What memory card should I use

Name
Hannah
Edit My Images
No
Hello, I'm completely new to cameras and photography and have recently got a new camera. I got the canon eos 400d. I have been really confused on what memory card to get for it. I bought the sandisk ultra plus SDXC UHS-I card, and I'm wondering if anyone know if it's compatible with my camera before I open it and lose the opportunity to get a refund if it's the wrong one.

Wecome to TP Hannah

You need a Compact Flash card (NOT CF Express or CFast) for the 400d - I wasn't too sure when the **0D line went from CF to SD (it was 450d) as some of the older cameras that take SD won't work with newer SDXC cards (unless it has had a firmware update)....

There should be plenty of CF cards for sale as technology means new cameras use CFast, SDXC UHS-II or CFExpress...

Last edited:
I’ve just found a manual and it says it takes CF cards so your SD won’t be compatible.

The 400d used a CF card if I remember rightly. I doubt you need a high spec one as the files are not that large and it doesnt do video from my menory.

I us Sandisk extreme CF card in my 30d which has similar spec to the 400d (which is a few months newer) and the 30d has a faster frame rate, not had any issues.

Hi and welcome to TP

FWIW I no longer use CF cards (sold my Canon gear a few years back) and IIRC I have some SanDisk Ultra (which used at the start of my Canon journey) and some SanDisk Extreme (Pros ?) that I used in my Canon 5D MK3.

I will have a sort through and could pop a couple(?) in the post for you if you wish?

Last edited:
CF card specs have changed over time - the newer ones are marked UDMA and of high capacity. If you could look around for 8GB cards Ultra/Extreme then they will most probably work ok,

Couple of things worth noting on the memory card. First is the size of the memory card as in GB (Example 16 gb).
Second is the MB/s on the card, this is the speed of the card as to transfer rate from camera to card to computer. (example 60 MB's) . the higher the number the faster the card. be careful of getting a card with a slow MB/s because if taking several photos in a continuous stream (machine gunnning) the camera will stall while the card cartches up (buffering) .

something like this should get you started from a reputable well known company, there are a lot of fakes on the market.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TP

FWIW I no longer use CF cards (sold my Canon gear a few years back) and IIRC I have some SanDisk Ultra (which used at the start of my Canon journey) and some SanDisk Extreme (Pros ?) that I used in my Canon 5D MK3.

I will have a sort through and could pop a couple(?) in the post for you if you wish?
That's very kind of you but I couldn't put you out like that, I'm happy to buy my own now that I know what I'm getting, but thank you!

That's very kind of you but I couldn't put you out like that, I'm happy to buy my own now that I know what I'm getting, but thank you!
You're welcome and I hope you find your photography journey an enjoyable and fulfilling one.

Here at TP there are, as you may have already found, various sub-fora including one for Beginners, so do get involved as this forum if great resource for all levels of knowledge and experience.

PS to aid your initial learning about the 400D don't forget the Canon support pages where you can download the manual.

Last edited:
Which brand! Don't know that there is a good answer to that. I'd get what ever I could find to start out and if there's something you don't like, get a different brand. There's nothing wrong with Canon cameras but some people simply prefer a different brand. Probably you'd get along with pretty much what ever brand you chose!

Hi and welcome to TP

I was about to say similar

Couple of things worth noting on the memory card. First is the size of the memory card as in GB (Example 16 gb).
Second is the MB/s on the card, this is the speed of the card as to transfer rate from camera to card to computer. (example 60 MB's) . the higher the number the faster the card. be careful of getting a card with a slow MB/s because if taking several photos in a continuous stream (machine gunnning) the camera will stall while the card cartches up (buffering) .

something like this should get you started from a reputable well known company, there are a lot of fakes on the market.
thank you so much for the your help, I've ordered this one

I presume you also have a card reader to put the CF card into

Last edited:
Back