What film camera to get for A2 Photography?

Name
Ollie
Edit My Images
Yes
So I managed to scrape through AS photography with my dad's ancient Miranda's (2 which broke), but it was a real disaster to be honest.
I ended up using the college's modern Nikon SLR's, but the trouble is you can only hire them out for a limited time. I believe the college also has flashes for film cameras, so I imagine they would be Nikon fit.

I'm very digitally focused unfortunately, and although I can't say I don't enjoy seeing the final results of my films when they're processed and printed, but it is so much hassle and the amount of time I have to spend in those bloody rooms gives me headaches:LOL:

So I guess what I'm looking for is a modern SLR, preferably Nikon, for under £100. A lens that would be good for portraits would also be great, as that's what my A2 photography will be based on.

these days you can get film kit for an absolute pittance on ebay, from entry level kit like the F55

here for £12.50 with a 70-200 zoom http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-F55...775882?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item3f0d57784a

through mid level like the f80 here bin for 65 quid http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-F80...129788?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item2566a8d1fc

through to higher end kit like the F4 - here for 155 BiN or starting price £110 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-F4-...509244?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item336af0f87c

I made an offer of a Ricoh KR10-M with a Sigma Mini Zoom 35-85mm to the Talk Photography convention but as no one has got back to me I will offer it to you instead. I realise it is not one of the latest spec but, a) its free and b) it will do what you want and c) it used standard AA batteries.

As its a PK mount lens I can include a Pentax M 50mm f2 as well. And for 'playing with' a Lenningrad 8 light meter.

If you would like to make use of these items, drop me a PM with your address and I'll bung them in the post to you.

You can then use your £100 to buy some film or other consumables.

Last edited:
Very generous offer Ed, it's stuff like this that makes me proud to be part of this place... (y)

Almost any SLR over the decades and a standard 50mm f/1.8 / f/2 prime will probably be more than adequate. Brands, models, you'll usually just get people's personal preferences, but the truth is Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta and countless more all made good glass and decent bodies at one point or another, and almost all the standard primes are bound to be very respectable performers.

You may want to look at an 85mm prime which may be a more comfortable length for portraits, but good 85mm glass might push your budget badly.

But there is an abundance of cheap Nikon late 80s and 1990s SLRs around - they made tons of them, and they are all rather plasticky and a bit throwaway really, to your advantage.

I thought the Pentax K1000 was the standard SLR for student phootgraphers, so perhaps Ed's Ricoh will be just the ticket. (Actually I like the basic Ricohs a lot more than the basic Pentaxes)

I made an offer of a Ricoh KR10-M with a Sigma Mini Zoom 35-85mm to the Talk Photography convention but as no one has got back to me I will offer it to you instead. I realise it is not one of the latest spec but, a) its free and b) it will do what you want and c) it used standard AA batteries.

As its a PK mount lens I can include a Pentax M 50mm f2 as well. And for 'playing with' a Lenningrad 8 light meter.

If you would like to make use of these items, drop me a PM with your address and I'll bung them in the post to you.

You can then use your £100 to buy some film or other consumables.
Wow, that's a generous offer that I don't think I can refuse! I ended up spending much of my EMA on photography equipment last year, and I'm getting £10 less this year.:thumbsdown: Thank you kind sir!:clap::) PM incoming...
Almost any SLR over the decades and a standard 50mm f/1.8 / f/2 prime will probably be more than adequate. Brands, models, you'll usually just get people's personal preferences, but the truth is Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta and countless more all made good glass and decent bodies at one point or another, and almost all the standard primes are bound to be very respectable performers.

You may want to look at an 85mm prime which may be a more comfortable length for portraits, but good 85mm glass might push your budget badly.

But there is an abundance of cheap Nikon late 80s and 1990s SLRs around - they made tons of them, and they are all rather plasticky and a bit throwaway really, to your advantage.
The thing is I think some people try to advertise them for as much as they can get kind of thing, and with my knowledge on them being next to nothing I really don't know what I'm looking for!
I thought the Pentax K1000 was the standard SLR for student phootgraphers, so perhaps Ed's Ricoh will be just the ticket. (Actually I like the basic Ricohs a lot more than the basic Pentaxes)
Yeh! The college also has them and I actually took my finals of a barn owl using a pentax K1000 (you jolted my memory, this was almost a year ago!). I'll have to get those negs scanned actually, as I was quite pleased with them.
these days you can get film kit for an absolute pittance on ebay, from entry level kit like the F55

here for £12.50 with a 70-200 zoom http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-F55...775882?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item3f0d57784a

through mid level like the f80 here bin for 65 quid http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-F80...129788?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item2566a8d1fc

through to higher end kit like the F4 - here for 155 BiN or starting price £110 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-F4-...509244?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item336af0f87c

Cheers for the links, the f80 looks rather tasty, although if I can hold on to my pennies I will gladly accept the free gear being offered!

Last edited:
Top stuff, Ed. Really glad to see this.

