was poor, and panning also will not help with horizontal fence wires. I used manual focus on tbe track, auto aperture and manual shutter speeds.

How do others cope with fences? Any tips?

1/125
2017_0701_17225800_20170703191838377.jpg
1/60
2017_0701_17201300(2)_20170703191903214.jpg

Last edited:

That type of fencing requires only one solution:
shoot from another, more adequate location.

That type of fencing requires only one solution:
shoot from another, more adequate location.

Unfortunately this option was limited to just two positions that were a long way from the track. There were some openings for the safety crews, but these only provided shots of the cars moving away. I arrived early and scouted the course.

Also not able to get to thr fence itself.

May need to see how I could get a press pass for next time, as every "press" photographer I could see was only interested in photographing the pit and promo girls.

2017_0701_17330500.jpg

2017_0701_17521900.jpg

Lovely pair of exhaust pipes. What did that poor girl sit on?

Sometimes fences provide good foreground, this one could have done with a promo girl to warm it up.

We went for a walk around the rim of this crater in the summer. The path is very narrow and rocky. Some lunatic was going round on a bike.

Otherwise, I suggest getting on the other side of the fence.

DSC01979-2.jpg

With fences that intrusive, just sit back and watch the racing and enjoy it rather than get frustrated with the shots you can't get. If you can get to the pits/paddock, shoot there or again, just enjoy the "views"!

If you can't get close to the fence, there's not much you can, the only option might be to use a fast aperture and try and blur it out with depth of field, focusing during panning can be a challenge as it can pick up the wires as you move round. Best option, enjoy the races :)

Wise advice. In the end I did just watch the racing and walk around the exhibition stands. It's surprising how much you miss when watching a race through a viewfinder!

Back