What is wrong with me - cant stop buying!

Name
Lyle
Edit My Images
No
I think I need help. Last week I decided to just buy a 70-200mm f/2.8 mk2 which, although I love, I had to do some explaining to the wife .

Now, I've just gone and purchased a 5d mk2 ! I've wanted one for ages but if my wife finds out she'll kill me! I'm hoping she doesn't notice the difference between the 550d and the 5d!

Got it for £1,000 on eBay during the England game (good time to grab a bargain on eBay) and couldn't help myself.

I'm so excited but worried about my compulsive buying...

......what this old thing? I've had it for ages......

.....and get it delivered to work!

Heather

I'm suffering from the opposite and still not got a camera yet!

Haha, well done. I'm terrible at buying things, even when the Wife is telling me to buy!

Been trying to find a 100mm f/2 for awhile now and just keep hovering over the BIN button on eBay. Think it's just my nature fir a bargain.

Enjoy the 5D2 :cool:

My girlfriend has been working abroad but may be back in the UK in September so any big money buys will need to be done by then :D

Lol let your wife go on a shopping spree to say sorry x

Im getting divorced so ive got all this to come, but no nagging, after she takes me for everything i have first :)

There's nothing wrong with you, i have the same urges from time to time. Fortunately, my girlfriend is normally sat next to me while i trundling through these bargains :LOL: the latest comment is: "we could go on holiday for 2 weeks for that price of that!" :LOL:

It is a condition induced by consumer capitalism and lack of spritual enlightenment. If you want to remove GAS you need to realise that material goods bring no long term happiness and start the search for that missing spiritual side.

Unfortunately, less than 1% of people can do this succesfully so in the meantime let's just buy more and more stuff...

Hehe sometimes flicking between treads i dont read them fully, i must have though i read 24-70mm. nvm

Good luck anyway

Im getting divorced so ive got all this to come, but no nagging, after she takes me for everything i have first :)

Hang on in their mate,know the feeling my ex took all my stocks photos,never did ever get them :(.

Then try to force me thought her solictor,to sell all my gear so she good get half the money,i was a pro at the time :thumbsdown:

simonblue said:
Hang on in their mate,know the feeling my ex took all my stocks photos,never did ever get them :(.

Then try to force me thought her solictor,to sell all my gear so she good get half the money,i was a pro at the time :thumbsdown:

Thanks mate.

Im currently being shafted.

lol, nothing wrong with you.

i thought i'd just get into photography with a £300 D3100 kit using my bonus, ended up spending £1000 on 2 more lenses, 1 flashgun, 2 bags and every single other accessory you could imagine.

luckily all my lenses are crop DX, so that just closes my upgrade path for the next few years. although the 24MP D3200........... no! :bonk:

I bought a 7D about 4 months ago, having owned a 550D for a year. Despite numerous outings, the wife has not noticed, despite the top LCD, wheels on the back, etc etc. Surprised me, I have to say.

That said, I've not sold the 550D yet - I have to wait for her to be out so I can photo it and list on classifieds, then surreptitiously post it out. Going to be stressful!

She still has absolutely no idea how much I spent on the Sigma Bigma. Probably <half what it actually cost.

Secrets... keeping marriages going since time began :D.

Why don't you tell her that you found an old, bulky discontinued model for about the same price and exchanged tha 550d??? ;)

Reminds me of when I swapped a D5000 for a D300.

Wife: Why have you bought that?
Me: It's better than the last one.
Wife: Oh right. Does it take better photos?
Me: No, same sensor.
Wife: Hmmm. Does it do better video?
Me: No, it doesn't do video at all.
Wife: Where's the auto mode?
Me: Doesn't have one.
Wife: Right. So why is this better?
Me: Ermm, it's heavier.

:)

Secrets... keeping marriages going since time began :D.

We are more open than that. We are now at the stage where we waste as much money as each other so don't even ask or have to hide.
We just know that what the other has just had delivered won't have been cheap and probably wasn't really needed.

I hope to have cured my GAS, now running a pair of 1d IV's 24-70, 70-200 IS , 300mm IS (all 2.8) and a 50mm 1.4 a pair of 580 EXII's and 1.4 and 2x extenders. I can't need/want anything else can I?

ok a few more CF cards I only have 1 for each camera, maybe a wide angle the awesome 10-22mm wont fit :( maybe the mkII 70-200 ohh and the 100mm macro would be nice. I think thats it.

