What is it with...

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
some people's sense of entitlement.

Have just read two threads, chosen at random, and in both of them, the OP is complaining about having a certain number of views, but no comments.

So some people look at your photos and don't comment so you don't feel all warm and fuzzy.
What's the big deal?

Maybe your pics weren't that great and those looking didn't have the heart to tell you what they really thought because you'd cry.
Maybe they just didn't like them...
Maybe lots of other reasons.

Just build a bridge - get over it.

Don't let it worry you.

I have posted a couple of threads asking for critique and have received very little feedback, something i have asked for, because i want to learn.
Yet the threads from the professional photographers get 40+ replies, mostly saying nice photos, granted they are nice photos, but..

There does occasionally seem to be an imbalance of replies to some of the threads in here.

I haven't posted any pics here for a while...another story...But I remember the first time I did, and was a bit scary tbh. Whilst i will comment on the odd pic now and then I do feel those who do post a pic do so to get feedback and if they have none after a lot of views, you can't blame them for asking why.

Were they marked for Critique? If not, I'd avoid those threads simply because they haven't asked for it. If I crit anything I stick to "Critique" marked posts.

I have posted a couple of threads asking for critique and have received very little feedback, something i have asked for, because i want to learn.
Yet the threads from the professional photographers get 40+ replies, mostly saying nice photos, granted they are nice photos, but..

There does occasionally seem to be an imbalance of replies to some of the threads in here.

Maybe that tells you that an awful lot of people don't critique because they don't know how. It's much easier to say "yeah that's a great image" when you see one that can't possibly be anything else, and often some people will wait for one or two promiment people to comment first before they risk it.

I don't usually comment unless there's something constructive I can add.

Last edited:
I try to give constructive criticism, but sadly you're onto a loser - I was a touch brusque about some nice pics that had been over pp'd last week and got it in the ear for being brutally frank.... To be honest, there are some pics that come up for criticism that are just better walked away from.....:D (Just so bad that the taker should perhaps "not give up the day job", sometimes of subjects that are to be frank, not at all photogenic....)
So it's a "you can't win" thing, only the very brave dare be any less than fawning in their praise....... There is also the problem of the fact this is a forum - people can't see the twinkle in your eye that should go with your words.....(smileys help a little but aren't a complete answer)

There is a considerable difference between constructive and rude. Describing photos as 'ghastly' can only be seen as rude.

The "effects" were indeed utterly ghastly, the photos were actually pretty good as I'd somewhat brusquely commented (as the OP proved by reposting them without the jaundiced colour cast!)

The "effects" were indeed utterly ghastly, the photos were actually pretty good as I'd somewhat brusquely commented (as the OP proved by reposting them without the jaundiced colour cast!)

whatever you, or I may think about the effects applied to that photo, your 'critique' was rude.

Posted a photo yet? you have lots of very strong opinions, which is great, but it would be lovely to see some of your work. :).

I was rude (rightly) about the awful "effect", not about the photos themselves (which as I said, were pretty good) - it was a case of "why have you attempted to gild the lily?" and meant as a cry of pain about someone ruining perfectly good shots with too much bally PP (as many do).....

Maybe that tells you that an awful lot of people don't critique because they don't know how. It's much easier to say "yeah that's a great image" when you see one that can't possibly be anything else, and often some people will wait for one or two promiment people to comment first before they risk it.

I don't usually comment unless there's something constructive I can add.

I do get what you are saying and agree, to an extent, but in the section i am talking about it seems that the professional photographers will only critique each others work, and there are a fair few of them.

Having said this the small amount of critique i have received has been good advice and has helped a lot and has led to me getting better photographs. (y)

EDIT: The thread that started this thread mentions how many people have looked at the thread and no one has replied, how do you know how many people has viewed your thread on this site? i don't see any "views" stats on any of my threads.

Last edited:
I do get what you are saying and agree, to an extent, but in the section i am talking about it seems that the professional photographers will only critique each others work, and there are a fair few of them.

Having said this the small amount of critique i have received has been good advice and has helped a lot and has led to me getting better photographs. (y)

EDIT: The thread that started this thread mentions how many people have looked at the thread and no one has replied, how do you know how many people has viewed your thread on this site? i don't see any "views" stats on any of my threads.

There is a views stat. Its hidden because of this sort of thread, and everytime a search engine (for example) crawls a thread it increases so its not that accurate.

I can only answer you comment about critique for me, I don't anymore because of the number of times long thought about C & C has been ignored or caused a fight

At the risk of causing more drama, I'm probably a 'pro' who mostly critiques other pro's work, but like many of the replies above, detailed critique is often ignored, and it's more likely to be argued with than taken well.
I generally comment when requested directly or when I see something I really like, or when people have asked for technical help illustrated with pictures.

TBF if something is bad it's bad there is no way of getting round it.

The image speaks for itself but that doesn't mean people have to be rude.

'The processing is ghastly'.

'It isn't to my tastes personally and looks somewhat overcooked to my eyes, perhaps going a little easier on the processing may work better?'

Two sentences with essentially the same meaning but one comes across as offensive and offhand while the other seems friendly and helpful. Being nice about things isn't rocket science, it just takes a little consideration before hitting 'submit reply'.

Nothing irks me more than inane comments such as "love the colours" "beautiful capture", then when someone comes along and says, "I think you've gone a bit overboard with the clarity slider there, you seem to have set it to +100" they get all butt-flustered and either delete the comment or shout a torrent of abuse.