Yeah, it's only watching the market do you know this sort of stuff, but you do pick it up after a bit. The K1000 is the legendary student camera, and whilst I'm completely going along with what I wrote about people just posting their personal preferences, the K1000 is absolutely fantastic. No nonsense, simple needle meter, built like an absolute tank, simple batteries (no tricky mercury odd voltages to deal with), massive viewfinder, fantastic Pentax lenses, extremely reliable... I could go on, but the fact that they didn't stop making the things for decades speaks more.

and added bonus there are loads of pentax lenses arround cheap - your 100 could probably get you at least two.

I don't use film for personal use you see though, so I'm sure the Ricoh would be adequate for portraits...Especially with the 50mm f/2 lens!
Saving for flashes, gels, filters, lenses and what not to add to my Sony digital attire though.:)
I'll keep an eye out for other pentax lenses if I feel I need them though!
I suppose the advantage of film is that you can get top quality photos from a £5 body and decent lens.:cool:

That Pentax-M 50mm f/2 will be an absolute gem - I have the 55mm f/2, and they are extremely well built, sharp and enjoyable lenses to use. I continue to maintain that Pentax equipment from that era was absolutely fantastic, and I know I have many like-minded people on F&C who agree.

How about a minolta dynax 7 or 9 instead? You should be able to use any sony AF lens that isn't for crop sensors with it. And any glass you get for the minolta should work ok on the sony (except sigmas as they're a bit funny with SLTs)

For budget options there are things like the minolta 404si and other similar models. Usually get those for pennies as no-one wants them! I've got a 404si looking for a home. Would send it for postage as it's gathering dust at the moment. Doesn't take standard AAs though. Takes CR2s.

Last edited:
That Pentax-M 50mm f/2 will be an absolute gem - I have the 55mm f/2, and they are extremely well built, sharp and enjoyable lenses to use. I continue to maintain that Pentax equipment from that era was absolutely fantastic, and I know I have many like-minded people on F&C who agree.
:cool:
How about a minolta dynax 7 or 9 instead? You should be able to use any sony AF lens that isn't for crop sensors with it. And any glass you get for the minolta should work ok on the sony (except sigmas as they're a bit funny with SLTs)

For budget options there are things like the minolta 404si and other similar models. Usually get those for pennies as no-one wants them! I've got a 404si looking for a home. Would send it for postage as it's gathering dust at the moment. Doesn't take standard AAs though. Takes CR2s.

Received today from Edd, thank you so much! Great condition and looks like it will do the job fine(y)
Srichards, thanks, I'll look into them further if I feel I need to. :)

For pentax specific kit in the UK, the uk pentax user forum also has a good classified section. Like here, it's also a good community though, so please contribute there too and not just do the "turning up for the sales" thing :) We do want to see some pics here please too!

For pentax specific kit in the UK, the uk pentax user forum also has a good classified section. Like here, it's also a good community though, so please contribute there too and not just do the "turning up for the sales" thing :) We do want to see some pics here please too!

Will do! College doesn't have any neg scanners though.:puke:

Go through your local ads and eBay local pick up - the Epson 4180, 4490, 4990 which are all preceding models to the current V500/600/700/750 range can often be picked up for cheap - and these will scan both 35mm and medium format. If you want a 35mm scanner only, these are often even easier to find.

I've got a nice Epson 3170 doing nothing at the moment, if I can find all the holders and a big enough box I'll send that up to if you like?

Go Ed! What a legend!
Indeed!
Go through your local ads and eBay local pick up - the Epson 4180, 4490, 4990 which are all preceding models to the current V500/600/700/750 range can often be picked up for cheap - and these will scan both 35mm and medium format. If you want a 35mm scanner only, these are often even easier to find.

There are quite a few flatbed scanners with neg holders. Epson do some. I've got an old epson 3490 and it is fairly reasonable. Was just over £100 I think when I got it a few years ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1JVM4CXKX1ZXHV0C6DRP

The above one does up to medium format. £140 quid but I'd say well worth it as it gives you lots of options.
I really haven't got any money to spare, but thanks for the suggestions guys, may come in handy in the future :)
I've got a nice Epson 3170 doing nothing at the moment, if I can find all the holders and a big enough box I'll send that up to if you like?
Wow, you're one generous guy, that would be fantastic...My dad has ancient negs that I could get done too!

In return you should have a link in your sig to Ed's Hasselblad sale thread, help him to recover the damage to his wallet :LOL:

In return you should have a link in your sig to Ed's Hasselblad sale thread, help him to recover the damage to his wallet :LOL:

No need for that, my wife will be chuffed with my getting rid of clutter. :LOL:

I mean, how many scanners can you have sat in boxes. I also have a Microtek i900 sat in another, but I just love my V750. I'm halfway through my first roll of 35mm film for about 15 years or more.

No need for that, my wife will be chuffed with my getting rid of clutter. :LOL:

I mean, how many scanners can you have sat in boxes. I also have a Microtek i900 sat in another, but I just love my V750. I'm halfway through my first roll of 35mm film for about 15 years or more.

Well I think it's safe to say I owe you one!(y)

Back