What is your "Go To" local place? -communal thread.

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
If you need to scratch the photography "itch" and get out of the house for a few hours and bit of photography practice, what is your local place where you enjoy going and just taking a few snaps? These are mine...
Stockton On Tees. Only about 5 miles from home, lights up nice and reflects beautifully on a still night. Called the Infinity Bridge, for obvious reasons.
DSC_0115 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

And the Transporter Bridge in Middlesbrough.
11_02_18_137 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

Last edited:

Brilliant idea for a thread, Jason! I only hope you meant it
communal so it is ok for me to post this. If not, I will take
it down. :cool:

At just some 2 km from the studio, the marsh is my go to
place. I mainly go there to relax after of before any shoot.
I go there to give classes 3 or 4 times per week and much
shorter visits to test different aspects of lenses and bodies
for shops, magazines, students or my own in the best con-
ditions…

A8100%2051D.jpg

A8381%2051D.jpg

A7612%2051D.jpg

A7683%2051D.jpg

Yes I was hoping that this would be a communal thread so we can all get ideas of different locations, and an insight into where people live and their urges to just get out of the house and practice.
Keep it local though, that's the initial idea.

What about a "sticky"? I'm not sure how that works though??? I'll edit the title if I can.

I just have a wander around Harlaw reservoir, about a 1/2 mile away.
shadows by Ken, on Flickr

Last edited:

Brilliant idea for a thread, Jason! I only hope you meant it
communal so it is ok for me to post this. If not, I will take
it down. :cool:

At just some 2 km from the studio, the marsh is my go to
place. I mainly go there to relax after of before any shoot.
I go there to give classes 3 or 4 times per week and much
shorter visits to test different aspects of lenses and bodies
for shops, magazines, students or my own in the best con-
ditions…

A8100%2051D.jpg

A8381%2051D.jpg

A7612%2051D.jpg

A7683%2051D.jpg
Love the second one stunning.

It was an old abandoned house, with furniture and other items. It had a super creepy and cool vibe. But just this week someone had spray painted "private property" on the wall of the house and I guess I am no longer welcome?

I mostly head in to Nottingham city centre. Partly because I'm not very imaginative, partly because it's easy, partly because I like people watching, and partly because I've been documenting the demolition of the Broadmarsh Car Park for a year.

I either look for photographs in my contiguous numbers series, or my 6x6 collection, or just anything I find engaging. Sometimes I find the odd gem, often I come home with lots and lots of shots of nothing. But I certainly put some miles in. If the weather's good I might walk along one of the many canals near me, or in the city centre (or indeed as happened a couple of weekends ago, walk along the canal in to the city centre).

#66 in my contiguous numbers project
#66 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

a random 6x6 in that project
6x6x26 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

and a couple of street shots I quite enjoy

Reds and Yellows by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Where you been? by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Testing the Temperature by Tony Evans, on Flickr

If you need to scratch the photography "itch" and get out of the house for a few hours and bit of photography practice, what is your local place where you enjoy going and just taking a few snaps? These are mine...
Stockton On Tees. Only about 5 miles from home, lights up nice and reflects beautifully on a still night. Called the Infinity Bridge, for obvious reasons.

And the Transporter Bridge in Middlesbrough.

They built the Infinity bridge after I left Stockton, but I saw the transporter bridge a few times. I wasn't a camera owner in those days (and it was before smartphones).

Too be honest I don't have one, I tend to go out for a special photography day when I can manage it which is not that often. As I live in a central location, my days out tend to involve a fair bit of travel, the Peaks, a coast somewhere.

Perhaps I should pick a local patch. I will give it some thought, but an area around Stony Stratford seems like a good idea. Grand Union canal, an old high street, Great Ouse running around it, a small nature reserve and the rest of Milton Keynes on its door step.

Pete

Thanks Pete, yes, much more than a motorway services (and Stoke Wood directly behind the services is lovely too). The valley itself isn't spectacular, but can be quite lovely.

Back