What is it called and where do I get one?

Name
Nicola
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a vague title I know but hopefully curiosity will kick in and people will look :LOL:

I am looking for a square box thing which lights up. The box itself should be a light so that you can place things on top and it illuminates them. I am sure I saw one on here somewhere and I cannot for the life of me remember what they are called and obviously as you can gather I cannot explain it very well either :shake:

Any ideas?

The box with the light - it's called a light box. Don't know where you get them though - they used to be used for viewing slides.

Jessops used to sell them or many of the craft shops sell them it al depends on the size you want, some of the larger ones are daylight calibrated and have an hur counter on them for the lamps.

You might be looking at a Light Table rather than a light box

Light boxes as previously stated were primarily designed for viewing slides and were illuminated buy fluorescent tubes.

Light tables, are designed for photographing objects rather than viewing. Normally supplied without light source as it's normaly expected that the photographer will have this anyway

Several makes on the market, including Lastolite.

Or a Porta Studio type thingy..?

porta_studio.jpg

When I read the original post, the first thing I thought of was a light-cube:

80cm_light_tent_setup.jpg

Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks, I think it is a lightbox that I am after. I did think it was called a softbox but when I googled it it wasn't that.

Built 3 or 4 of them, but not happy with the quality.

Bought mine from Argos - 2 sizes available.

The ones on eBay look better, but cost about £15 more depnding on the size.

Dal

It's ok, I just discovered my dad has one hidden in his darkroom.

Back