What makes a professional photographer?

I'm gonna go with Wiki's defenition...

'A photographer is a person who takes photographs using a camera. A professional photographer uses photography to make a living while amateur photographers take photographs for pleasure and to record an event, place or person.'

I don't think being good is a proviso for being a pro tog...;)

I'm gonna go with Wiki's defenition...

'A photographer is a person who takes photographs using a camera. A professional photographer uses photography to make a living while amateur photographers take photographs for pleasure and to record an event, place or person.'

I don't think being good is a proviso for being a pro tog...;)

If that's the case I must be semi professional LOL

i'll add my 2p

it can be someone that makes the majority or all of their income from photography but this doesn't mean that someone will conduct themselves in a professional manner or produce quality results

being a professional isn't just about the kit you own or the level of the photos you take it's about being able to generate an income from your photos

whether they're good or bad :)

Touchy subject!!! :). My take? Who cares. If you make money from it, then good on you. Just enjoy it, regardless :)

Gary.
Sent from iPhone.

Ha guys :D

for the record it's to explain typos etc, not thar the Jesus phone gets many :D

Gary.
Sent from iPhone, again ! :D

an amateur photographer is someone who reads "amateur photographer" :p

sent from some sony laptop whilst cooking pasta in the kitchen :D

Pro snapper = it's your job

snapper = it's your passion

no prizes for working out which is the more noble enterprise.

Ah well - me four!

As a sideline what makes an 'amateur' photographer then ;)?

A good question... what separates an amateur from someone who snaps their friends on nights out?

Now normally, I'd suggest the usual concentration on composition, depth of field etc.. however, these are different between people's own styles... would someone who pays no attention to these not be classed as an amateur, as they are not set in stone, do or die, rules?

Discuss.. :p

Still sent from Macbook (of the black variety)

Simple definition is you make money from it. :shrug:

For me, there's a bit more to it than that. Think of 'the professions' and what we expect of them - a professional approach to what they do, how they conduct themselves, and knowledge of their subject.

If the simple definition is getting paid then you can be a professional shelf stacker.

More importantly, why are you asking the question and why is it important to you?

A good question... what separates an amateur from someone who snaps their friends on nights out?

Now normally, I'd suggest the usual concentration on composition, depth of field etc.. however, these are different between people's own styles... would someone who pays no attention to these not be classed as an amateur, as they are not set in stone, do or die, rules?

Discuss.. :p

Still sent from Macbook (of the black variety)

Maybe this says it all:

From the Latin "amator: lover, devoted friend, devotee, enthusiastic pursuer of an objective"

Us amateurs do it for the love of it :D

no prizes for working out which is the more noble enterprise.

dazza, you've nailed it there. That is a good answer. I take pictures for pleaseure and for profit.

And the ones I take for pleasure largely are better quality, more arty and more keepable than the ones I do for work.

Maybe this says it all:

From the Latin "amator: lover, devoted friend, devotee, enthusiastic pursuer of an objective"

Us amateurs do it for the love of it :D

If you could see some of my female friends Facebook pages, you could see that they love doing it too :LOL: Some of them have over 1,000 tagged photos of them?!

'Amateur 'is a much misunderstood word. As pointeds out, it literally means for the love of it, and implies nothing whatsoever about the abilities of the person.

'Amateur 'is a much misunderstood word. As pointeds out, it literally means for the love of it, and implies nothing whatsoever about the abilities of the person.

How dare you! I'm an amateur and I'm crap! Oh wait... :thinking:

:LOL:

True enough although 'amateurish' is now used in a derogatory manner I guess.

so I am a pro snapper, snapper ? Its my job and my passion....

sent from destop PC

I earn a living by taking photographs and have done so for some years, but do not consider myself a true Professional Photographer - since the Army pays me the same whether I take photos or not...

