What gallery software do you recommend (wordpress or other)

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to create a website and wondering if people have any gallery software they recommend.

I can build the site using Wordpress, Joomla or other software.

I'm after something stylish with a film strip appearance, small thumbnails along one edge and a large image in the middle.

Thanks in advance :)

The Nextgen plugin will do close to what you need.
http://nextgen-gallery.com/templates/carousel/

Yeah im currently using nextgen for a gallery. I want to know how to use the image to link to another page though rather than click on image and it shows an enlarged version. Main reason is for a "Gallery" page which then links to the different subjects I photograph. I need something to lay the pictures out in a organised way.

I'm after something more like Impact, rather than next-gen

Yeah im currently using nextgen for a gallery. I want to know how to use the image to link to another page though rather than click on image and it shows an enlarged version. Main reason is for a "Gallery" page which then links to the different subjects I photograph. I need something to lay the pictures out in a organised way.

If you set your images up in Galleries, then combine these into Albums then you get the effect I think you're after. To do it I make sure
  • that the galleries are all sub pages of your album page (allows breadcrumbs to work sensibly),
  • the "Deactivate gallery page link" in Gallery -> Settings -> Gallery has no tick (allows you clicking on a thumbnail in album view to take you to a new page), and
  • each Gallery has a "Page Link To" set (sets the page you go to when you click the thumbnail in the album view).

The preview image you set for each Gallery is the one that shows when you display an album containing that gallery. You can also nest albums within albums if you need to.

The effect of this is that you have a page that will show the album, this will display as a set of thumbnails and titles representing each gallery within the album. If you click on one of the tumbnails it will take you to a page for that gallery where all your photos will display. At that point if you click on a thumbnail you'll get a lightbox view of the photo.

I use this approach on my websites and it suits my purposes well. Hope that helps.

Back