What HDR *should* look like

Until reading the feedback I'd never realised flikr was somewhere to go and get your arse kissed so much.

i did, thats why i steer clear of it, unlike here when you post an image you'll get feedback both positive and negative and almost always constructive, whereas on flickr you'll just get "OMG LOLZ HAHA I WANA HAV URE BABIES KIS KISS KISS KISS" which isnt feedback, its as you say arse kissing

dynamic range on a single chip capture I don't think is enough. the detail though could be explained by medium format...

It's also perfectly possible that she could be taking multiple medium format images and combining them digitally.

Medium_813200671711PM_Bronco2.jpg

i get the impression that there are 3 distinct tidlines on that image, dunno, they could be the shadows of the peir but arnt in keeping with the shadows unde the jeep. plus the ghost surfers. tbh i looked at alot of the images of classic cars and its as if the car has been 'shopped in after (although then you look at the shadow detail on the car body and that sort of stuff cant be shopped as its perfect, something isnt right. awesome images but they dont work for me

Those tyres look pretty clean too, and where's the tyre tracks where it was driven up? Could be the angle but it does look pretty suspect.

I only mentioned HDR because for me Lonna's images are exactly what a high dynamic range photograph should be. Forget the cliched "HDR" phrase and take it right back to the raw concept (trying to capture a massive range of lighting in a photograph) and her shots have that perfected, in my view.

I agree. Well done HDR images are a definite window onto future sensors imho. When you're out and you look at a sunset you don't see it as your camera does. Sure it produces a nice photo but its not a realistic picture, strictly speaking. You don't see silhouettes like your camera does due to its limited dynamic range. The question is whether camera manufacturers are going to go down this route because I'm sure a lot of people will be annoyed that they can't do nice silhouette photos.

Now, lets throw some other photographers into mix.

Image-177-1112-prison_break2_l.jpg

Jeremy Cowart. I really suggest you view the larger version.

Then there's Dave Hill. These images also looked HDR / tone mapped.

Looked at Dave Hill's stuff before and liked it.

Do you have any info on his technique? Again, the results look better than anything I've ever seen from Photomatix so I guess he must be doing a lot of layer tweaking.

I have never seen any HDR's anywhere near as good as this.

Infact, I've never seen any good HDR's apart from these and Mohains.. They're amazing.

Not a clue but from the videos it looks like he's using a Canon DSLR and I've heard its a 5D!

Thats how I like HDR. I want to say Pete has his own style but 100s will be doing it. However It was Pete I first saw to try HDR so as far as I am concerned, Its his style to me.
Although I am fed up with alot of HDR pictures been posted as they are far too heavily envoled and create halos around subjects etc etc.

The thread starters research is just how I like HDR (not noticeable)

cept Petes... lol

lol I think you have just broken Pete's heart :p

I do like most of the stuff Pete posts - I just don't like it when HDR's come out looking like a computer generated image and everyone is amazed by them..

Isn't this a bit like arguing against surrealist paintings as they aren't 'real' enough?

It's ART, that's all, & photography is art whether your aim is to capture a scene as close as possible to how it looked at the time, or stretch it a bit - or a lot - with PP techniques

Each to their own for me - oh, and I like lots of 'bad' HDR too providing the image is 'good'

Cheers

I really like the HDR effect and I am playing around with photomatrix and using Petes tutorial, which is great btw. The thing about selling photographs is that only a few sell the stuff they want to take. The rest of us sell stuff that other people want us to take, most of which has hardly any artistic content and is just a record of the event....Ian

HDR is a bug bear of mine. Most folks online seem to think its a process for creating special effects as apposed to accurately creating a correctly exposed scene that contains more light variations than the camera can handle. They will all be very shocked when HDR monitors become the norm and all their HDR shots suddenly look realistic and not filtered lol

These are better than a lot that I have seen though.

...Still think there are people on here capable of capturing equally good shots, just havent got such excellent locations.
I'd agree with that for the most part. Whilst I think some of the images in question are stunning I do think there are many many people that could do professional work given the same opportunities.

I went to a wildlife & nature photography forum meet once which had a few pro's and semi-pro's doing talks. I couldn't believe how much some of them 'cheated' to get the shots they were showing, cropping here and there (by up to %60 of the frame!!), removing things in photoshop, adding little things in photoshop. I came away with far less admiration for them then when I went in. Sorry I digress... :geek:

Back