What size and where from

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

Looking to buy some seamless paper (Arctic White and Storm Grey).

2.72m seems very large as will be stored upright in a cupboard (might be touch and go) but given it's mainly animals I photograph (gotta be careful not to say shoot) they tend not to sit perfectly still so room for movement is always handy.

I also do product photography so something about 70cm width would be handy also but can't seem to find anything.

I was wondering what colours, lengths/widths you go for and why, also where you recommend purchasing from etc.

I also wanted a black background and read Muslin is best for this? photr do one on amazon 2mx3m that looks good.

Was hoping some people could share their experience or thoughts if possible :)

How long would an 11m roll last you guys? If I'm working with animals I'm guessing I'm going to burn through it pretty quick :(

Vinyl might be a better bet as you can wipe it clean and it is harder wearing, Bessel do it in various colours and sizes.

Vinyl might be a better bet as you can wipe it clean and it is harder wearing, Bessel do it in various colours and sizes.
This^

And if you're using paper, you could put a sheet of Perspex over it on the floor (it'll create reflections), or just look after it, there's no need to treat it as disposable, but you have to measure time taken in post to clean it up vs cost of paper.

Cheers guys. I have a selection of vinyl 4ftx4ft but find it's not wide enough. My main issue is the carpet on my floor, not ideal as when stuff is stood on it indents and vinyl wood effect floors for example don't look real or get damaged. I imagine paper would rip or crumble...any solution?

Cheers guys. I have a selection of vinyl 4ftx4ft but find it's not wide enough. My main issue is the carpet on my floor, not ideal as when stuff is stood on it indents and vinyl wood effect floors for example don't look real or get damaged. I imagine paper would rip or crumble...any solution?
Paper will do the same, you need to put aboard underneath it.

I imagine paper would rip or crumble...any solution?

yep, a sheet or two of 8x4 OSB (or preferably 3/4" plywood) from the builders merchants on the floor under the paper.

Paint 'em matt black on one side and matt white on the other and you can use them as big reflectors or "light hoovers" as well when they're not in use as a flooring medium...

Last edited:
Hmm it's just a pain in the arse storing them tbh. Tempted to rip carpet up and put laminate down lol

I have seen people say they shorten paper rolls with a hacksaw.

Yes, easy (y) Either trim to custom length, or buy longer and cut into say 6ft and 3ft widths. Paper is good and can be quite durable with care (clean up with a rubber eraser, or Tippex on white) though vinyl sounds favourite for dogs.

I use Colorama Colormatt for product photography, after recommendation on here. Great stuff - very smooth matt surface without the texure of paper that shows in close-ups. The white is bright and neutral http://www.jessops.com/online.store...x130cm-super-white-background-90595/show.html

I think you can get exercise mats that are only a couple of feet square but which clip together. They might be easier to store than big sheets and must be fairly stiff.

Back