What one of my memory cards took the corrupt image? Help

Name
stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there a way to link an image to a particular card. For example I have taken a shot on one of two 16gb cards . One is a 120mbs card and the other is 60mbs. Is there a way to see in the metadata which card took the shot ?
The image in question is corrupt so I want to bin the card but if I dont know the card I will have to bin both.

I'm presuming you have wiped the cards before realising this? If so can you try recovery software on the cards to find the culprit.

There may be a much easier way but if not, worth a try.

Would it be possible to take a series of random shots on each card and see if the problem repeats itself?

I'm presuming you have wiped the cards before realising this? If so can you try recovery software on the cards to find the culprit.

There may be a much easier way but if not, worth a try.
It was 8 weddings ago :-( now as I'm only editing the wedding have I spotted 2 corrupt files. It hasn't done it again but I still don't want to take a chance

I don't know of a way to tell which card but if they are being used for commercial work and bearing in mind the cost I would replace them both. :)

Reactions: Nod
I don't know of a way to tell which card but if they are being used for commercial work and bearing in mind the cost I would replace them both. :)

Indeed, order placed an hour ago.

so i take it the card spec info wouldnt be anywhere in the metadata then?

Would it be possible to take a series of random shots on each card and see if the problem repeats itself?
A lot of modern cards use wear levelling technology; writes are evenly distributed over the card so that the bits at the beginning don't wear out, so the shots you take next time will all be in different places on the card to the shots you took last time They may also map out faulty sections, replacing them with reserve memory blocks, so problems can disappear. It's possible you could fill both cards with test images and not find any corruption, even if the original problem was due to a card error.

A lot of modern cards use wear levelling technology; writes are evenly distributed over the card so that the bits at the beginning don't wear out, so the shots you take next time will all be in different places on the card to the shots you took last time They may also map out faulty sections, replacing them with reserve memory blocks, so problems can disappear. It's possible you could fill both cards with test images and not find any corruption, even if the original problem was due to a card error.
That's would I've found . I've shot 8 weddings with the card since and all has been fine . Though had I know sooner there is no way I would have used the cards .

Is there a way to link an image to a particular card. For example I have taken a shot on one of two 16gb cards . One is a 120mbs card and the other is 60mbs. Is there a way to see in the metadata which card took the shot ?
The image in question is corrupt so I want to bin the card but if I dont know the card I will have to bin both.

What makes you sure it is the memory card?

Anything could have done it. For example, turning off the camera before the camera had a chance to save the file, pulling the card out while it was in use, transfer using USB cable but turning off the camera before transfer is complete, if using a card reader, yanking out the card before the transfer is complete, etc, etc.,

But if you think it is the card, as far as I can tell, I don't think you can find out which card it was from.

What makes you sure it is the memory card?

Anything could have done it. For example, turning off the camera before the camera had a chance to save the file, pulling the card out while it was in use, transfer using USB cable but turning off the camera before transfer is complete, if using a card reader, yanking out the card before the transfer is complete, etc, etc.,

But if you think it is the card, as far as I can tell, I don't think you can find out which card it was from.
I know it was none of the above so I suppose all I can blame is the card or a camera fault (hopefully not rhe camera)

Back