Beginner What is vineting?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I have heard vineting being mentioned and it's a concept I have heard of but never really understood. I am trying to find examples of what it looks like or what it is but I am having troubles finding any information.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Paul

And once searched for as Phil so helpfully suggests lol - you'll find its just a technique to darken the edges of a photo to place more emphasis on what you want the viewer to look at, usually the middle area rather than the edge :)

Sometimes its caused unintentionally too by some lenses, use of filters etc.

Dave

Yes. And there are commands in many picture processing software that can attempt to remove unwanted vignetting. Or even add it. Either subtly or ferociously. Where the corners and the sides of the image fade to black.

Last edited:
Or in my case, hastily fitted lens hoods :(

Never happened to me ;)

And you can even create artistic white vignettes too as some Wedding togs local to me do :)

You just have to be a tasteless & tacky old-fashion knob to do so :D

Dave

EDIT - unless Phil does it in which case is wonderful lol

I've not used white vignetting yet, but I'm sure there's a situation where it would work. But just as a one off. Some people don't know when to stop. They probably give that Instagram faded look to "all" their pictures. Or cant resist over using their new expensive plug in.

Last edited:
Vignetting also goes under other names, like corner-shading, or peripheral illumination etc. There's optical vignetting that is a characteristic of all lenses where the corners and edges are darker than the centre. Wide-angles are most prone to it, but it goes away almost completely at higher f/numbers. This form of vignetting is easily corrected in software, often automatically in-camera these days.

Then there's mechanical vignetting, which is basically user-error - stacking filters is one example, and using a lens hood that's too big, or put on crooked is another. That's simply the filter/hood intruding into the field of view and appearing in the corners of the picture.

Never happened to me ;)

And you can even create artistic white vignettes too as some Wedding togs local to me do :)

You just have to be a tasteless & tacky old-fashion knob to do so :D

Dave

EDIT - unless Phil does it in which case is wonderful lol
I'm working towards my white vignette stage :)
The first step of which is joining one of them Societies im led to believe ;)

I'm guilty of using this quite a bit back in the day until i realised its a bit tacky...

Or in my case, hastily fitted lens hoods :(

My sister used to regularly and deliberately shoot with a long focal length hood on her wide and of course the result was like looking down a tunnel. The first time I saw her do it I asked why and the obvious reply was "I like it." :D

Vignetting also goes under other names, like corner-shading, or peripheral illumination etc. There's optical vignetting that is a characteristic of all lenses where the corners and edges are darker than the centre. Wide-angles are most prone to it, but it goes away almost completely at higher f/numbers. This form of vignetting is easily corrected in software, often automatically in-camera these days.

Then there's mechanical vignetting, which is basically user-error - stacking filters is one example, and using a lens hood that's too big, or put on crooked is another. That's simply the filter/hood intruding into the field of view and appearing in the corners of the picture.

Another source of (extreme) mechanical vignetting can be the use of crop lenses on FF bodies. The one below was shot specifically to demonstrate what a Sigma 10-20 does at 10mm on an FF body.

GPN_3119 by gpn63, on Flickr

(Oops! Failed to grab the BB code first time round!)

Last edited:
Another source of (extreme) mechanical vignetting can be the use of crop lenses on FF bodies. The one below was shot specifically to demonstrate what a Sigma 10-20 does at 10mm on an FF body.

GPN_3119 by gpn63, on Flickr

(Oops! Failed to grab the BB code first time round!)

Snap! Almost anyway, Tokina 11-16mm on 35mm film

10 Feet Tall (CMS20) by Alan Jones, on Flickr

And if you push the movements too far on a large format camera, you end up outside the image circle of the lens - as shown here:

View attachment 43623

And once searched for as Phil so helpfully suggests lol - you'll find its just a technique to darken the edges of a photo to place more emphasis on what you want the viewer to look at, usually the middle area rather than the edge :)

Sometimes its caused unintentionally too by some lenses, use of filters etc.

Dave
Or an error caused by the lens.

Back