What Should My Next Camera Be?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I find myself without a camera so need to get a new one. I’ve been bitten on the bum buying second hand so it’ll have to be new this time and the wallet will take a thrashing.

I’ve only ever used Nikon so I’m comfortable with them but not bothered if I go to another ecosystem. I only have a Nikon AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens and a couple of batteries at the moment so wouldn’t be a wrench to move to Canon, Sony etc.

I’m an enthusiastic amateur who takes mainly landscape photos and a few of my cats. I might have a stab at wildlife as I’ve discovered a nature park nearby but it isn’t really a consideration.

I’m sat here on the Nikon site with a Z7, 24-70 lens, FTZ adaptor and memory card in the shopping cart for £2900. The Z7 is massively over and above what I need but whatever I buy next is probably the last camera I’ll ever buy and I like the idea of the extra megapixels and having the hardware I can “grow into”.

I’ve looked at the D850 but the price of the body alone is £2800 so for the same money I might as well get a lens, card etc and also be in the future tech that is still getting updates. (I know I could get the D850 from a grey import but they don’t have much stock of anything right now). I’m also not too keen on the weight of the D850 - I found the 750 quite heavy on the only full day I got to use it before it blew up.

The Z5 is a consideration but I would quite like a screen on top of the camera too but isn’t a deal breaker. The Z6/Z6 II is pretty much out of stock everywhere and the very few places that do have them are very pricy.

The above probably sounds really fussy and I think I’ve talked myself into the Z7 for the sharpness, size of images etc but would love other options or opinions!

I'm quite fortunate that I've got a few systems - and currently have the Z kit and the Canon R5. I bought a Z6 last month but decided not to keep it as I've got the ZFC too. Nikon have great handling, they handle a ton better than the R5, but as I've got so many Canon lens, I decided to list the Z6. I genuinely don't think you'd be disappointed. I'm in the north west, and you've very welcome to have a try and see what you think.

Seems like buying an anti-aircraft gun to down a sparrow :)

I would say some time looking at other options, rejecting what you don't like and shortlisting what you like would be well spent

Hi,

I find myself without a camera so need to get a new one. I’ve been bitten on the bum buying second hand so it’ll have to be new this time and the wallet will take a thrashing.

I’ve only ever used Nikon so I’m comfortable with them but not bothered if I go to another ecosystem. I only have a Nikon AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens and a couple of batteries at the moment so wouldn’t be a wrench to move to Canon, Sony etc.

I’m an enthusiastic amateur who takes mainly landscape photos and a few of my cats. I might have a stab at wildlife as I’ve discovered a nature park nearby but it isn’t really a consideration.

I’m sat here on the Nikon site with a Z7, 24-70 lens, FTZ adaptor and memory card in the shopping cart for £2900. The Z7 is massively over and above what I need but whatever I buy next is probably the last camera I’ll ever buy and I like the idea of the extra megapixels and having the hardware I can “grow into”.

I’ve looked at the D850 but the price of the body alone is £2800 so for the same money I might as well get a lens, card etc and also be in the future tech that is still getting updates. (I know I could get the D850 from a grey import but they don’t have much stock of anything right now). I’m also not too keen on the weight of the D850 - I found the 750 quite heavy on the only full day I got to use it before it blew up.

The Z5 is a consideration but I would quite like a screen on top of the camera too but isn’t a deal breaker. The Z6/Z6 II is pretty much out of stock everywhere and the very few places that do have them are very pricy.

The above probably sounds really fussy and I think I’ve talked myself into the Z7 for the sharpness, size of images etc but would love other options or opinions!
Being as you’re more or less starting from scratch I’d suggest having a think what lenses you might want in the future, seeing which systems have them and their cost etc. Also try a few and see which you like the best.

Of the mirrorless systems I prefer the handling of the Nikon Z6/7 but Sony have more and better versions of the lenses I want so am in the Sony camp. Having blackout free shooting now I could never go back, but this isn’t important for landscapes.

If you go for Nikon it’s worth considering the version II’s.

The Canon R might fit the bill.

It sounds like you have already narrowed down your choices but as I know nothing about Nikons I’ll leave it to others.

If it is not too painful what was the issue with your used purchase? Was it a private sale or from well known seller?

I find it helps to think about the end product, the picture, and work back from that to decide the settings and the kit you need. I suppose thinking about how big a picture you want either in print or on screen and if you're going to crop or not and how good the focus system needs to be are good starting points and then there's the focal length and aperture and how much bulk and weight you'll put up with and what system actually has the kit you'd like to buy at a price you're willing to pay.

Looking at needs honestly is one thing but it may be difficult to resist the gas of mp counts and big apertures.

Good luck choosing :D

For what you are shooting it sounds like to dont need the best brand for the job so I'd go with what you know but go into store and try them all out and pick the one you want to pick up and use the most, the one thatll be an extension of your body. If you are dropping that kind of cash then even renting all systems over a couple of months will give you some real world experience of what you like.

