What is your best photo you have taken in 2013 and why?

For me, it was this one.

Reason: I bought my first DSLR because I travel all over the country with work, and in doing so I often come across some amazing sites. I often wished, at the time of seeing such sights, that I had a decent camera rather than make do with the camera on my phone. So anyway, I was in Southport on a job and after tea, I went down to the beach to see if could get a sunset from under the pier. I was on my way back to the hotel after thinking I'd finished when I decided to run up to the gates of the pier to see what time the pier opened and closed. It was when I got there that the sky changed again and I quickly got my camera back out and starting shooting again to try and get a decent shot before I lost the colours and this was, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. Looking at this shot reminds me of why I bought a DSLR and got into photography in the first place. I bought it in the September of 2012 and I'm still loving it thus proving my wife wrong that it was just "another fad"!!

Southport Pier
by
Matthew West

father_and_son_by_smokemadpat-d6loa3k.jpg

love_by_smokemadpat-d6lwi3i.jpg

I took both od these this year,

My 1st baby shoot, I'm learning so much all of the time,

Spending far too much time on here reading :)

have a great 2014

2013 was the year my passion for photography exploded. I've gone from my old D3000 to a D5100 to a D7100 in a little over 2 years, and from an 18-55 kit to a Nikon 35 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Sigma 10-20 & Sigma 70-200 2.8 in about the same. I've developed a love of HDR, landscapes and portraiture that far outstrips my ability and have taken photos that I'm deeply proud of.

I còuld take this as a chance to show off something arty I'm proud of, but I'm more proud of something else. So here he is, daft hair and all;

Evil Hairdryer
by phookoo, on Flickr

Awesome thread, just enjoyed it from start to finish.
For me it's this one, can't really say why for sure as I've shot plenty of technically and aesthetically better images but as a petrol head it's a shot I've had in my head for years but never had the car, location or weather all come together all at once until driving back from buttermere one day after the weather turned against us and suddenly it hit me how the view might look from the road, so I parked up, shot the scene and went home in anticipation, praying it looked as good on the big screen as the LCD. And to me at least, it does.

Last edited:
Some amazing images in this thread, hard to compete but here is my film shooters contribution:

9645379740_07d159e195_b.jpg

Olympic Stadium, Berlin- August 2013

I have shot a lot of 35mm and 120 film this year, I still like the flexibility of 35mm and this shot was taken with my ultra cheap 19-35mm Cosina wide angle , Circular Polariser all attached to my old but trusty Nikon F100. It was taken on out of date Fuji Reala developed by Asda and scanned on my Epson V500, some slight tweaking in LR4.

I was a student in Berlin in the early 1980's and this summer I spent an excellent week back in the city, much had changed although it is a city where all the buildings have a much bigger story to tell!

Last edited:
Great thread, but a tricky question!

Probably this one, taken late afternoon i early October whilst walking along the banks of the Zambezi in Mana Pools NP, Zimbabwe. Partly because I like the image, but also because it is somewhere I love and this picture brings back such great memories.

10350465773_c064a40bfe_o.jpg

Some stunning images, what a great thread! The year isn't over yet tho ;)

Without a doubt this is mine.

Flickr has done it's over sharpening business it seems to do sometimes. It's my favourite simply for the 100's of duff ones. By far my worst keeper rate ever on a single day!

Awesome thread, just enjoyed it from start to finish.
For me it's this one, can't really say why for sure as I've shot plenty of technically and aesthetically better images but as a petrol head it's a shot I've had in my head for years but never had the car, location or weather all come together all at once until driving back from buttermere one day after the weather turned against us and suddenly it hit me how the view might look from the road, so I parked up, shot the scene and went home in anticipation, praying it looked as good on the big screen as the LCD. And to me at least, it does.

The location looks very similar to where a scene of Skyfall was filmed.

Getting my granddaughter to stay still long enough for me to take this photo was enough for me to make this my favourite photo this year.

What an absolute pleasure it is looking at some of the amazing photo's and stories in this thread :D

My best this year is something completely different to anything else likely to be in this thread.

Basal Cell Carcinoma
by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

I've been on a year long placement which I've got 2 weeks left in a Histopathology laboratory as part of my Biomedical Scientist training (with that as my speciality naturally). I had to conduct research as part of my degree into something so I chose how the anti BerEP4 antibody binds to Basal Cells in skin and other types of tissue, then grading them using a standardised system (UKNEQAS in this case). My results not only developed a far more optimised system for basal cell staining, yet they also proved far cheaper, which the NHS loves (by a factor of 10).

