What Speed broadband do you want?

Name
Lennard
Edit My Images
Yes
My son sent me this from Tenerife, read the Bottom line, makes you sick, mine is 72Mb/s in Cornwall

upload_2018-6-9_19-48-44.png

I was lucky, BT put fiber to the home where I am. I was offered 300 mbps but picked the slowest option 55mbps. However I have seen it go over 100mbps. It seems their limits are not totally fixed. Half the time it runs at 60+

Count yourself lucky, my broadband speed if I'm lucky will only be 2.5Mb/s

Hang in there. There is new technology that was used in my area and others that spreads a fiber network cost effectively in rural areas.

I live in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere is west wales and they spread it to every nook and cranny.

I never thought I would see fiber here ever, let alone to my door step.

I think they call it fiber to the node. Instead of fiber to the cabinet first used in cities and large towns.

Fiber to the node is much cheaper to spread, it should end up everywhere or near everywhere eventually.

Hang in there. There is new technology that was used in my area and others that spreads a fiber network cost effectively in rural areas.

I live in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere is west wales and they spread it to every nook and cranny.

I never thought I would see fiber here ever, let alone to my door step.

I think they call it fiber to the node. