What do you use your iPad for?

Name
Cally
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking about getting an iPad in future and just wondering what photographers use these for? I noticed my camera bag has an actual space for it so figured it was a common thing to have to perhaps have a slide show of photos to hand?

Wondering if you find them useful for other things and if they are worth it?

I would imagine though that iPads aren't known for the space they have so you would be limited to what you could store on it?

I'm just generally curious as to if they are really useful or more of an extra gadget

Last edited:
Slideshow of photos for clients
Animoto for clients
Remote shooting with my M3
Quick review/delete with my M3
Easy way For my brother to share images of my nephew with family (iCloud family sharing)

For me it has its uses. Don't get me wrong the majority of the time I use it for personal stuff but for photography there are definite uses.

I put photos on it to edit (i.e. choosing which photos are good rather than processing) and keep looking at them from time to time. Also it's useful for sequencing photos as you can move the photos around in an album.

All other uses are not photography related.

Only thing I use it for is to upload pictures from an SD card when I'm travelling, then share them online or back them up to cloud storage. I believe it has a stills camera but I've never had cause to use it.

Macbook pro for that. I tried this with ipad a couple times (I use CF cards btw) and everything was so poor I totally gave up. Tablet is a miserable thing except for checking mail, reading news on the web or showing some photos to clients. You could do all of that with MBP too.

My mk1 version now just sits there. iPhone 6 is quicker and less cumbersome. No need for upgrading, MBP does everything else.

iPad 2 user

- emergency use chord sheets for covers in the band I play in.
- musical notepad and occasional MIDI tone module for keyboard on stage when I'm not playing bass (GarageBand and Nanostudio)
- Two Dots on a big screen

Last edited:
Viewing Flickr, when I didn't have Lightroom I often used an app for basic editing. I also use it to show photos to friends and family. I don't use my laptop except for editing now as I use my iPad for everything.

Last edited:
Apart from mail surfing I use it for banking checking Skype reading the news paper and books. Tapatalk to read here. I wouldn't be without it

Thanks guys, I guess more of a handy gadget then a tool, I do want to get a mac book pro ~ my laptop is a nightmare I can use light room fine but as soon as I start doing to much with photoshop it freezes and in most cases just shuts PS off because it can't handle it, the thing with mac books is the screen sizes are tiny unless you spend a fortune, my current laptop is quite a big screen and I just think if I move to something smaller I'm going to hate it (or a lot smaller in mac books cases..)

Your answer then is 'spend a fortune'. I get away with a 15" most of the time but would be better outputting to a separate screen, which regardless of computer would cost a fortune anyway.

Oh and make sure you get a well specced machine to handle the processing, better than upgrading in twelve months.

I bought one to use with the Lightroom app, once I had it and realised how limited the app was I never used it.

So now I use it to watch dragonball z episodes and play hearthstone in bed.

Oh and share photos at photo club :D

An iPad is no replacement for a MacBook. I had a fiddle with Lightroom Mobile - but couldn't get on with it. The one fun application I use quite a lot is Snapseed. It's OK for editing web content and snaps but asides from that, it's limited. If publishing stuff on the web interests you, check out Adobe Slate. That and Snapseed make a killer combo.

As others have said... good for displaying photos, web, email, social media and goofing about with.

I had an Ipad but eventually got the hump with it.

It's far too restrictive and several apps I wanted were not available on the app store but were on the google play store.

I sold the Ipad and bought a better specification Galaxy Tab Pro for less money, stuck a 64Gb card in it and have never looked back.

I use for:
- client booking calendar (which in turn syncs to the cloud, my iphone and my wifes iphone)
- email
- sample pictures for clients
- sample slideshows for clients
- product brochures for clients
- spreadsheets for large jobs - e.g.school photography
- dropbox, can show samples of photography to clients and pull in scanned paperwork
- managing my social media pages
- testing my website design, seeing how others will view it on tablet

As a secondary feature they impress some clients when you produce them. e.g. if I produced a tesco hudl it doesnt have the same premium feel to it. (sad I know but its the truth)

Christ i sound like a total fanboy :nailbiting:

You can download Adobe tutorial App which I use on my IPAD as I am a beginner its great to to browse

Macbook pro for that. I tried this with ipad a couple times (I use CF cards btw) and everything was so poor I totally gave up. Tablet is a miserable thing except for checking mail, reading news on the web or showing some photos to clients. You could do all of that with MBP too.

