What photo editing software?

Edit My Images
No
Hi I want to get photoshop to start editing my photos but I don't have a clue what to get as there seems to be so many options. I don't shoot in raw yet so don't know if this makes a difference in what software to get. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Henrydog,

your best bet is to go for either Adobe Lightroom 4 or Elements 11. My preference would be for Elements as you can do more in the way of actual "editing" but Lightroom is better for cataloguing your images.

Andy

Hi, you can download trials of most software for photo editing, each has it's own little quirks (for want of a better word) not everyone uses Adobe so don't be blinded by that ADOBE sign. In saying that I have Lightroom 4 and CS 5 but since getting Lightroom 4 I hardly ever go to CS5, as stated before PSE 11 is a good starting point but if you can find both L/R 4 and PSE 11 at a good price I would go for both.
Now the other statement you make "don't shoot in raw":puke: If you go for either the two L/r 4 or PSE 11 please do shoot in RAW I no it takes up more space on the card/s but they are very cheap nowadays.
Russ

If you're nit shooting raw. GIMP is free and very similar to Photoshop.
I personally love LR4.
I have cs5 also, but only use it for complex editing and it is a very steep learning curve. The main thing I love about both GIMP and cs5 is cloning and masking, it can be unbelievable lie ably accurate.

As said download them all for free trials (gimp is free full stop) and see what you get on with best.
Then use web to follow video tutorials, like at adobe, lightroomkillertips and julieanne lost web sites.
Good luck.

When I bought a new pc I found that I'd lost my CS2 box and everything in it and Adobe refused to help :razz: so I had to look for something new. I tried to make do with Elements but I got frustrated by the reliance on auto corrections I had no control over. Lightroom frustrated me too as to me it looked like a filing and cataloguing suit with photo processing tagged on as an afterthought. I know that many people like it but I didn't like it and ended up with CS5.

If/when my CS5 stops working I'll probably look for a cheaper option and in fact I think I'd start by Googling "free photo processing software" and seeing what's available.

Years ago I used to use Raw Shooter Essentials and it did a good job with my 20D files. Another that I used regularly is Rawtherapee.

GIMP is an open source imaging package that is similar to Photoshop. There are loads of online video tutorials for it. It can do everything from straightening horizons and cropping to full on airbrushing.

As it's open source, there a loads of free plugins for it too.

What is your main aim, editing images or post processing? How much are you prepared to spend?
Lightroom 4 by Adobe is a brilliant piece of software for cataloguing and post processing. Go to something like http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-s...-want-to-know/ to get an overview. From there you can search out a specific tutorials by someone like Julieanne Kost who is a pleasure to listen to. LR4 will never corrupt or lose your originals as can happen in iPhoto. The PP is very professional but needs a bit of dedicated study to get the best from it. Remember the old adage, "Nothing is free and you get what you pay for!"

I dont know what brand of camera you have but if its Canon you can get some free software such as Digital Professional Photo.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 is the best for any starter and theres lots of tutorials online and its fairly easy to understand.

Since getting LR4 i have never used PS CS5 for ages,love LR4.:)(y)

Since getting LR4 i have never used PS CS5 for ages,love LR4.:)(y)
+1 (y)

I'm hoping the next version of LR will have better clone/heal than the current limited Spot Removal tool, for the infrequent times I need it, then I probably wouldn't need PS at all.

Another vote for Lightroom 4

I must be the only one who hated it :D It took me a while to actually find the photo editing bits in it.

CS5 seems much more obviously photo processing orientated to me. I suppose it must just be that it suits my brain :puke: :D

Another +1 for Lightroom, I use it for 99.9% of my work and that .1% that i use Photoshop is very painful lol but then again ive never been a fan of PS before i got LR i used to use Paint Shop Pro instead of PS, i just find everything so long winded in PS, I think LR is the only bit of Adobe software i actually enjoy using as i cant stand Premier for video work either and have always used Sony Vegas lol.

