What have you guys done with your Digital equipment?

Fraser Euan White

Suspended / Banned
Name
Fraser White
Edit My Images
Yes
Since purchasing a film camera just before Christmas I haven't used my digital camera and was thinking about selling it. Digital does have advantages over film in certain circumstances but I am really enjoying the film photography.

Acutely aware that all digital bodies depreciate I was wondering what everyone else who shoots film has done with their digital equipment (If they have any at all?)

Thanks

Fraser

My old dSLR has gone on long term loan to one of my best mates. I've barely used it so when he showed an interest in photography I gave it to him and gained a partner for photo walks.

I shoot a mix of film and digital.

I like digital for long lens stuff. Love mechanical film cameras.
Sometimes it helps to slooow down.

Sold the lot and never been happier. I have no interest or desire to shoot digital again in the foreseeable future. One of the best things I did for my photography was start shooting film.

Well I've gone the other way in that I have decided to use my Nex 3 for low light shots in place like a restaurant, pub etc instead of my film slr and flashgun....I don't like film compacts and consider them pointless compared to digi compacts, also there is a massive difference in size comparing a Nex3 with film slr with flashgun :eek: so when comparing digi to film IMO it's about enjoying both and horses for courses at times.

I only ever had one digital camera, a 4.9mp Leica Digilux 2. Nowadays it's not working brilliantly as the menu buttons aren't very responsive and the battery gives about 20 shots before dying. I only use it for occasional family snaps; but it's not worth selling so it's still got a place in the home.

I still have my D200, I use the lenses on my Nikon F100
I still use the D200 for Ebay pictures and I'm considering dumping my scanner and using it for recording my negs.
Other than that, with the grip on it, its a bonza doorstop...:)

I still use both, but it's tending towards a split of digital for colour and film for b&w. I'm on a mission to use up the large quantity of ood film I've acquired over the years, but home processing is pretty much essential to keep the costs down.

I have shot film alongside digital for the last 10 years. The dslr has been upgraded a few times and my film camera collection has grown steadily.
I still like the convenience of digital, like excalibur2 says it’s perfect for low light conditions and days when the machine gun approach is called for.

Like the op says dslrs do depreciate so I’ve taken to upgrading by buying secondhand.

But if you’re not going to use it then get rid of it now and buy a Chroma, you know it makes sense :D https://www.kickstarter.com/project...x5-technical-camera?ref=discovery&term=Chroma

I haven't really used my Leica M9 since getting an M6 a few years ago. I suppose I see it as a back up camera.

I use my d3100 with the 35mm prime for holidays and family stuff, it's pretty small and has good enough low light capabilities never use it for "work".

I have a Fuji X10 compact that is surprisingly capable, that I use for family shots, fleabay etc. Otherwise it's all film. I keep wondering about a Fuji XT-1, but always decide I'd rather spend money on film and processing plus the odd new lens... Never owned a DSLR.

i must admit ive been half thinking about ether getting rid of my digital kit or "down pricing" as when i think what camera to take out with me its the film kit that makes me smile. but without a doubt dig kit has advantages and incredible results are possible from it. i just enjoy film more

h'mm I suppose on the other side it's "what have you guys done with your film equipment" :D

I have a fuji xt1and the fuji 100-400mm lens which I only use for wildlife....

Ok, time for another Snap confession. Last month we went Leighton Moss to do a bit of bird watching, hopefully also to see a murmuration of starlings. I packed my bag with the fuji and its lens and also, just for fun, a Nikon f80 and Sigma 28-200mm.

We popped up to the cafe for a warm drink and a teacake and I opened up the case to put the lens on the camera.....:banghead: I've only gone and picked up my Voigtlander R4a instead..... they were both in a metal case and i could only see the top plate and they do look similar. :thinking:

I use a digital compact for pictures of stuff that's to be shared online (mostly the various things I'm into making in my workshop). The DSLR kit is languishing in a box - I got it a few years ago when I decided to get back into photography, but I couldn't get along with it (weird controls, sensor dust, 100% battery dependence). I lasted a few months, and was back to film.

I got an iPhone X recently, that's my only digital kit. I occasionally think about picking up a Pentax SLR to do night/long exposure stuff with, but the feeling soon passes!

Sold two bodies + a lens and put the money towards my film gear and darkroom equipment. My other two digitals (a Nikon D70 and some sort of Panasonic point 'n' shoot) died and went in the bin.

I have a phone that I use for eBay photos etc.

I have kept my D700 and 24-70 for sentimental reasons (and also because it pains me to see what the value of them is, despite the fact that the D700 has held it's value incredibly well) and sold everything else. At one point I had a 14-24mm, 70-200 VRII and an 85mm 1.4G. I now never use digital, and even if I wanted to use modern lenses, I'd get an F5 or F6.

I use it...

i must admit ive been half thinking about ether getting rid of my digital kit or "down pricing" as when i think what camera to take out with me its the film kit that makes me smile. but without a doubt dig kit has advantages and incredible results are possible from it. i just enjoy film more
well ive done it for now only film cameras left, apart from my mobile.

well ive done it for now only film cameras left, apart from my mobile.

It looks like 50 to100 mp digi cameras are coming out, and will give large format competition for resolution...doesn't worry me though as :film:

I lent/gave my Nikon to a friend some time back, but my main digital camera (X-T2) is used to record videos for my YouTube mostly, and my GRII is a walk around.

I shoot film way more often than I shoot digital, and I love doing so. It just so happens that having a site and YouTube means I can do it as often as I like, without the digital stuff feeling neglected.

It looks like 50 to100 mp digi cameras are coming out, and will give large format competition for resolution...doesn't worry me though as :film:
really, wow i could crop away to find a good pic in that lot:D

I wasn't intending to bite, but perhaps I will. A sensor capable of infinite resolution will still struggle to resolve detail if the lens doesn't provide it in the first place. A perfect lens can only resolve a finite amount of detail due to the nature of light. The more you enlarge, the more the available detail is spread out over a larger area - the lines per millimeter get less and less as the enlargement gets more and more.

A sheet of 10x8 film has an image size of almost 10" by 8", or putting it another way, about A4. An A2 print requires a 4 times enlargement. If we're assuming that these high resolution sensors are going to be full frame, they require about 8 times enlargement to get to A4. If they're the so called medium format sensor size (which is about the size of the smallest roll film format) the factor isn't much better.

To make the best use of these amazing sensors will require amazingly good and expensive lenses, carefully used on a tripod. To achive the same with LF film, a plastic lens as in a box camera hand held is probably all you need.

All this ignores all the other properties that go to make up an image - even the simple technical ones like depth of field...

I use a mix of digital and film, off to the Lakes with X-Pan and a mirrorless camera :D

I've just spent the day at Ham Wall nature reserve with a Fuji XT 1 and the 100-400mm lens but tomorrow......Wells Cathedral and a Wista :)

Back