What on Earth has happened to this ID-11?!

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, So I am just about to dev a film. I take my box of dev bits and bobs out from under the bed, and notice that the cardboard packs of ID-11 are a little out of shape... larger than normal if you will. I open them up to find that the part B sachets are bulging to the point of almost bursting! The cardboard boxes were still sealed and so couldn't have been damaged... The house has stayed relatively cool, and the out of direct sun, and well, any light for that matter!

photo-3.jpg

I bought them through work, so can easily get a refund for them if this is deemed "wrong!". Obviously they are still sealed otherwise the pressure would have escaped, so I am guessing this is unusual?

Any advice would be much appreciated :D (y)

(sorry, resizing image atm, will replace asap - Done)

Last edited:
Never seen that before, to be honest, but i'd not be happy using it :shrug:

Just checked my box of powders to make up 5 litres and they're totally flat. However I'm somewhat exercised that Part A is a tiny packet rather like the 1 litre kit and Part B is much larger. Anyone know if this is normal?
Never come across blown packets like yours before.

I would say the best thing would be to get that refund and replace them. Never seen anything like it before but I wouldn't chance my photos to them.

id say runaway fast ,,,they look like they're gonna blow :D
i use id 11 a fair bit and like the others ive never seen that ,,,maybe there was some ( moisture ? ) in it when it was sealed and its had a reaction of some sort .anyway im waiting to see the pinhole pics

Give Ilford a ring, they'll know for sure.

Ahh many thanks for the replies! I think I'll take it back and get a refund. I have some rodinal waiting to be used, I just wanted to use up my stock of ID-11 first. I guess I'll be on the rodainal quicker than I thought.

I shall indeed contact Ilford and APUG and see if they know what the score is. Once I know, I'll post it back here fyi :)

Anyways! My pinhole film is fixing right now. Just drying then scanning time!

Yep, that'll do it! I got a refund through Jessops no drama.

It was postulated that moisture was the culprit on APUG, and this obviously confirms it.

Thanks for the link chap :)

Back