I got an xt30 at a bargain black friday price years ago and because it had everything the xt3 did perhaps missing 1/8000 i thought it would be the same. But its far too small for myself and my next Fuji will be the xt5/h-x2 for a chunkier more comfortable fit

Being as you’re more or less starting from scratch I’d suggest having a think what lenses you might want in the future, seeing which systems have them and their cost etc. Also try a few and see which you like the best.

Of the mirrorless systems I prefer the handling of the Nikon Z6/7 but Sony have more and better versions of the lenses I want so am in the Sony camp. Having blackout free shooting now I could never go back, but this isn’t important for landscapes.

If you go for Nikon it’s worth considering the version II’s.
Good advice. From what I can tell the Z lenses will do what I need and I like the idea of being able to use older F lenses with the adaptor.

Had a look at the II's but low/no stock is a barrier plus I can't quite stretch to them price wise.

For what you are shooting it sounds like to dont need the best brand for the job so I'd go with what you know but go into store and try them all out and pick the one you want to pick up and use the most, the one thatll be an extension of your body. If you are dropping that kind of cash then even renting all systems over a couple of months will give you some real world experience of what you like.

Good point, didn't think about renting. You've given me something to think about there.....

If it is not too painful what was the issue with your used purchase? Was it a private sale or from well known seller?

I'll pop something in another forum once I've had the refund hit my bank. It was a well known reseller unfortunately.

I got an xt30 at a bargain black friday price years ago and because it had everything the xt3 did perhaps missing 1/8000 i thought it would be the same. But its far too small for myself and my next Fuji will be the xt5/h-x2 for a chunkier more comfortable fit
Is there such a thing as “best brand”? ;) :p

I’m not sure Fuji are the best for landscapes due to their lack of fine detail in foliage (y)

Good point, didn't think about renting. You've given me something to think about there.....
Canon and Fuji both do free weekend rentals to get a feel for the kit.

Tried Cambrian Photography? - they are not showing out of stock on Z6/6II
Unless I’m reading it wrong they’re charging quite a premium for having stock. Approx 400 more than Nikon direct (but I guess that isn’t a fair comparison is Nikon don’t have anything to actually sell)

I’ve been bitten on the bum buying second hand so it’ll have to be new this time
I've bought (and sold) many more than 100 cameras over the years and only had a couple of failures. When you take into account the saving over the new price (if you choose carefully) and the much wider range of models that you can select from, I can only be grateful to those of your persuasion who make available such a profusion of relatively inexpensive toys to me... :naughty:

My cameras DSC-R1 07075.jpg

Last edited:
Unless I’m reading it wrong they’re charging quite a premium for having stock. Approx 400 more than Nikon direct (but I guess that isn’t a fair comparison is Nikon don’t have anything to actually sell)
Are you in the UK? Nikon UK are showing Z6II in stock and the same price as Cambrian (£2099).

This is useful to see the current best prices (not including grey)

And just to bring this to a close, my z 7 and 24-70 lens arrived this morning. Massive overkill for now but will hopefully serve me well for years. The car also needed about a grands worth of maintenance on it this week so I'm going to lock my cards away in the loft now.

And just to bring this to a close, my z 7 and 24-70 lens arrived this morning. Massive overkill for now but will hopefully serve me well for years. The car also needed about a grands worth of maintenance on it this week so I'm going to lock my cards away in the loft now.
Nice, hope you enjoy it.

If you're into DSLRs then look at Pentax.

Given that both Canon and Nikon have announced their departure from the DSLR market Pentax will be the only manufacturer left in this space. They also happen to make really great cameras!

I'm biased as I shoot Pentax, but I have always found they really do make kit for photography and photographers, which I know might seem an odd thing to say but they genuinely do seem to put the both the use and user of their kit first in their thinking.

Good advice. From what I can tell the Z lenses will do what I need and I like the idea of being able to use older F lenses with the adaptor.

Had a look at the II's but low/no stock is a barrier plus I can't quite stretch to them price wise.

Grey Z7ii or Z7i seems the best bet. Just wait until einfin or Panamoz have them and snag one. Or grab a D850 right now - they're in stock.
If you're into DSLRs then look at Pentax.

Given that both Canon and Nikon have announced their departure from the DSLR market Pentax will be the only manufacturer left in this space. They also happen to make really great cameras!

I'm biased as I shoot Pentax, but I have always found they really do make kit for photography and photographers, which I know might seem an odd thing to say but they genuinely do seem to put the both the use and user of their kit first in their thinking.

I'd agree. A K1 mk2 would fit the bill. My concern is the D850 really does have a better sensor, and more lens line up. But I too have a softspot for Pentax

It would help if I read the entire thread. Good kit. The 45mp sensor is a dream.

Last edited:
Back