If I've done something bad, I want to be told I'm bad and how to improve it rather than kidding myself. I don't care how rude anyone is, as I am not a delicate little flower.

I don't think it's a case of not being a "delicate little flower", I just don't see the need to be rude. I also want people to be honest but I want them to do it in a decently just as I'd want to be spoken to decently in person.

I guess if your a pro and your work is selling well,and your customer are happy, it matter little what other say.

As those most pro i think do like there work to be respected by other pro.

As for amateur stuff a lot of it is not my cup of tea,so don't like to critique something just because it doesn't appeal to me.

:)

All you need to do is ensure the criticism is constructive. Saying it is "rubbish" is no more helpful than just saying it is "good" as that may just depend on what you personally like which is irrelevant. If you can't add constructive comments then no point saying anything.

So some people look at your photos and don't comment so you don't feel all warm and fuzzy.
What's the big deal?

Just build a bridge - get over it.

Patronizing and condescending.... This forum helps us with little knowledge, as someone fairly new to photography peoples comments aid in both my goal to get better and shows if I have improved.

Why moan!... Can't see any locks on the door.

IRONY
A thread started in order to moan about people complaining....

I personally post picture on here to get criticism. As nice as it is to hear "great shot" etc (not that I've heard that yet ;-) ), I'd rather hear from other members on how they think I could improve the picture or the processing, pointing out what I've done wrong and of course being told what I've done right (if anything).
It's always nice to see the pros shots on here, gives you something to work towards but they are not the ones that need to comments, its the amateurs that are trying to improve that need the comments.

I'd rather be told the processing is ghastly

The image speaks for itself but that doesn't mean people have to be rude.

'The processing is ghastly'.

'It isn't to my tastes personally and looks somewhat overcooked to my eyes, perhaps going a little easier on the processing may work better?'

Two sentences with essentially the same meaning but one comes across as offensive and offhand while the other seems friendly and helpful. Being nice about things isn't rocket science, it just takes a little consideration before hitting 'submit reply'.

I'd rather be told the processing is ghastly

Good for you, but I think it's fair to say most people would appreciate at least a degree of pleasantness.

Are you now complaining about others complaining about other people complaining?

Naaaah, I never complain. Well, not usually. Maybe sometimes. I should complain about needing to complain more... :LOL:

Naaaah, I never complain. Well, not usually. Maybe sometimes. I should complain about needing to complain more... :LOL:

Don't you bloody start :D

I personally post picture on here to get criticism. As nice as it is to hear "great shot" etc (not that I've heard that yet ;-) ), I'd rather hear from other members

I will try and keep that in mind

I do a lot of crit.. sometimes I see a picture I really like,.,. i cant think of any way to improve it.. its just a great picture

according to a lot of folk I should ignore that fact..

However I post that its a great picture.. maybe just a one liner.. you know.. they really annoying compliment type thing...

I dont like to see a great picture ignored so i say its great... :)

I do my fair share of critique as well on other pics..

the problem is not with the words its the lack of emotion when its written on the internet.

Good for you, but I think it's fair to say most people would appreciate at least a degree of pleasantness.

the problem is not with the words its the lack of emotion when its written on the internet.

I disagree, there are certain words I don't think can ever be used in a polite context on the Internet and "ghastly" is very definitely one of them. Again this isn't rocket science, it just takes a little thought.

I disagree, there are certain words I don't think can ever be used in a polite context on the Internet and "ghastly" is very definitely one of them. Again this isn't rocket science, it just takes a little thought.

so you disagree with me and then point out exactly what I ment :LOL:

I'd write something but the internet is not forgiving to sarcasm

so you disagree with me and then point out exactly what I ment :LOL:

You're going to have to explain this because it's making no sense to me whatsoever. You said it's not the words but the lack of emotion which I disagree with and I then gave an example of why I disagree, in what way have I contradicted myself? :shrug:

You're going to have to explain this because it's making no sense to me whatsoever. You said it's not the words but the lack of emotion which I disagree with and I then gave an example of why I disagree, in what way have I contradicted myself? :shrug:

This is what I took from it.......ghastly can be used in a face to face / on the phone / some other social basis where emotion can be conveyed and it'll be clear for all involved that it's not being used in a rude / impolite context. It's a joke or gentle put down, no one takes it seriously and it's because of the emotion in the way the person puts it across.

It isn't the words (all the time) but the lack of emotion that's the issue.

Back to the OP's point re: self entitlement. So people querying why their threads are getting ignored is a bad thing and just due to them feeling overly entitled ? Maybe they see posts by 'longer term' members getting umpteen responses while no one bothers with theirs. There can be a bit of a clique mentality here as well as everywhere else and I feel that at least on some occassions people may well have a point.

If 'names' are being thrown about then I'd also say that starting a thread to moan about how self entitled people are could in itself be conceived as being self important. Particularly by calling it what is it with... which construes the impression that someone in some position of self appointed authority has had enough of something the little people are doing.

stu.artd said:
This is what I took from it.......ghastly can be used in a face to face / on the phone / some other social basis where emotion can be conveyed and it'll be clear for all involved that it's not being used in a rude / impolite context. It's a joke or gentle put down, no one takes it seriously and it's because of the emotion in the way the person puts it across.

Exactly, with that particular word (and I'm sure others) there's no real way of knowing how it was intended so it probably shouldn't be used. Perhaps myself and POAH are actually saying the similar things but just from opposite perspectives!

Back