I must be the only one who hated it :D It took me a while to actually find the photo editing bits in it.

CS5 seems much more obviously photo processing orientated to me. I suppose it must just be that it suits my brain :puke: :D

Of course you should do whatever suits you best. I suggest perhaps there is often confusion between "editing" and "post processing". If someone wants to go in and radically change what the camera has recorded, to make in effect a different image, then CS5 or a similar package will give you the means. However if you want to concentrate on developing the original without altering the basic content or message of the image, LR4 is far and away easier to use and faster at file management.
My preference is to aim for a good image in the camera and keep PP to a minimum. Good photography is one thing and Photoshop art work is another. After all, they say you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear! A lot of my stuff is still at the "pig's ear" stage:)

Elements 9 for me. Does everything I need.

Tried L.R. & didn't get on with it.

However if you want to concentrate on developing the original without altering the basic content or message of the image, LR4 is far and away easier to use and faster at file management...

It is very popular and I may give it another go at some point but when I looked at it I honestly had problems even finding the photo editing part of it which just seemed to be buried in a corner by the file management and filing thing.

It is very popular and I may give it another go at some point but when I looked at it I honestly had problems even finding the photo editing part of it which just seemed to be buried in a corner by the file management and filing thing.
Maybe you are just too old now.:LOL::p:wave:

its very configurable to your own preferences. I only have the Library module and Develop module on view.
There are loads of good learning videos here

FastStone it's free. It's perfect for normal editing for photographers. If you want Image manipulation then Adobe products (completely over rated IMO) are best, but make sure you have lots of time on your hands to be fart arsing around on a computer. Otherwise go and take photos and use Faststone to edit them.:)

I use Elements 6.
I just tried the free trial of the latest Lightroom but it doesn't offer what I want in terms of PP (and perhaps there's an element of old dog and new tricks)

Why such an old version of Elements?
1- It does everything I need and more
2- It's well developed and stable, all the bugs have been ironed out
3- It doesn't need massive computing power
4- It can be bought on Amazon for under £10
5- It's been around a while so there lots of books and online videos to help you get the most out of it

I've only used LR4 a little but have found it pretty good. Still got a lot to learn but I'm getting there.

Can't turn down a free trail either! ;)

CS5 and LR4.3 :)

+1 (y)

I'm hoping the next version of LR will have better clone/heal than the current limited Spot Removal tool, for the infrequent times I need it, then I probably wouldn't need PS at all.

Think we should have a POLL to see what user would like to see in the next Lightroom release? Me!! Wide angle adaptive filter:)

Without knowing what camera you are using and as you say you are not working in raw, then it sounds like you should start with any of the freebies advised to you in abundance. Also take into account that the processing power of your computer becomes a significant factor when it comes to handling large raw and video files. It's not just memory capacity for large raw files but also the speed in GHz, especially for video.
Better to start with a freebie and take it from there depending how basic are your camera and computer.

The Photo Editing part is the Develop Module - just hit the D key and it takes you there. Hit the G key to go back to the Library module in Grid View.

Neat thing is if you have an image selected in the Library Module and hit D, it loads up the Develop Module with that image ready to edit (y)

Or, the modules are listed in left to right workflow order along the top black bar, and you can just click on them.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has given me some advice. I'll look in to all suggestions. Thanks

I have cs5 also, but only use it for complex editing and it is a very steep learning curve.
Good luck.

I have cs6 and it's really easy to use. I've heard there isn't much difference between the two and I didn't notice any "steep" learning curve. I'm not particularly good with image editing either, it was just a lot of trial and error, but there are so many books, or guides online you can learn the tools you need rather simply. At least IMHO.

another shout for Lightroom 4 its a massive tool hardly used photoshop since buying it

Lightroom was a revelation for me :) love it! Don't really use much of the organisation/publishing side of it but just for simple processing of raw images.

Back