What ever happened to....

Ah, so you did ... ;).
The early 80s saw them selling many popular makes of cameras and lenses at competitive prices. I never managed to visit their shop but remember their adverts in various photography magazines.

I think mail order was a staple of their trade. But the warehouse / shop was near the East Lancs Road / M6 junction. Did I ever see the eponymous Eric Fishwick? Probably not - but wasn't there a son ....?

My first job out of college (tech, not uni!) was at KP Professional Sales, the wholesale arm of Campkins of Cambridge. Campkins had been going for almost 200 years, having started as chemists (chemists being where photographers bought everything to make emulsions and developing chemicals originally) They also supplied surgical appliances and in a town with a major university stethoscopes and everything else a junior doctor needed!
Digital did for the wholesale part of the business, we had one customer who used to buy 40-50 boxes of 5x4 Polaroid alone a week! Campkins had 6 shops in Cambridge, plus branches in Finchley Road and Bond Street in London, Lincoln, Peterborough, Newmarket and Dublin. Now it’s down to one shop opposite Kings College in Cambridge.

Back