What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing

Black and White, they are hardly ever black and white just lots of shades of grey!:mad:

If anyone didn't think this thread was less than serious I reckon they must be bored with life.
Makes about as much sense as the original comment with that phrase.

Tried to be magnanimous with my responses, but my god there are some humourless people on here.
Honest answer is I couldn't care less, but thanks to those who responded in the way it was intended.

Think mine would be that bloody Puffin with a gob full of Sandeels.
Is it the same one or maybe a model nailed to the cliff top

Can think of a few other candidates, but what is your least favourite?

There's no hint anywhere in your opening post that this was intended to be light-hearted, funny or generally less than serious. Sorry that we all failed to interpret your post as it was apparently intended - maybe give us a few clues next time?

There's no hint anywhere in your opening post that this was intended to be light-hearted, funny or generally less than serious. Sorry that we all failed to interpret your post as it was apparently intended - maybe give us a few clues next time?

Maybe you just don't do subtle, others seem to have got it ok early on.
Didn't you wonder when I mentioned "model nailed to the cliff top"

Last edited:

I didn't understand why the model was nailed to the clifftop, unless it was really windy and she'd get blown off.

For landscapes, the challenge for me is to see a good photo, instead of wanting THAT photo, I want to go to that spot and get my OWN photo. Replication is a part of it, but also that’s part of the challenge.

I plan to take a day trip out of Tokyo next month for this 1 single photo…I am hoping I have the right lens (70-200) as it needs the compression for it to work.

unev47G.png
I hope it works for you. It spends many days in cloud.

Sarcasm and mocking - it came across as bitter rather than funny. Possibly if I knew you things would be different, but I've only got the words on screen.

Sarcasm and mocking - it came across as bitter rather than funny. Possibly if I knew you things would be different, but I've only got the words on screen.

People on here take me up arseways all the time, I know what I mean, and I never mean near the ill intent they conjure up in their minds. So yeas, - words on a screen - people need to cater for that both ways. Don't be too sensitive to it.

People can be bored with whatever they like, it's not a crime.

but I've only got the words on screen.
That's the thing that some people never get. Without all the other cues from voice and body language what you intend one way can be taken quite differently. Hence emoticons: :thinking:

People on here take me up arseways all the time, I know what I mean, and I never mean near the ill intent they conjure up in their minds. So yeas, - words on a screen - people need to cater for that both ways. Don't be too sensitive to it.

People can be bored with whatever they like, it's not a crime.

That's true, and the Douglas Adams quote I used also seemed to have lost it's humour -- it's probably a bit too old now to be remembered.

That's true, and the Douglas Adams quote I used also seemed to have lost it's humour -- it's probably a bit too old now to be remembered.

What was the quote? I don't know of him so probably wouldn't know it anyway but curious

Douglas Adams wrote "The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and did for science fiction what Terry Pratchett did for fantasy (or should that be phantasy?). I didn't spot the quote either and I've just gone back through this thread lookng for it! :naughty:

I loved it and anyone of roughly an age to appreciate it will probably know the significance of the number 42.

Selfies taken on mobile phones, which are then plastered with flower and glitter clip art! Luckily not posted on here very frequently.

Selfies taken on mobile phones, which are then plastered with flower and glitter clip art!
Ah yes my favourite is the dogs ears, nose etc, some of the girls appear to be quite pretty but I'm never sure if they want to go for a meal, or down the park to play ball ?

:D

What I call a "tourist shot"

Where someone goes on holiday and takes a shot of the local eye candy and ignore everything not pleasing to the eye.

I get what people dislike about cliche'd shots but sometimes it's not just about the end product but about the enjoyment involved in getting to that point (mentally and physically). The other positive about re-taking shots that have been done to death is that people who know you (on social media for example) may see your photo and naturally be more inquisitive about where it is just because you're a member of their family or a friend etc. I know I have gone out to many places at many unusual times purely because I have seen photos, the locations of which have been photographed many many times but not seen by me until that point. That then motivates me to go to that location and also to look for other locations that haven't been photographed to death.

OK, but if the enjoyment is effectively unrelated to the end product, why display the end product?

OK, but if the enjoyment is effectively unrelated to the end product, why display the end product?

I may post a landscape photo that my family and friends see on social media that I don't consider to be good photographically but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy being there and someone else may see it and decide they like the look of the place regardless of any photographic interest.

