What do I need?

Edit My Images
Yes
Just booked a holiday. 1 week in Egypt followed by a weeks safari in Kenya.

I have a canon 20D and have only just started collecting lenses. As most of my interest is going to be wildlife photography I have already splashed out on the 100-400L, so that should be Kenya sorted.

I also have the 50mm 1.8 II. I was thinking I probably need something wider (due to the 1.6 crop factor) as the pyramids are pretty big :)

Does that make sense? If so, has anybody got the Canon Wide Angle EF 24mm f/2.8? Any good?

Thanks

David

A wide angle prime if you can afford it and lots and lots of memory!

IanC_UK said:
Steep said:
A wide angle prime if you can afford it and lots and lots of memory!

Yeah LOTS of memory or a device to copy the pics off and onto a hard drive like this http://www.thephotographyforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=636

I have an Archos photo jukebox thingy. 20Gb I think.

Used it in South Africa, but it broke before I returned! Lost a lot of pics, I was gutted. They have replaced it with a new one, but to be honest I don't trust them anymore. I have now got 5x 1GB CF cards.

I'd recommend that you get a bean bag or similar, fantastic for resting on the car while on safari.

take it away with you with nothing inside and buy beans while your out there, saves the space and weight.

digitalfailure said:
I'd recommend that you get a bean bag or similar, fantastic for resting on the car while on safari.

take it away with you with nothing inside and buy beans while your out there, saves the space and weight.

Thats a great idea, will definately sort that out. Quite fancy the 17-40 now, probably the most flexible to use.

DaveG said:
Quite fancy the 17-40 now, probably the most flexible to use.

I use this lens quite a lot, it virtually lives on my camera and has never failed to impress me. Its sharp, has good contrast, colour defination and is built well. I doubt that it will be a bad choice and have never heard of anyone that has used one to have not fallen in love with it.

digitalfailure said:

And then when you've finished with the beans don't just throw them away, give them to one of your African hosts. :wink:

Thanks guys, after reading some of the reviews I have ordered the 17-40mm :) .

I got the camera at christmas and promised the wife I would collect the lenses over a number of years. This is the 4th I have bought! Expensive hobby this, just need to learn how to take a decent picture now :D

Good choice Dave. The wife will forgive you when you have framed masterpieces from your hols all round the house! :LOL:

DaveG said:
Thanks guys, after reading some of the reviews I have ordered the 17-40mm :) .

That lens is lovely, I was in Jessops today and tried it on my 20D. It really does finish the camera.

Should get my hands on the 17-40mm tomorrow :)

Can anybody suggest a decent make of circular polarizer? I take it I don't need a "slim" mount as even wide open there will be no vignetting caused by the filter mount due to the 1.6 crop factor?

thanks

ps: next question will be on flash guns, so start reading up now :wink:

i got a pack of tiffen filters for less than £20 from 7dayshop, 3 filters in a poncy pouch for £16.99

i bought my Hoya polerisers from Dixons. They where selling them cheaper than anywhere else I could find other than ebay

SRB film is one of the cheapest places for all of your filter needs.

They have their own selection at very affordable prices.

Went the ebay route in the end. Nobody had a 77mm in stock, so if I had to wait for delivery anyway, I decided to pay £25 instead of £60.

Ok last question then. Who has been to Egypt? I imagine a flash will be useful when looking around the museums and inside of tombs?

If so, is the 420EX good enough or is the 550 or 580 worth the extra cash?

Thanks again,

Dave

The 420EX will undoubtedly be good enough. It all depends how much you anticipate using it - an old vintage flashgun with no auto, let alone TTL functions would do the job as long as you don't mind working out guide numbers and apertures/distances in your head. Much as I dislike using flash (on camera anyway) there's no denying that modern flashguns are electronic marvels that make the whole process much easier, particularly where you're using fill flash balanced with daylight.

Purely thinking in the long term of forward compatibility with future models etc. I'd tend to go for the latest flashgun - it may be dearer but you're only paying the difference remember, and you will be buying state of the art automation, convenience and compatibility with your camera. I'd be looking at the 580EX, but having been totally dependant on flash photography for most of my wedding work, I wouldn't begrudge a penny of it.

On the other hand if it's only very occasionally going to see an outing then it would probably be OTT so it's very much a personal choice.

I agree totally with everything that CT has written above however don't discount third party manufacturers products either. The Sigma EF500 DG SUPER is virtually identiacal to the Canon 580 specs wise but costs a fraction of the price. This may well be the best of both worlds if you are working on a budget.

Make sure you get the new model though as this has all the latest features and ETTL-II

I imagine it would not get out of my bag that often, but would be nice to have for the odd occasion. Have enough to think about with the camera settings at the moment :wink: so would prefer a flash that ignores me and just gets on with it!

I will check out the Sigma

Thanks

Back