What lens for an image of the moon?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am working on a project for 35mm film (so, full frame) that involves getting an image of the moon in frame.
I would like the diameter of the moon to be around 1/5 of the height of the full frame.
The longest lenses I have to hand is a 135mm. I guess that these may not give me the image size wanted
Kit zoom lenses in Pentax k mount or M42 are easy to get and inexpensive. Will a 100-300mm cover my need?

Last edited:
Hello Dave, looking through my various archive shots, I'd say 500mm is closer to what you'd need to get a 5th of the vertical frame.
Much will depend on moon's distance from earth. I use the link below for current info:

Sony 200-600mm :) @ 600mm - 300m will not cut the mustard

wi85LOq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Full frame @600mm (with a square crop)

As noted above your going to be beyond 400mm at most times for a moon shot to your specs

The moon.png

Last edited by a moderator:
ive just purchased the tamron sp 150-600 g2 not used much but it done ok on the moon

Attachments

• tamron .jpg
    tamron .jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 16
Nice images guys!
I'm not really looking to make a detailed image of the moon, rather to have the moon as an element in a different scene. It would work if the moon were to be around 1/5 of the height of the frame. The wonderful images above will be too large. As the images above are squared off full frames, then 300mm or less might suit my purpose.

Nice images guys!
I'm not really looking to make a detailed image of the moon, rather to have the moon as an element in a different scene. It would work if the moon were to be around 1/5 of the height of the frame. The wonderful images above will be too large. As the images above are squared off full frames, then 300mm or less might suit my purpose.
Give the 300mm a bash, if the moon isn't to become the main focal point then as you say it may just work, nothing to lose in trying.

If the moon will be isolated in the background (rather than silhouetted against something), you could probably make it larger in PP if necessary.

Nice images guys!

This is 150mm on MFT which is a x2 crop system so equates to 300mm on FF, it's 4:3 but may give you a clue.

5qVyyaX.jpg

Looks like 300mm wont be enough.

This is 400mm on MFT equating to 800mm FF.

a1252q2.jpg

So it looks like 300mm isn't enough and 800mm may be just a touch too much.

Last edited:
Is shooting with 300mm or whatever you can get your hands on and cropping the image to get the composition you want a possibility?

Thanks for the comparison woof woof, just info I hoped I might see.... I'll rethink my composition or maybe expanding a smaller image during pp will be enough.
I still may buy a cheap 300mm for fun, so will try this and other ideas.

Thanks to All..

If it helps at all... and you probably already know this... You may be able to find a xx-300mm manual lens for under £40 but you may be at f5.6.

Thanks for the comparison woof woof, just info I hoped I might see.... I'll rethink my composition or maybe expanding a smaller image during pp will be enough.
I still may buy a cheap 300mm for fun, so will try this and other ideas.

Thanks to All..
a 300mm prime will not be cheap :) or are you buying a 70-300mm? in which case the IQ will be terrible at 300mm

Les

Back