What is this artifact called and what can be done with it?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all. So long story short, I have some old really crappy video shot i low light and low res. The whole image is green due to the bad low light quality. And im not expecting wonders here by any means but after Video AI telling me it was going to take most of my life to slightly improve the quality I thought I would see what I could do with screencaps but the video has this blocky artifact all through it. Can anyone give me an idea of what its called and if there are softwares out there (both photo and video) that can minimise it with a big loss in detail?

Im happy to purchase any software that will do the job but im not a PS expert or anything so using a million layers etc will fly over my head lol.

A secondry question would be when editing very low res screencaps would it be better to use something like Topaz Gigapixel to increase the image size before editing? Would it help to improve the image editing? Or should I edit what I have first and then upscale?

Many thanks

Snapshot_1.JPG

Snapshot.JPG

IMO you are seeing 'noise'.

I am curious, which Video AI program is it that you are talking about?

Edit following @4wd post
I missed the time stamp but I wonder subject to which Video AI you mention, whether Topaz Video Enhance AI is worth trialling :thinking:

Last edited:
If this is camcorder footage from 1980 it isn't going to be worth spending much on.
Is that the whole frame, what is there you want to save?
It almost looks like the tape (presumably) is badly degraded.
For video neat image can work pretty well but usually you just have a touch of noise in shadows or something rather than whole screen disaster zone.
The problem is all noise reduction inevitably loses some detail so it's a balancing act not to end up with something almost cartoonlike.
Applying the NR at different rates to the more distracting areas while not mushing out details so much in the subject(s) is feasible with masking.
What is the size of your screen grabs in pixels WxH

Last edited:
If this is camcorder footage from 1980 it isn't going to be worth spending much on.
Is that the whole frame, what is there you want to save?
For video neat image can work pretty well but usually you just have a touch of noise in shadows or something rather than whole screen disaster zone.
The problem is all noise reduction inevitably loses some detail so it's a balancing act not to end up with something almost cartoonlike.
Applying the NR at different rates to the more distracting areas while not mushing out details so much in the subject(s) is feasible with masking.
What is the size of your screen grabs in pixels WxH
OK so regarding the footage it wasn't shot in 1980, the date just wasn't set on the camera! However it might as well have been as it was just a very low quality camera and shot in bad lighting.

The only reason I care is that the footage is of someone dear to me who has passed on.

The video ai software was indeed Topaz Video AI and due to my system not being hugely powerful the software was giving me around 10 seconds per frame and using the preview the result simply wasn't worth it.

I'm not sure the artifacts are simple noise, they are blocky rather than noisy. Like I say I'm not expecting much from it but just wondered if there was anything out there software wise I hadn't heard of to bring out whatever may be possible from it.

Unfortunately as you have discovered the most current software is very hardware critical.

It might help others feedback if you stated
The make and model of the video camera & the format of the video...................none too sure what may be possible but just maybe there is something that could help 'pull' something out?

Back