Really laughing at some of this. The whole 'we could've bought a holiday' was the first thing she said about the 70-200.

I'm now trying to coordinate the sale of the 550d but she has eBay on her iPhone so I need to turn off her alerts!

Good to know some of you have understanding partners or have managed to conceal new gear or just don't care about their compulsive buying!

All very stressful and I feel like I'm gonna get rumbled but let's see how it goes...

Commiserations to the divorcees :(

My girlfriend just indulges any purchases for now, as long as I keep her in holidays. Hence my Fuji X10 purchased yesterday &#128515;

My mrs is yet to realise the 'could have bought a holiday' bit and i really hope she doesnt realise it any time soon.
I did put my foot in it when i mentioned that the 5D3 and 24-70 2.8 L that i so badly need is in the region of 5K!!

Im quite lucky at the minute, me and my girlfriend still live at home so her money is hers and my money is mine, to spend as we please. She does like to have a look at what ive been buying and occasionally rolls her eyes but no moaning just yet.

However once we move out I know all that will change, so im just going to relish in my GAS while I can!

Bloomin 'eck. I buy lots of stuff. I don't get any grief for it - my partner says what I earn is mine - end of.

Sounds like your weren't incorporated, would have made it very difficult for her to touch anything.

Never an issue here. My wife takes the attitude that it's much cheaper than buying cars, like I used too. I was forever changing my cars and losing lots of money.
I've bought a couple of expensive ones in the past without telling here.

Kev.

Whats it got to do with the wife anyway, man up and tell her to sod off and keep her nose out, and who gave her permission to come out of the kitchen anyway. :D

I find a bit of amateur psychology helps....

Most of my stuff is used so I always say what the new price would have been and then how much it actually cost and focus on the 'saving' amount.

Then you say how much you'd get if you sold it on (this bit can be used for new stuff too) and give her the depreciation amount to focus on. Then you can mention something you purchased for her, or she bought, that is more than that amount.:thinking:

For instance: My D3 now only cost £200, not £3k for a new one, which is less than I spent on her last birthday present.:D

Job done(y)

lol, I was the other way about recently in that because it's pro gear it will sell for almost the same value so the risk in spending so much is low as you can recoupe it. It was working like a charm, the equipment deliveries were flowing in and all was mellow in the household..... until she got a trip to Australia in her head - which then became her bargaining chip. Crafty creatures these women and my wallet is now positively petrified of her! ;)

I find a bit of amateur psychology helps....

Most of my stuff is used so I always say what the new price would have been and then how much it actually cost and focus on the 'saving' amount.

Then you say how much you'd get if you sold it on (this bit can be used for new stuff too) and give her the depreciation amount to focus on. Then you can mention something you purchased for her, or she bought, that is more than that amount.:thinking:

For instance: My D3 now only cost £200, not £3k for a new one, which is less than I spent on her last birthday present.:D

Job done(y)

That's the way I do it, 'but hunny, if I buy the L lens then if I wanna sell it, it'll be worth more....'....:D

I think I need help. Last week I decided to just buy a 70-200mm f/2.8 mk2 which, although I love, I had to do some explaining to the wife .

Now, I've just gone and purchased a 5d mk2 ! I've wanted one for ages but if my wife finds out she'll kill me! I'm hoping she doesn't notice the difference between the 550d and the 5d!

Got it for £1,000 on eBay during the England game (good time to grab a bargain on eBay) and couldn't help myself.

I'm so excited but worried about my compulsive buying...

you either have lots of money or loads of debt... hope it's not the latter.

I had a slight case of "must have" when I first got into SLR photography with digital, but it died down once I realised that acquiring a new piece of gear every few months didn't fundamentally change what came on the memory card. Thankfully most camera gear has a reasonably good return on the investment so you don't actually lose very much when you sell and trade up. One thing I did gain is the variety of photos from different bits of equipment that I will always cherish, and the fortune of being able to experience different lenses and cameras, my two favourites of my digital venture being the Sigma 10-20 lens and my ancient Canon 1Ds.

Now I'm back to basics with a cheap film camera and lens with the hood taped on... and I couldn't be happier. Your addiction will wear off I'm sure once you realise that.

Last edited:
Back