Next December, when they kick me out on the street, then I'll be a Professional Photographer (unemployed)...lol

Pro snapper - makes money from photography, and shoots things to forfill another persons order. Hence, last week I was shooting cleaning products, next week a wedding. Neither event would I shoot for pleasure

However, professional used in the above terminology has nothing to do with professionalism, which is the other meaning of the word

Another good definition is

"can turn up and get the shot in the bag, every time" Amateurs don't have the motivation or consequences of "not bagging the shot"

"can turn up and get the shot in the bag, every time" Amateurs don't have the motivation or consequences of "not bagging the shot"

Financial motivation, of course. However, I would be MUCH more motivated to bag an exceptional landscape shot than I would a family portrait. One requires more motivation (imo), and the other is far easier, with 75% of the motivation being financial gain.

Gary.

Bugger the debate, I'm lusting after Phil's black Macbook!

Sent from a Dell Studio laptop that weighs a ton!

A though has occurred... rare I knoow, aren't you all stunned?!

Isn't it funny how some "pastime/activities" for want of better words have the terms amatuer and professional preceed them, yet others don't.

Photographer is a good example of this,

However, take Engineer. You can, and I know people that do, have machine shops set up at home, where they work on lathes etc etc. They build models, and generally potter around designing & building bits and pieces. Society wouldn't call them an Amateur Engineer though! Sam as I am a Qualified Mechanical Design Engineer and do just that as my job. I am a Mechanical Design Engineer, not a Professional Mechanical Design Engineer, nor are there Amateurs!!

A silly thought in some respects, but it leads me to think that your either a Photographer, or your not. Preceeding statuses are potentially meaningless!

A professional photographer is usually derogatory about amateurs (a 'Womble' is the term I used to use).

I am now proudly a Womble, as I got fed up getting cold/wet/threatened/speeding tickets/crap pay.

Better photographer now than then too! :thinking:

I have never heard the above before.also, whilst there has been some debate and tension on the forums recently, I'm sure a lot of "Pros" on here will object to your sweeping statment. I for one have had a lot of help from "Pros" on here.

A though has occurred... rare I knoow, aren't you all stunned?!

Isn't it funny how some "pastime/activities" for want of better words have the terms amatuer and professional preceed them, yet others don't.

Photographer is a good example of this,

However, take Engineer. You can, and I know people that do, have machine shops set up at home, where they work on lathes etc etc. They build models, and generally potter around designing & building bits and pieces. Society wouldn't call them an Amateur Engineer though! Sam as I am a Qualified Mechanical Design Engineer and do just that as my job. I am a Mechanical Design Engineer, not a Professional Mechanical Design Engineer, nor are there Amateurs!!

A silly thought in some respects, but it leads me to think that your either a Photographer, or your not. Preceeding statuses are potentially meaningless!

Very good point maybe the differentiator is simply 'Paid' or 'Unpaid' :)

Very good point maybe the differentiator is simply 'Paid' or 'Unpaid' :)

Cheers Dark Star. The thought hit me on the drive into work this morning. Its really interesting, (or at least to me, but I am often told I think too much!!) to look at where else the whole Pro/Am labelling does and and doesn't occur.

Cheers Dark Star. The thought hit me on the drive into work this morning. Its really interesting, (or at least to me, but I am often told I think too much!!) to look at where else the whole Pro/Am labelling does and and doesn't occur.

That thought occured to me also when I raised the 'amateur' point.

I play guitar but don't call myself an amateur guitarist :)

But I'll quite happily indentify myself as an amateur photographer

(Although I have been paid before for doing both of those things* - so maybe I'm a semi-pro or semi-am :D)

*No, not at the same time ;)

To me there's a big difference between being Professional in a job and just earning your wage from said job. Traditionally, "The Professions" were things like Law, Medicine and so on, that had recognised qualifications and codes of professional practice - you know - the things that mean one Doctor never seems to openly criticise another :LOL: You also usually spent a good 5+ years working for peanuts for fully-qualified members to get the experience and grounding necessary in the field to allow you to be able to work through the examinations. I've not done that (as a 'togger) , so, i'd never call myself a Professional Photographer - I may, at a stretch call myself a freelance Photographer or self-employed Photographer, but that's as far as i'd push it.

so pro = paid ,amateur = unpaid
what if someone has just made a deposit in the sperm bank would they be a proffesional W***** well you no what i was going to say ;)

Back