What films for holidays

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
So it's coming. Sunshine, blue sea, white sand, shady alleys, sand castles, colourful dishes, refreshing cocktails. What films are the best to capture all this?

I am definitelly taking my Rolleiflex T.
As for 35mm, not sured yet - probably XA or XA2 for their compactness. May be even both, so I can give the XA2 to my son to point and shoot

120 films - for sure velvia, ektar and acros.
35mm - colorplus 200, gold 200. Also ordered Cinestill x-pro 50 and BWxx 200 - never tried these, so just an experiment.

What are your favourite family holiday films?

Last edited:
Provia 100F, Portra 160, PanF+ and Tri-X are always in my bag for holidays, covers just about any and every eventuality!

5x4 - FP4+
120 - PanF+ FP4+ Fuji NPS160

35mm Kodachrome was my favourite...:(

I took Portra 160 and 400 and some Ektar on our recent trip to the Alps. I kept meaning to load the Ektar but the Portra went in every time, mostly 160 but 400 on the duller days. Slide film needs a bit more time to think about and set up than I have when on holiday with others. Just reviewing the pics and it appears I took the same scene about 15 times!!! :(

Velvia/Provia slide in 120 and 35mm with Ektar and Reala in 35mm.

Always save my Portra 160VC for special occasions.

Last edited:
How could I have forgotten Reala??? However, since it needs to be rated well below EI 100, it does tend to need a bit of support unless there's really excellent light, so maybe not the best choice for holidays?

For general holiday scenes (not people photos as it doesn't render skin tones very well) I'd use Ektar 100 due to the saturated colours that provide a bit of 'pop'. I'd also take some Kodak Gold 200 for people scenes and in case the weather turned a bit dull. I'd take a roll of slide film too (Velvia or Provia) for landscape/scenery shots. The next challenge is to plan which roll to have in the camera, where and when! :whistle:

Well for sunny Ibiza I use old stock Reala or superia 200.....IMO Fuji superia 200 is a VG general purpose film, although some say Superia 400 is better (but I haven't tried it to compare). But after getting thru' 100 rolls of Superia 200 in 5 years I'm left (for 35mm) with Gold 100 and 200 and Vista and colorplus...I can't make my mind up with the results from Gold 100 h'mm maybe a dodgy supply of bulk rolls on the bay. :eek:

How could I have forgotten Reala??? However, since it needs to be rated well below EI 100, it does tend to need a bit of support unless there's really excellent light, so maybe not the best choice for holidays?

Hi Chris, What is EI 100 and why is that related to Reala?

EI is when you want to use the film at a different speed to its ISO speed. For example, when I use Fomapan 200, I set the light meter at ASA 160 to give me a bit denser negative. EI stands for Exposure Index.

It is not particularly related to Reala.

Edit: I used ASA instead of ISO above because my light meter is very old and, come to that, I am very old as well.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks John.

John's answer was as I understood it re EI in general. My Reala 100 (a clue!) expired 2007 so in theory should be exposed one stop less, ie at EI 50, though I would generally shoot at 64 or 80. The trouble is that gives quite slow shutter speeds unless the light is very good, so needs a monopod or tripod; I find the latter generally incompatible with holiday conditions (ie presence of OH), and the monopod needs to be used with discretion or I get into terrible trouble!

John's answer was as I understood it re EI in general. My Reala 100 (a clue!) expired 2007 so in theory should be exposed one stop less, ie at EI 50, though I would generally shoot at 64 or 80. The trouble is that gives quite slow shutter speeds unless the light is very good, so needs a monopod or tripod; I find the latter generally incompatible with holiday conditions (ie presence of OH), and the monopod needs to be used with discretion or I get into terrible trouble!

I see, your post gave the impression that is was a characteristic of the film,not just your stock. There was no clue in your post.

I see, your post gave the impression that is was a characteristic of the film,not just your stock. There was no clue in your post.

Sorry Richard; my stock is the latest date of Reala 100 ever (Fuji's film cancellations have been going on a long time), but it was lazy of me to assume that everyone would know that! :oops: :$

Hi Chris,

What do you mean when you say that your stock dated 2007 is the latest date ever, I have stock later than that as Reala was discontinued with the last batches dated 2012. I think i have about ten rolls of 36 ex left thank goodness.:)

Hi Chris,

What do you mean when you say that your stock dated 2007 is the latest date ever, I have stock later than that as Reala was discontinued with the last batches dated 2012. I think i have about ten rolls of 36 ex left thank goodness.:)

Well, I didn't know that! I did know there was some later 120 stuff, but I was convinced 2007 was the last 135 Reala 100. Live and learn, thanks Richard!

Back