What lens upgrade for Nikon D5000 ?

Edit My Images
Yes
After getting my D5000 last week i'm looking to get another lens to use beside my 18-55 kit lens

i've been thinking along the lines of a 55-200 or 70-300, i'll be taking pictures of various thing from motorsport to landscape and playing about with some macro shots aswell, would need to have the motor built into the lens and be able to auto focus with my camera

i'm not looking for anything special just something more of a starter as i'm still learning so it will take me a while to get the most out of any lens anyway, if i get on with it then i'll upgrade to a better lens further down the line

would happily buy second hand (prefered to keep the costs down as much as possible)

any suggestions to help me out ? the main ones i've spotted so far are the tamron lenses, i just need to dig deeper to find out what ones will fit autofocus with the D5000

(y)

the nikon 70-300vr is a well respected lens and really sharp. Tamron get rather mixed reviews and you should be able to get one quite cheaply second hand (for a reason.....)

cheers mate, yeh i do like the look of the Nikon 70-300vr but it's a bit more than i'm looking to spend atm

the Tamron 70-300 i've found for £125 delivered and would fit into my budget, might keep my eyes open for a second hand one

as i said i'm not looking or expecting an all singing/dancing lens for the money i'm spending but it's more a lens to learn with

have alook at the Sigma 70-300
but make sure it's the APO lens version..."here"

if 55-200 will do you CEX currently have to buy online the VR 55-200 £115 delivered and the Sigma 55-200 DC HSM at a barginus £75 delivered. I have the Sig myself and its dead quite and pretty darn quick to focus, the VR might be worth the extra if your a little shaky handheld.

http://www.cex.co.uk/search/index.php?stext=nikon+55-200&ispostback=1&mode=buy

Can get a brand new one here for just under £20 more with a 2 year warranty..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-AF-55-2...Filters_JN&hash=item4aa1d17176#ht_2466wt_1112

cheers gents thats exactly the sort of price i was looking at, just need to decide whether it better to go for the 55-200 or 70-300

I've just moved upfrom the Nikon 55-200 VR to a 70-300 VR (c'mon nxt week!) and the 55-200 is an awesome lens, just a tad too short for me. Its really sharp, the AF is excellent and VR works a treat. :)

cheers gents thats exactly the sort of price i was looking at, just need to decide whether it better to go for the 55-200 or 70-300

If you mean the Nikon 70-300VR....get that!! Brilliant lens and way better than the 55-200! You wont be sorry(y)

for my price range i reckon it will be between a Tamron 70-300 or a Nikon 55-200VR, would love to get the Nikon 70-300VR but it's more than i can justify spending right now after just buying the camera lol

i know the Nikon lens is better but i'm just not sure if i'll regret not having that bit extra that the Tamron has

i'll need to have a look and see if i can find some photo comparisons

for my price range i reckon it will be between a Tamron 70-300 or a Nikon 55-200VR, would love to get the Nikon 70-300VR but it's more than i can justify spending right now after just buying the camera lol

i know the Nikon lens is better but i'm just not sure if i'll regret not having that bit extra that the Tamron has

i'll need to have a look and see if i can find some photo comparisons

have you thought about partnering the Nikon 55-200VR with a Kenko Tel Pro 300 1.4DG that should push the range up a bit and still a lot cheaper than the Nikon 70-300VR.

not a Sigma fan then.....................:shrug:

haha sorry mate for some reason i completely missed your post, that lens looks good

looks like it's between 3 now (y)

will just need to see if a second hand lens comes up at a decent price rather than buying new

whats the general thoughts between the sigma 70-300 and the tamron 70-300 ?

Last edited:

cannot quote you the exact threads but overall I get the impression the Sigma APO version is better than Tamron

unless you really need 300mm - I would get the 55-200 *VR* Nikon

I've read both the Tam and the Sig get soft after 250mm so you'll not gain much over the Nikon - which has better resale value and VR

The nikon 55-200 is a nice lightweight budget lens. I don't think the sigma 70-300 sits well on a d5000.