I'm sure you could, except I don't have one and can't justify buying one for the purposes of photography alone. But I agree that it is a faff to do on an iPad, which is why I don't do it that often. More for convenience when I'm travelling, the rest of the time it's used for email and web browsing.

I use my iPad 4 all the time for viewing and posting on forums, playing games (Clash of Clans, Boom Beach....), surfing the web, editing the band website, emails, listening to music, watching TV programmes, using GarageBand for sketching out music ideas, reading user manuals, e-books and for showing some of my photos to others..

When combined with a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard, it becomes a handy tool for writing documents while travelling too.

As you've guessed I'm a bit of a fan.

Typing this post on one. Playing games and watching films whilst travelling is probably how I've spent the most hours using the device.

I have an iPad Air 2 64gb gsm which I have jailbroken :) , I would not be without mine, I use it it for work and access all my shared folders & Windons files and share them as and when needed to my engineers nationwide, I only really use my Zenbook for LR & PS, you just need to have the right apps & know how to drive them within your workflow ( how one app interacts with another to get what I need). Some days the battery just about lasts & that's 10 hrs where I have been using it for Work & home

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting an iPad in future and just wondering what photographers use these for? I noticed my camera bag has an actual space for it so figured it was a common thing to have to perhaps have a slide show of photos to hand?

Wondering if you find them useful for other things and if they are worth it?

I would imagine though that iPads aren't known for the space they have so you would be limited to what you could store on it?

I'm just generally curious as to if they are really useful or more of an extra gadget

It's just a tool, you can use it for whatever you would like to use it for, as long as it is capable of doing the job. If you want to view photos on an iPad, it can do that, and you can use the iPad for viewing photos, it can't make phone calls, do don't expect to try to make phone calls, however iPad can only be limited by the owner's creative thinking, so if the owner thought of other ways around, ie: using Skype, then iPad can do that.

You could use it for many things, and it not only depends on what apps there is, but also what can you do with the apps.

You could for example:

Listen to music, listen to radio (the Internet radio sort), you could watch movies, television shows, video recordings, use it as a calculator, converter, diary, financial records, notice board, timer, stopwatch, countdown timer, clock, alarm clock, view photos, read books, view PDF documents, do work processing, spreadsheet, database, checklist, journal, notebook, sketchbook, photo editing, mind-mapping, planning, planner, graphic design, dictation, recorder, dictionary, maps, compass, storage for photos, email, Internet,

Well I could go on and on and on suggesting what you can do with it, so really, just use it how you like to use it.

But a word of warning: If all you are thinking of using it is just to show your photos in a slideshow and that is all you want to do, it do not justify the costs, unless you use it far more than just one task.

PS: As a photographer, the iPad is not just only useful for viewing photos, but you could use diary/planners to plan photo-shoots, word processor, digital notebooks, voice recorders, etc., to make plans of your photo-shoots, maps and compass for seeking locations, iPad's own camera for a quick test photo to compare different viewing angles, even weather apps for outdoor photos. Word processors or digital notebooks or one of those journal apps for recording your day taking photos, everything in just one iPad in a camera bag. Rather than bringing paper maps, diary, notepads, bringing a real compass, pens, tape recorder, rather than checking the weather on television before going out to the on location photo shoot. I do miss using a Polaroid for quick test shoots, but then again, since they don't make the instant self-developing film, an iPad could be used to the same effect.

So many uses for an iPad, if you're thinking of buying one in future, that's up to you, it's just food for thoughts for you.

I have an ipad, used to use it for wireless image transfer so that the client could hold the ipad and approve shots as we went along, but it was so unreliable it was actually undermining my credibility...
Now I haven't even charged it up in about a month

I also think it's too big, you need an iPad mini

Back