weekly matwest904q's 52 in 2014 Thread

Thanks David. I was looking at that myself and in fairness, I should've spent a bit more time on it. I also think that there's not enough contrast between the worktop and the silver nuts.

Hi Mathew
I quite like it, the place in the frame is fine though you have just clipped some of the reflections as Andy said maybe a B+W or a different BG as you have already said
Good start

Hi Matthew....I like how we can see the bolt reflections in the marble. As others have said, the framing could perhaps be more central and rather than use photoshop to remove the crack in the marble, just take a minute next time to recompose before shooting to avoid such distractions.

Hi Matt,

I like the image but its framed a little thin and the bottom. I like the texture and reflection and I disagree with what you said earlier:

I ... think that there's not enough contrast between the worktop and the silver nuts.

The contrast is there for me in the top right silver nuts and thats where the torus of the image is so no complaint from me there.

Good start! (y)

Thanks guys, I've had some really constructive comments and as soon as people mention things I'm seeing the issue straight away. I've never really been one for asking "what do you mean?" and with the comments so far, I've not had to, so thanks again to everyone. It's really appreciated.

HI Matthew & a belated welcome from me :wave:

I quite like the framing cos it's ODD..... but just a smidge more at the bottom would have included all the reflections.....off to a flying start though :)

ps....can't get your linky to work from the pic only thread.......

Thank you Dan, I'm looking forward to the challenge. Although, on saying that, I'm losing my camera on Monday (I'm part ex'ing it) and I'm not sure when my new one will turn up! If all else fails, I'll use my daughters D3100.

The reflections are just clipped at the bottom and the vertical line distracts somewhat. Other than that I like the shot which fits the theme well.

Thought of barcodes myself.. (y), composition works fine, no problems with the processing for me, B&W popular for this theme and fits with a barcode well.

Nice use of DOF to isolate the barcode from the BG,

Nice simple photograph, well composed and nice detail. I'd like to see colour version. Crit, not sure why the BG box is there, even though it has the word HT on it.

Cheers.

Hi, thanks for all your comments.

By the time I finally got my hands on my camera it was a little late in the day. I decided to keep it relatively simple with the barcode theme and use the camera magazine as a background to keep it on the photography theme. I tried to keep certain words visible without being too distracting (pHOTo, creative and pictures) and as has been mentioned, I used DOF to highlight the actual barcodes and edited it as a mono because I felt the colours of the magazine were too distracting considering the small size of the barcodes. Thank you all again for taking the time to comment.

I won't be commenting too much, if at all, on peoples entries due to me still getting to grips with the technical details and terms of photography. I do hope people aren't too offended by this and I hope to rectify this as the challenge goes on.

I won't be commenting too much, if at all, on peoples entries due to me still getting to grips with the technical details and terms of photography. I do hope people aren't too offended by this and I hope to rectify this as the challenge goes on.

Hi, don't want to sound like an ar*e, but I work on a quid pro quo basis. Forget technical details and photographic terms, just say what you like or don't like about posted photographs (y)

Cheers.

I like the picture. Barcodes wasn't an idea I had thought about. Using the magazine as a oof background adds to the image.

Hi, don't want to sound like an ar*e, but I work on a quid pro quo basis. Forget technical details and photographic terms, just say what you like or don't like about posted photographs (y)

Cheers.
I'm afraid I agree. Don't worry about being technical just join in. Some of the valuable feedback is to get other people's opinion's on their likes (or otherwise) or interpretations of the images.

Ok, thanks guys. I'll set aside a couple of hours tomorrow (and maybe later if I get a chance) and get to work on the comments. I just didn't want to be repeating what's already been said or give one line comments like "I real like this shot because it's ace". Sometimes I'll love a shot but can't put into words why? It's definitely something I need to improve on.

Week 2 - Play

My take on this weeks topic Play, is this:

"You've walked into the wrong neighbourhood, hombre!"

TP52 in '14
by
Matthew West

My idea behind this was to have a bit of fun with the topic Play. Certainly in my home, the traditional type boardgames have been put in the cupboard in favour of the more modern games consoles. I think it's a bit of a shame really.

I tried to focus on the dog but it still seems a little out of focus. I may come back and redo this in the future. I was also going to convert it to mono but decided to keep the colour in the end.

Thank you for looking.

Last edited:
Back