I've used both, and the sigma was sharper towards the long end. Mind you, might have just been a duff copy of the tamron. I also heard someone on here complaining about purple fringing on a tamron 70-300 not so long ago, might be something to look in to? Try and cross reference as much as you can really, because there are people who get the occasional "unlucky copy".

The best of the three would be the Nikon, retains value for resale too, so if for any reason you don't get on with it (which I doubt) you could just sell it again for a small loss.

i got the tamron 70-300 in the bundle from jessops when i got he d5000.. its a great lens.

im looking at a 70-200 or 35mm next.

it is an APO version - which is good IQ

it is NOT the HSM version so will not auto-focus on a D5000

thanks for that mate, will need to try and have a look out for the HSM version then, not seen one anywhere yet

I have the sigma 70-300 apo with motor.
Only arrived on Sat (after having to return the one sent earlier in the week cos the supplier sent me a canon fit :bang::bang:) after I left for the day, so it has not had a proper outing yet due to weather yesterday but first plays and it looks pretty good so far. Not top end IQ but it was not top end money.

It is quite heavy on my D40, it being such a light camera - like your d5000, and I dont think I will be handholding it much at the longer end. Monopod/tripod for stability FTW.

If you do get the sigma, as yardbent has said make sure it is the APO version with the motor.

Tony

dotcomjohnny - whats LCE ?

cheers for that Tony thats a great help, one of my pals has the tamron 70-300 so going to see if i can borrow that for a day or 2 and see how i can get on with it, i know that and the Sigma won't be top quality but as said for the price that can't be expected, i'm more looking for something that will do me for now and i can learn with and then possibly move up to say a Nikon 55-200VR or 70-300VR down the line

hmm.... after a quick search i've had second thoughts about ordering from camerabox !

This is a wise move:)

Can't help with the other mob- as a cynic I'm unconvinced but they may be fine. I'd recommend using camerapricebuster.com and take it from there.

cheers mate, yeh after a bit of scouting about they are both a lot cheaper brand new than the rest so i'm taking the ground that it's 'too good to be true'

spotted an 'as new' one on ffordes but dont know if it will come with any covers or if it's just the bare lens

Last edited:
Is this lens ideal for most photography, for a noob? I'm looking at buying the D5000 (with kit lens) and want a lens I could use for long zooms and macro as well. After the cost of the camera I'm looking to spend as little as possible while I'm still learning.

it is a good all-round focal length

but as was recommended above

1...if buying the Sigma, the APO version is better
identified by a red ring round the top of the barrel
[and be sure to get the HSM model to auto-focus on the D5000]

2...unless you are really keen on 300mm - get the Nikon 55-200 AF-S "VR"

I had the tamron 70-300mm that came with my d5000 kit. I've sold it now!!! it spent more time hunting with the auto-focus I kept missing shots, and very noisy motor.

going to go with the nikon 55-200 instead.

it is a good all-round focal length

but as was recommended above

1...if buying the Sigma, the APO version is better
identified by a red ring round the top of the barrel
[and be sure to get the HSM model to auto-focus on the D5000]

2...unless you are really keen on 300mm - get the Nikon 55-200 AF-S "VR"

Thanks...how much does the 300mm zoom in by, would I really need it for photographing animals, landscape, family and some motorsport? Also what is APO?

Is this the right 55-200 lens if I got that one - Link

Thanks...how much does the 300mm zoom in by, would I really need it for photographing animals, landscape, family and some motorsport? Also what is APO?

Is this the right 55-200 lens if I got that one - Link

1... the 300mm is ok for starting I think
if you progress later to real wildlife and motorsport, you will want an even longer lens 400 or 600mm - not my area so please get advise elsewhere

the APO is a Sigma lens designation to do with coatings I think - but everyone who has a Sigma says the APO version is better

2...yes that's the Nikon 55-200 AF-S VR
search the posts as another recently got on from "kerso" [ an advertiser here] for £132 and better to deal with him than Amazon IMO

the 70-300mm VR is nikons prosumer telephoto in which its better than the budget models (such as the nikon 55-200mm and the tamron/sigma 70-300mm) but not as good as the 70-200mm f2.8 variant. in my opinion the 70-300mm seems a excellent lens but if you don't want to spend a fortune then the 55-200mm is actually a gem of a lens.

Back