what kind of lighting is this?

I'd say it's flash, given that it was shot at 100 ISO and 1/125th at f/8.

Just place the light/s at angles to your subject so little light falls on the front so you get the edge or rim lighting. Then, as in this particular case, underexpose the heck out of it. (y)

The spill and falloff of the light just depends on how big the source is, and how far it is from the subject.

Do you mean the side edge of the light or the edge in terms of reach, just on the edge of flash reach?

Do you mean the side edge of the light or the edge in terms of reach, just on the edge of flash reach?

I mean light hitting the edges of your subject (relative to the camera) so light directed from the side or behind the subject. As you can see in the example you link to - the edges of her arms are highlighted, but the front (facing the camera) falls to darkness.

The 'reach' of your flash in cases such as this, is largely determined by the settings on your camera.

I think this image has been shot with 2 studio flash heads both with gridded reflectors and the height about shoulder height and to the rear right and left of the model with just a little of the light hitting the model from each light. It also looks like a little light has been reflected back into the front of the model and this could either have been from a reflector at a distance or from a darker reflector a bit closer.

Hi thanks, I am hoping to try a similar shot soon with a friend of mine having not used my studio lights much I am not that experienced with them so I just wanted to clarify what I need, apologies if it sounds like an obvious question... when you say gridded reflectors do you mean a beauty dish with grids or something else?

Hi thanks, I am hoping to try a similar shot soon with a friend of mine having not used my studio lights much I am not that experienced with them so I just wanted to clarify what I need, apologies if it sounds like an obvious question... when you say gridded reflectors do you mean a beauty dish with grids or something else?

No, I mean a reflector with a grid/honeycomb added to keep the light in a cone and stop it spreading.

Like these

I think this image has been shot with 2 studio flash heads both with gridded reflectors and the height about shoulder height and to the rear right and left of the model with just a little of the light hitting the model from each light. It also looks like a little light has been reflected back into the front of the model and this could either have been from a reflector at a distance or from a darker reflector a bit closer.

You're 100% right.

Oooh! What do I win? :LOL:

Nowt. But I've always said that if ever you were right about something I'd be the first to say so:LOL:

Back