What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing

I have no objection to any of the cliché type shots when they're done well (even overblown HDR works for some shots!)
I've even seen pictures of other peoples kids/pets that are interesting to look at :wideyed:

The shot's I'm getting fed up with are the ones of mine that haven't worked out quite as planned. Sometimes hundreds of them from one day. Strangely the REALLY bad ones aren't so bad as the nearly there ones that might be recoverable with careful editing.

I probably have 1000 shots from Saturday where the backgrounds are out of keeping with the dark age subjects - cars/vans or just other spectators all round so not much that could be done in camera - shooting wide open wasn't enough to obscure them.

Last edited:
How about this?

8zPNvPE.jpg

This post (even though as I understand it, was a little tongue in cheek) isn't really very encouraging, for those that like/want to post photos.

It was very tongue in cheek and those that post photos I'm sure will carry on doing so.
Better not be a greedy Puffin though :)

This post (even though as I understand it, was a little tongue in cheek) isn't really very encouraging, for those that like/want to post photos.
That's true. Some of the contributions made me think: what?!!!

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130336.JPG

TBH, I was referring to repetition on social rather than here/forums.

If you look at popular tags or follow photographers on the same patch, you get a lot of repetition on Instragram - and not just tourist snaps, but similar photos/edits from enthusiasts.

I mainly shoot in a quaint village called London which attracts quite a few togs!

So I've been reflecting on my own photography (self-analysis, not criticism of others) and I'm now actively trying to shoot original images, and not bothering to take or post "me too" images simply because I can.

But... I guess that's just the stage I'm at personally, and most people go through it? That is, reaching a certain level of competence (not 'excellence') and then looking for a unique indentity.

So I'll pipe down. :D

As an aside, I saw Scott Kelby visited China. https://spark.adobe.com/page/0GEzEAcHuY0EC/

I was enjoying his pictures... and then saw the shots featuring rows of togs shooting the same thing. Ugh. Personally I can't think of anything worse, but it obviously works for others.

..... strange that no-one has mentioned Bamburgh Castle .....
I'm hoping to be there on Saturday before dawn with a 10-stopper ... ;)

Or Corfe Castle, for that matter - or any bloody castle!

Last edited:
I've got to say - and I'm glad I'm not the first - sunsets. Unless they're b****y brilliant ones.

And golden hour light. For some reason even the best landscape photographers sometimes seem to think that plastering yellow/orange light across any landscape actually improves it! Many years ago (film days) people used to use yellow filters to do the same thing. Why?

I've got to say - and I'm glad I'm not the first - sunsets. Unless they're b****y brilliant ones.

A few months ago a lady started chatting to me as I was shooting city sunsets. :snaphappy:

As I went to show her my Instagram feed she said "Everyone just Photoshops skies now don't they...?"

Now I never change sky colour, but like many, I do enhance colours.

Either way, my bubble was burst. :LOL:

And golden hour light. For some reason even the best landscape photographers sometimes seem to think that plastering yellow/orange light across any landscape actually improves it! Many years ago (film days) people used to use yellow filters to do the same thing. Why?
They used yellow filters in Black & White photography to darken blues & so increase the contrast of clouds against the sky . They wouldn't work for giving a golden hour look.

Last edited:
They used yellow filters in Black & White photography to darken blues & so increase the contrast of clouds against the sky . They wouldn't work for giving a golden hour look.

I can assure you that yellow filters were used in colour photography as well to give that "warm" look.

A few months ago a lady started chatting to me as I was shooting city sunsets. :snaphappy:

As I went to show her my Instagram feed she said "Everyone just Photoshops skies now don't they...?"

:LOL:

If she meant enhances colours in skies well....yes.....I suppose most of us do, especially if we shoot RAW, but if she means drops new skies in......aaaarrrrgggghhhhh...... :police:

This should be the most popular photo ever taken then.

VAoXNH9.jpg

Win.

Frankly I'm insulted.

;)

It's an interesting thread - it makes me realise I probably enjoy the process more than the result. Isn't that interesting?

I adore photography and have done for over a decade, but I am not very talented - I simply don't practice enough I suppose. Almost all of my photos would be considered quite bland - and that's okay, because I love them :)

Oh I agree with the street, when people take a photo in the street that has no story. Thats generally why I tend to refer to it as "social reportage"
I can’t get enough of the ‘person on their phone’ shot from behind with a super telephoto, photographer safely nestled in the next town along!

I can’t get enough of the ‘person on their phone’ shot from behind with a super telephoto, photographer safely nestled in the next town along!
If you've tried using a super telephoto at an event, you may have found getting a shot without the person & their phone can be near impossible. Particularly annoying are those in the front row who still hold the blasted things up high to spoil our shots/view. :banghead:

Then go out and be original

I don’t actually think there is anything wrong with all these copycat photos, it’s a free country and people can do as they please but if said images are posted for praise then one needs to be able to cope with or better understand the comments aimed at ones lack of creativity.

Is novelty the only thing that makes a photo interesting or, dare I say it, worthy of being shown? I'd personally rather view a thousand conventional landscapes and milky rivers than see the next version of 2 Buckets.

It seems that although the thread was started tongue in cheek (that wasn't at all apparent) it has touched a nerve here. Maybe we could be gracious to each other instead and just accept we each value something different, and that just because it has no appeal for us does not make it any less valid.

Last edited:
On Instagram it’s the constant moody Scotland shots that bug me. The editing is just so far off. But you need to get the moody grams up there so you can get more followers.

Also Instagram. More landscapes. But make sure you’re in the photo yourself with your bright coloured waterproof jacket. Need that for the gram.

Also Instagram. Those who post images of the backs of their cameras with the image they have just taken showing up. And not to mention the brightly coloured L brackets and fancy tripods. So exciting when I see these posts being shared by the likes of Canon

Ah - one of my favourites!

And you should be able to take and view all the 'Two Buckets' and related images you like.

Just like I generally skip over the wildlife & buckets pictures, so you should be able to happily avoid all those you find tedious to get to those which excit and inspire you. :)

Back