What sort of bags are you using?

I've tried all sorts, rucksacks, shoulder bags, big, medium, and small, but in the end, I always go back to my Billingham 445.

Strangely, for the size, it's not heavy. It's waterproof, good looking, and will outlast me. It's a black one, so doesn't look like a tog bag.

It's also of the highest possible, artisan made, British quality.

Got to agree with Billingham especially as the factory is on my doorstep,I have had my Hadley for over 10 years and apart from a few stains its as good as the day it was new and as Doug says its doen't look like a tog bag

All lowepro here, currently have 2 vertex 200AW's which carries all my gear really nice and secure.

I was using a lowepro but i upgraded to a tamrac backpack because it's much easier to clamber over and crawl under things in which i have an all too familiary tendancy of doing :thinking:

Tamrac adventure 6. It's a usefully small bag, but it's just not big enough for me, and all I carry is my E-420 with 55-200 fitted, 14-42mm kit lens and my Cokin P series holder, usually only 1 filter in the bag, and 2 adaptor rings. It's nice and small though and easy to carry. I do wish I'd gone for a lrger bag though as I can't fit my ST605 in this one (although I never expected to).

Another vote for Billingham here. I have a Minitrecker AW but I only use it when I fly due to it fitting the size requirements for BA.

Normally though I use a Billingham 550 when I need to lug most of my kit which is cavernous and in black it looks good too.

For everyday use I just carry my D700 around in a Billingham Packington, which doesn't look like a camera bag so I can carry it everywhere without worrying.

The only downside to the Billinghams is actually also the plus side. I've had my 550 for about 5 years, but it still could pass off for being new. The Packington I'd actually like to look worn, but that's gonna take about 20 years :LOL:

Pete

I use a lowepro nature trekker for most of my kit, but also have a lowepro long lens bag for the 800. Most of the time I can just take one bag, but I have been known to take both to some locations.

Is no one going to post pics of their bags/backpacks?

If you insist. Forgive the fact that the gear is labeled. it was used for another thread on here some time ago.
Its the lowepro vertex 200 and its brilliant. If I want to go light, I just leave some of the gear at home. Its the most comfortable backpack I've found for my kn*%kered back so far.
I've climbed steep hills in Wales with it and its been fine.

01032008258copy.jpg

http://www.lowepro-online.co.uk/Lowepro-Vertex-200-AW-p-192.html

Kev.

This thread is helping me a bit. I thought i was about to uy a Mini trekker aw but im having second thoughts now. I need a backpack to do the D50 with the 300 F4 on it, an 80-200 AFS, 70-300 VR and 1 small wide lens which i still have to buy.It needs to be waterproof and carry small items like lens cleaners etc.Will the Minitrekker do that or do i need a larger backpack, if so which one?

Are there any physical shops that stock all major manufacturers (Kata, Tamrac, Crumpler, Lowenpro, Domke)?

I'd rather take my gear and see which it fits into best and see which is most comfortable.

The only place I've found so far is Warehouse Express but its a bit of a treck

I've just got myself a Lowepro stealth reporter D100AW. It takes what i have now (450D 18-55, tamron 70-300) & should take another lens maybe 2 & a flash which is plenty for me. I'm just wondering if the camera is ok when stored in the bag on it's back rather than it's base? This should be ok i'm thinking as a backpack has it on it's front.

I used to have around seven different Lowe pro bags but sold them all on egay. I now only use two Crumpler 'Pretty Boy' bags. One is slightly larger than the other for taking my Hasselblad 503 and light meter etc.. To be honest i still need a large type bag for location shooting but i am still looking. Might have to take a trip to somewhere like Warehouse Express and try a few out.

Lowepro Fastpack 350.
Holds Gripped 40D with 70-200 f2.8 attached.
28-135, 10-20, 430 EX flash, loads of other bits.
Also the top section holds my waterproofs and packed luch, essential for airshows or lowfly.

