What is your experience regarding updates by APPLE?

... so spending £1000 on a Dell XPS in 2014 gave me a machine that was finally retired earlier this year ...
Some laptops are very long lived, such as this teensy weensy Sony Picturebook from 2000, which still runs up as shown here, albeit with a knackered clock battery...

Sony Vaio Picturebook miniature laptop S10 DSCN0788.JPG

I bought this with my ill gotten gains from the millenium bug fuss and used it on a few jobs, until my eyes threatened to go on strike. Although tiny, it's heavier than the LG Gram 17 inch on which I'm typing this!

Often cheap laptops have an extremely short shelf life. Some brands definitely seem designed to fail early too.

I had a tiny 11" Sony, bought used for about £85 that I used as a travel machine after installing Linux and replaced the keyboard. Gave it to a friend who was starting a new business in the end.

I'm starting to get sick of the enormous flow of Windows updates that, much more often than years ago, completely mess up all kinds of settings, erase items completely or suddenly change the color and design of maps, buttoms, text etc.

After yesterday's update by Microsoft, a photo editing program suddenly had stopped working, the general color of all pages was changed in a black background, instead of the chosen default white preference, plus the complete structure/layouts of all my folders and sub-folders in the so-called library changed to something I didn't want at all, strangely enough the screen (photo) background I chose was suddenly gone and nowhere to be found on my laptop.

This makes me very tired, because this year I've already had to restore everything three times. It's also remarkable that more and more parts in Windows 11 can no longer be restored as an option. Microsoft Windows has been an annoyance to me for quite long and I have been thinking about switching to Apple for some time now, but I don't know exactly what Apple's approach to updates is and whether it causes the same kind of damage Windows11 does after each update?

That is the reason why I never update the operating system and the application software. The only thing I always update is anti-virus and Internet Security.

I'm still using Windows 7 Professional Edition, and as for my iPad, it's still on iOS 11 (current iOS is 17), plus I never update the apps unless necessary.

In my option, if it's doing fine so far so good, then don't update. I disable auto update settings.

Either way, Microsoft or Apple, you'll be updating anyway, unless you opt to turn off the auto upload and stick with the current version for as long as you can.

I love my mac but there is no need for year os updates, its killing product innovation as devs spend a big portion of their time making it work (photomechanic latest case in point)

Windows is going the same way as I understand it so pick whichever OS you prefer

For me its simply cost , apple products are way out of my pocket , a simple W11 laptop nowadays with an SSD and 16gb or ram is like £500 new and it will do anything windows related.
It will also last a good 3-4 years no Drama , as to the updates yes there is a few but that is MS pushing the product forward and I like most of it myself.

I am also a recently retired network engineer spending most of my working life in PUTTY which just works,

For me the biggest winner for Windows is it runs on anything, old PCs, old laptops, mini nuc PC's terminals absolutly anything
you can even take an old case and a shed load of scrap and build a box that windows will just breeze onto.

Apart from Linux it is the poor persons savour

Mac O/S might be great but you have to shell out for apple hardware which is silly overpriced, soldered ram on motherboards and storage so when there is an issue the whole board is a loss absolutely terrible keyboards that when go wrong cost many £100s to fix? There is a reason Apple is the richest company in the world.

Apple just come out with a version that runs seamlessly on all the other types of kit out there and then lets see how good it realy is?

Last edited:
Currently I'm holding off upgrading to Sonoma, as I rather fear the driver for my 2011 Canon MG5250 printer will finally stop working, and I'll have to buy a new printer. Clearly, a lot of these little problems would be simply resolved if I wasn't such a, um, thrifty person!
Finally bit the bullet this morning and upgraded to Sonoma. I'm both relieved and annoyed to report that printing to my 12 year old Canon MG5250 works just as it did previously. Relieved, because I don't have to replace the printer; annoyed because I don't have an excuse to yupgrade to the better printer I would quite like!

I have a Mac Studio and BenQ screen. I found yesterday that the colour has shifted so I am sending off to FS for new ICC profiles. Wary of updating, I am wondering if LR and Photoshop will work if I update to Sonoma before I do this. When I shifted to the Studio, it was something of a mare and Adobe chat made it worse hence my reluctance. Any advice please?

I have a Mac Studio and BenQ screen. I found yesterday that the colour has shifted so I am sending off to FS for new ICC profiles. Wary of updating, I am wondering if LR and Photoshop will work if I update to Sonoma before I do this. When I shifted to the Studio, it was something of a mare and Adobe chat made it worse hence my reluctance. Any advice please?
I have a Mac Studio running MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1. Both Adobe apps PS 25.5.1 and Lightroom Classic 13.2 run without any issues. I have never had an issue with them when upgrading. Are you running an old version of either app?

Last edited:
I have a Mac Studio running MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1. Both Adobe apps PS 25.5.1 and Lightroom Classic 13.2 run without any issues. I have never had an issue with them when upgrading. Are you running an old version of either app?
I am on LR latest and Photoshop 23-ish.

PS works fine on Sonoma, in fact all my apps were fine. What was the problem with the colour shift as I too have a BenQ 4k monitor and that works without any adjustments.

Studio, BenQ 4K monitor and latest version of everything. Everything works just fine.

I do wonder why you sent off for new Fotospeed ICC profiles though because of a screen colour shift. New printer profiles aren't going to help your display colours. I have noticed once or twice that after an update Apple have changed the display profile back to the default so it may be a simple case of changing it back to your custom profile. You do profile you display right?

Last edited:
Studio, BenQ 4K monitor and latest version of everything. Everything works just fine.

I do wonder why you sent off for new Fotospeed ICC profiles though because of a screen colour shift. New printer profiles aren't going to help your display colours. I have noticed once or twice that after an update Apple have changed the display profile back to the default so it may be a simple case of changing it back to your custom profile. You do profile you display right?
It’s not a shift in screen colour; it’s a change most obviously in the red which is coming out orange. I have calibrated. I have run the printout to make sure the heads are all clear. I consulted Fotospeed and was advised to redo the profiles. I think this is also a good opportunity to update the software of my Mac and Apps; I have read reports that Sonoma was causing problems which is my concern.

Last edited:
It’s not a shift in screen colour; it’s a change most obviously in the red which is coming out orange. I have calibrated. I have run the printout to make sure the heads are all clear. I consulted Fotospeed and was advised to redo the profiles. I think this is also a good opportunity to update the software of my Mac and Apps; I have read reports that Sonoma was causing problems which is my concern.

Ah, sorry I assumed a colour shift in the display as you mentioned your BenQ monitor.

You shouldn’t have any issues upgrading. I always keep my software up to date pretty much as soon as it’s released and touch wood, never had any issues.

Ah, sorry I assumed a colour shift in the display as you mentioned your BenQ monitor.

You shouldn’t have any issues upgrading. I always keep my software up to date pretty much as soon as it’s released and touch wood, never had any issues.
Am just updating my manual backups and am giving it a go.

Just an update: so far so good. All Apps up to date and Sonoma installed. The issue with the dodgy Red was resolved by Tim Jones at Fotospeed: uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Happy bunny!

The worse thing it did to me, I was just getting the hang of W10, when it updated without asking to W11.
I'm wondering if this is written by a bot or just a copy and paste moan as a regular human would have simply clicked the button that says stay on Windows 10.

I'm wondering if this is written by a bot
It might be, but I doubt it, who knows for sure, however,
can a bot ban you? lets find out shall we?

a regular human would have simply clicked the button that says stay on Windows 10.
I never got the option, The next time I booted up the lap top, it went on to install W11 without asking.

Last edited:
Back