What lens/ es do you use when out for landscapes?

Name
fred
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

As the title really, thought it would be interesting and hopefully helpful to get an idea of the lens or lens combos people use for their landscape photography. Hopefully might find out on something I'm missing out on!

On full frame I use Canon 16-35mm and 70-200mm IS. I find with this combination I can capture pretty much anything I want.
If its a particularly good location I chuck in a 50mm 1.4

Thanks, looking forward to seeing what others use!

not as rich, so have to settle with 17-40mm f4 and 24-105mm f4 IS.

24-105mm is the walk about lens. 17-40 is usually only used at 17mm. all lenses are used at f8 or smaller aperture because we are talking about landscape here.

On a full frame I'd say that the vast majority of my landscapes are with the 24-70 f2.8L, a few with the 17-40 f4L and the occasional one with the 70-200 f4L.

It's rare that I need anything wider than 24mm - the 17-40 is useful but in the 6 months I've had it I've not used it as much as I thought I would - can see that changing with some shots I have planned though.

For landscape: Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8 and my favourite wide prime.. a Samyang 35mm 1.4.. which is probably the world's best kept lens secret.

It used to be the 17-40. I just returned from a 3 week trip though where 95% of the time I was using either the 24 TSE or 100 2.8 macro...

Knew I shouldn't have started this thread - only a matter of time until I saw a lens I have always lusted over!

I know I don't need them but always lusted after the 24 TSE & Nikon 14-24!

Knew I shouldn't have started this thread - only a matter of time until I saw a lens I have always lusted over!

I know I don't need them but always lusted after the 24 TSE & Nikon 14-24!

IMHO the 24 TSE is impossible to know in advance whether you will get on with it.
No IS, no AF, no zoom and a splitting headache working out how to use it - positively Neanderthal.
What I did was buy a 2nd hand 24 TSE MkI and promised myself that if I was still using in anger after 12 months I would treat myself to the MkII.
The MkI holds its value remarkably well, don't expect to lose much in the transaction other than waiting while the right buyer comes along.
I got my MkII and love it :D

The MkI is plenty good enough to print to A3, but admittedly doesn't get the best from the the 5DII; the MkII is amazing :)
I don't regret the images I've taken with the MkI that I know could have been higher IQ taken with the MkII, the IQ is very acceptable :)

...it would be interesting and hopefully helpful to get an idea of the lens or lens combos people use for their landscape photography.
All of them! Or in another word, both
biggrin2.gif

12-24 if foreground is wanted in frame, 24-120 for panoramas...

I know I don't need them but always lusted after the 24 TSE...
The upcoming Samyang 24mm TS looks as an interesting alternative...
shifty.gif

I won't pretend that I am a master with the TSE yet, but it's a great lens even before you start tilting and shifting. I think one of the main benefits of the II (which I have) is that you can rotate the tilt and shift functions independently of each other, unlike with the I version. I just wish I could shift to control perspective whilst also shifting to create a pano.

Hi, i am new here and this is my post here:

If i just talk about digital and forgetting film which i don't use much yet and started 2 years ago, i will say those are my fav lenses in digital:

35mm format: 16-35L, 24-70L, 24-105L, for crop body 1.6x i will add 10-22.
MF format[Hasselblad for now]: HCD 28mm f4.

Using FF, I go for either my 24-70 or 12-24 Lens. But I have also caught some good landscapes using 70-200.

I often have the 24-120 f4 on as a walkabout lens and use it at the wide end if I get an unplanned landscape opportunity - if it's planned landscape I will have the 24-120 f4, 24 f1.4 and 14-24 f2.8

Anything and everything I own has at one time or another been used for landscapes, though 24mm FF or equivalent has always been my favourite.

(Nikon) 24-70 f/2.8G mostly but the 16-35 f/4 also gets a fair outing.

I own an UWA, a 12-24mm, but find I use my 17-70 much more and mainly in the 20 -25mm range...just bought a 21mm prime as I think it should be ideal for the shots I like to take

Simon

A trusty Canon 28-70mm f2.8L on digital

A Mamiya Sekor 50mm f4.5 on 6x7cm Medium format, it has the equivalent FOV of a 22-24mm lens on full frame

I'm looking to acquire a 17-40 for the 5D and a 127mm lens for the medium format soon though

Large Format - 90mm Super Angulon or 210mm
Medium Format - Mamiya 50mm Sekkor C
Full Frame - Nikon 17-35 2.8 or 28mm Ais 2.8 / 50mm and 85mm
Cropped - Sigma 10-20 / 50mm and 85mm

I generally like the wider angle lenses, but really love the perspective of the 210mm on large format.

The vast majority of the time I use the 17-40 f4L on the 5D2. If it's not the 17-40 then it's usually the 24-70.

One day I went out specifically to do nature photography and only had the 100-400 on the 7D, and was quite pleased with one of the landscapes I got through that (although it was quite a challenge controlling the flare!)...

Summer Bliss by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

Fish-Eye (15mm)

Fish-eye lenses are a lot of fun to use with landscapes. They have two unique qualities:
1. They take in a very wide angle of view often 180º
2. They have a very short focal distance allowing you to get with in inches of your subject
I read it somewhere and shared it with you!!:rules:
It might help you:cool:

I want to go full frame soon with either a D700 or a D800, but for the time being i'm using a 16-85 or a 18-70

A 17-40mm is my standard lens; it seems to do for 90% of my shots. I'm considering going to primes though.

24-105 or Samyang 14mm...

The Samyang 14mm is an absolute bargain for what it is, and will compete quite happily with any other 14mm around.

Glad this thread has been posted, usually use my 24 - 105L on my 40D for landscapes.

Was toying with the idea of acquiring a prime (of some description) for landscape work but surprised to see how many of you are using telephoto lenses.

On my 5D Mk II, it'll either be my 24-105, but when I need to go wider, I'll use my Tokina 12-24, which works from about 19mm without vignetting - really is a cracking and sharp lens and have taken some of my favourite shots with it!

On my 7D its the Tokina nearly all the time. Really do love this lens - aside from the 11-16, I think it's probably one of the best options for UWA if you shoot Canon

Ed T said:
Glad this thread has been posted, usually use my 24 - 105L on my 40D for landscapes.

Was toying with the idea of acquiring a prime (of some description) for landscape work but surprised to see how many of you are using telephoto lenses.

I suppose its the fact we're at smaller apertures, more in the zoom's sweet spot.

I'm normally around f8.

Back