The difficulty in microscope based photography is often the software and the limited camera you have available. Even though I used a leica microscope and camera worth a few grand each, the software (also leica) wasn't great, meaning I had to get creative to ensure that I had a consistent output. Good learning process non the less. The picture is of an invasive nodular basal cell carcinoma that has infiltrated the subcutaneous level of the skin, shown as the brown stained parts. The flecks of brown that are isolated at the mid-top of the photo are mast cells, which also stain using this antibody.

This is my favorite shot of 2013... This is a picture of my youngest daughter Sadie just 12 days old. It was a very difficult pregnancy and I wasn't able to get out and shoot as much as I wanted most of the year but just getting to take these newborn pictures of her made up for that..!
11163738274_f810bc0b32_c.jpg

i have only just found this site today, awesome pictures here. im going to have a root around and find my favourite :exit:

Indeed fantastic thread!! this has been a hard one to choose indeed, this is one with me in the picture enjoying the fantastic cloud inversion which we had in Snowdonia one morning after setting off to the summit around 02:30 in darkness and a moment I shall never forget. All the very best for 2014 fellow members

Dawn - Snowdonia
by Kevin OBrian, on Flickr

Last edited:

I really didn't get out much this year with the camera :-( maybe 2014 will prove to be more fruitful.

Of the few I have taken this stands out, in February I used a few spare minutes on route to a business meeting at the iconic Selfridge's Building at the Bullring in Birmingham. 50mm lens on a Nikon F80. I have seen so many photos of the discs but the B&W film simplified the repeating discs to almost an abstract image.

(sorry wrong image initially - Flickr really has got worst)

Last edited:
I feel like I have come a long way since I first started shooting with my DSLR in October this year. I have tried many different styles and techniques throwing myslef in the deep end by shooting only RAW and full Manual - then editing in Lightroom. Not surprisingly my favourite shot of the year is one of the most recent I have taken, from my first real attempt at portraits after a lot of persuading my wife that she did want to model for me!

Untitled
by Rabc3, on Flickr

It was also a shot that I didn't use a pre-set for but edited from scratch in a muted colour style that I'd also wanted to try for a while - so I am a particularly pleased with the resultant image.

Maybe not as stunning as some of the amazing images above, but from where I started to get here has been an intersting, exciting and fulfilling journey! :)

Next year I hope to continue improving my basic technique and try and get started with Elements 12...

Rob

There is so much talent on this forum!

This is my best photo of the year; I was so in the moment and the guidance I received from the members here on TP was invaluable. I am looking forward to 2014.

I was just 50 yards from my home when I stumbled upon this little thing, with a lens unsuited for the job I tried to capture the shot as best I could.

This is my favourite picture simply because I was so lucky to be able to capture it.

1002947_10151684919567603_1358401377_n.jpg

Last edited:
Some amazing photos in here!

I haven't taken as many photos this year as I would have liked so didn't have lots to chose from. This one may be my favourite - not sure if it's the best though.

The light shines down over Keswick
by GeordieKat, on Flickr

To give the back story (sorry it's long!), every year at the end of August, my Dad, Sister and I go walking in the Lake District to commemorate the death of Mum as she loved it over there.
This particular weekend it had done pretty much nothing but rain and otherwise thick cloud the whole time so I'd pretty much abandoned any hope of any sunset pictures. Completely out of character at the end of the day, Dad decided to keep driving past our hotel (near Amble) and head north towards Keswick where it looked a bit brighter. We drove through some more rain but could see what was looking like a promising sunset starting. We ended up coming down the side of Derwent and stopped in the car park at the bottom. By the time we got there, what had looked like potential decent light had (of course!) pretty much vanished but so as not to waste a journey I got out the car anyway and took a few shots. After 10 minutes or so, this gap in the clouds started to appear and move over, getting bigger and bigger. I'm not religious person or anything but it's almost like Mum was looking down and trying to give me one half decent photo for the weekend. So for that reason, it's my favourtie.

Some great images in here (y)

This one is more of favourite for me too rather than best.

Reasoning being, I don't get to take many photos of Lynn. She hates having her picture taken, I only have to point the camera in her direction and she isn't happy :LOL:

If you think I'm joking, the look on her face in this photo says it all, "smile please" :LOL:

Anyway, I got this when she wasn't expecting it :D She was reading a chalk board menu outside a pub in Fairford when we were down for the RIAT.

Just wish I hadn't cropped the top of her hair and glasses :(, but it was just a quick point, adjust and shoot :)

Lynn, Fairford July '13
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back