Dean:)

I use a Lowepro Rover AW2. Its two parts. The top is like a normal rucksack which I put my maps, flask, lunch etc in and the bottom has padded dividers for camera, lenses etc. Plus it has bungee straps on the back for a tripod.

Its great and hasserved me well for underground trips into deep abandoned mineral mines. A quick wash on 40 degrees and its always come up clean!

Picked up a Crumpler Pretty Boy XXL today, from Currys of all places. Pretty Boy has been discontinued and replaced with the Muffin Top, but I had my heart set on a Pretty Boy so was pleased to happen across this today. Thought I would need an XXXL but that was a little too big for me to be comfortable with carrying around, I need not have worried thought, the XXL does the job:

Stunned by how much it holds...

443784345_zmZCv-L.jpg

443783041_T6crV-L.jpg

Currently carrying the following...

- Nikon D90 with Nikon 50mm 1.8 attached
- Sigma 50-150 2.8 EX
- Sigma 20mm 1.8 EX
- Nikon 10.5mm 2.8 Fisheye
- Gorillapod SLR Zoom
- Filters, Batteries, Remote etc.

Got to say it's pretty packed, but it's not so crammed that it's hard to get at things. Closes fully with the velcro and clip when the Gorillapod is removed, otherwise it's just closes with the clip when all of the above is in it.

I use a fastpack 350
Hold my D50(battery grip) with 24-70 attached.
50mm f1.4
SB600 flash
18-55 lens
55-200 vr lens
I will lose the 18 and the 200 once I get my 70-200.
Plus there looks like it will take a bigger camera too.Plenty of space around my D50.
It holds 10 Memory cards,Plus batterys,cloths and other items.
Top holds my leads,chargers,waterproofs and lunch.
Plus any other items that I need to carry.

Also take my macbook too.

Kinesis long lens case 500
Lens trekker 600AW2
Stealth reporter 650AW
Slingshot 300 AW
Toploader 75AW
Large peli case.

I'm a ThinkTank chappie.

1. ThinkTank Glass Taxi for just one of the big primes, teleconverters and a single body
2. ThinkTank Airport Ultralite in a rolling Peli case for general use for either big prime and a couple of other lenses
3. ThinkTank Airport Acceleration for long haul travel or to carry both big primes and two bodies
4. ThinkTank Urban Disguise 40 for a "small" kit or to carry extra lenses alongside one of the rucksacs - this also takes my netbook

Paul

I use a Lowepro Vertex 200 if I am taking everything out with me, including the kitchen sink!

I would agree with what others have said about backpacks being pain when you need to access your camera quickly, but they do making walking around much easier.

If I am just talking the camera out then I use a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 which is great, but I think the time has now arrived for bag number 3, as I it would be nice to have something that could hold my camera and just an extra lens or two.

Been using a Crumpler XL Pretty Boy but this only allows me to carry the D300 and 18-70 mounted and the 50 sat on top and a lens cloth. I'll need to get something a bit bigger once I upgrade to the 70-200.

Digital SLR User subs comes with a Pretty Boy Crumpler XL atm. Anyone know if this is any good?

They are still retailing on Amazon at £20, so not that bad if you get one as a free gift for a 12 month subscription.

I use a Lowepro mini trekker 100 which is a backpack and very comfortable to wear
It can hold my Fuji S3 with 70-300 attached
2 other lenses

Crumpler Ben's Pizza Ltd Edition in Red. Doesn't really look like a camera bag which is how I like it.

I use the Proline Studio Large Camera bag. I've just found they've stopped making it and as a discontinued item it is VERY hard to get hold of.

Would love to buy a second one. It is easily the biggest bag i've ever owned.
I may have to look at getting the Lowepro Commercial (it's smaller, but will do).

slingshot 200, but thinking of selling

Tamrac Expedition 8 is what I use for all of the equipment.

It is big so the person using this bag would need to be quite big.

Back