What does it take?

I got rid of my last car for that exact reason. A money pit. I have a Canon repair centre about 10 mins away from me, I just hope that in the even that something did go wrong they could repair anything on one. At least with a car you can get it sorted.

The prices are very attractive for what looks like a stunning piece of glass from what I have seen so far.

I wouldn't touch a non-IS 300mm now. I've seen too many of them sitting around as doorstops.

I wouldn't touch a non-IS 300mm now. I've seen too many of them sitting around as doorstops.

3 togs from an agency I follow on Twitter have had their 300 non IS lenses pack in this year. That's why I was worried.

Loads of advice out there saying that if you are saving, save extra and get at least the IS mk1.

At the very least, learn the value of your work.

The value of that particular piece of work is £116. Because that's what he received.

You can complain all you like about WW's, corbis, Demotix et al but it will change nothing. The internet age has destroyed and continues to destroy many industries so you can do as you always do and sit around complaining or realise what's happening and do something about it.

Back to the original question.

You need to bodies and lenses.

You have a 5D3 and a 70-200. The cheapest way in kit wise would be one of the new 7DIIs and a 300/2.8 IS.

7D2 = £1599 and you can get it on 12 months interest free http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...atch=b&plid=&gclid=ci3cipac2micfqgcwwod-lkara

Then there is 300/2.8 IS for sale in the used forums for £2300

Editing software. I seem to remember Gary Coyle using Photoshop Elements - Gary can you caption in that? Cost £60. Alternatively Lightroom is £105 and I know Tobers does his captioning in that. I think you may need an add-on for that though.

Or use Elements for editing and Photomechanic (£100) for captioning.

4G dongle £60 (or £30 on FleaBay). £5/month for a data SIM.

Insurance £300/year.

Then you need wet weather covers for your gear - you can buy cheap ones.

I am assuming that you have a monopod, case for your gear, card reader and the other peripherals.

You should be able to get your own card - if I remember that you have the right number of paid for images. If not there will be smaller agencies that will take you on.

If there is coverage in League 1 and 2 in Scotland then after a while you could start there with the agencies. To start with I would shoot non-league to make sure that you get used to shooting editing and to check that your images are up to scratch.

Ah, fair one. I seem to remember you saying that you didn't caption for some reason! :)

Always Mark, well always when working and wiring, never used to caption my non sports stuff but i do that now i have ore time.

My advice would be to listen to those who currently cover pro sports as they know what they are talking about. Equipment would depend on your budget but would be wise to work to an upgrade plan. Buy second hand by all means but make sure it will have a resell value in the future for when you do upgrade. A Canon 300L 2.8 is always a good investment and even if upgrading to 400mm you may want to keep the 300. The sigma I found more of a stop gap for football ( some may argue not) as most pro's prefer a two camera setup.

Last edited:
Back