Ah, but then I'd never see it, as I don't look at/use antisocial media. And therefore it wouldn't bore me, regardless of content/treatment/merit.

The thing about the internet is that you can always ignore what you don't like.

Unless you can't... :tumbleweed:

The thing about the internet is that you can always ignore what you don't like.

Unless you can't... :tumbleweed:

I don't like this post so I'm ignoring it.

I'm only posting so you know I don't like it and that I'm ignoring it. ok?

Don't answer that, because I wont see your reply as I'm ignoring you. I will actually see your reply and I might reply but I'm ignoring you. ok?

Think mine would be that bloody Puffin with a gob full of Sandeels.
Is it the same one or maybe a model nailed to the cliff top

Can think of a few other candidates, but what is your least favourite?
Been seeing more of those Puffin pictures now, can't say I could shot like that though.

TBH, I was referring to repetition on social rather than here/forums.

If you look at popular tags or follow photographers on the same patch, you get a lot of repetition on Instragram - and not just tourist snaps, but similar photos/edits from enthusiasts.

I mainly shoot in a quaint village called London which attracts quite a few togs!

So I've been reflecting on my own photography (self-analysis, not criticism of others) and I'm now actively trying to shoot original images, and not bothering to take or post "me too" images simply because I can.

But... I guess that's just the stage I'm at personally, and most people go through it? That is, reaching a certain level of competence (not 'excellence') and then looking for a unique indentity.

So I'll pipe down. :D

As an aside, I saw Scott Kelby visited China. https://spark.adobe.com/page/0GEzEAcHuY0EC/

I was enjoying his pictures... and then saw the shots featuring rows of togs shooting the same thing. Ugh. Personally I can't think of anything worse, but it obviously works for others.
I think the issue here isn't the images themselves but the social media habits.

I don't see too much repetitious hobby photography; but then I don't trawl places where it exists.

If I want genuine inspiration I look to the greats, if I want a well trodden concept to copy (sometimes I get a request for one) I spend 5 minutes on Pinterest to give me some pointers. But I wouldn't dream of surfing Pinterest, IG, Flickr for 'inspiration'.

For landscapes, the challenge for me is to see a good photo, instead of wanting THAT photo, I want to go to that spot and get my OWN photo. Replication is a part of it, but also that’s part of the challenge.

I plan to take a day trip out of Tokyo next month for this 1 single photo…I am hoping I have the right lens (70-200) as it needs the compression for it to work.

unev47G.png

I really like this shot and would love to have my own.

If you timed it well and got good light, you could get something very cool. That particular example I find a bit... Meh. I would almost rather it have more people and be more compressed, maybe an even longer lens, just to really get the sense of "impending mountain doom".

But me thinking that and me actually going out there and experimenting, going back several times over the course of days or weeks, and eventually getting something I am happy with... Two very different things. Good luck getting it!

Aurora borealis photos with someone standing looking/pointing at. We can see it, just get out the shot!!!:mad:
Any photo with some gurning idiot pointing - although it's a close run thing with the idiot pretending-to-hold-up-a-famously-non-vertical-edifice

Photos less than 10 years old taken on film.

Where film is used as a ‘band aid’ for not so good photography!

The ‘not bad for a phone’ type shots

Perhaps any shots that promote the camera/medium over the content. Let us judge the image value and then we’ll give you extra points at the end if you’ve used a phone/film/canon gear...;)

I've been thinking about this thread (what a boring life I must lead :)) and what sort of photos I really am bored of and I've come to the conclusion that, I'm happy too look at most things, but the one type (and it is a type) of photo that bored me to death is, where it's all about the technical and not the subject. Mainly found in the macro world. Where people are taking photos of coins, pens etc, just to show how great they are at getting real close.

Maternity shots, especially the ones of bare-chested guys holding newborn babies and mother's sideways taken bumps. Hate maternity bump shots.

Where film is used as a ‘band aid’ for not so good photography!

The ‘not bad for a phone’ type shots

Perhaps any shots that promote the camera/medium over the content. Let us judge the image value and then we’ll give you extra points at the end if you’ve used a phone/film/canon gear...;)
Yes I agree with you there
I don’t really get going out with a phone to specifically take macro shots of insects a mobile just isn’t made for that job
It’s different if you’re out and just have a phone to hand and you find something interesting

Last edited:
Back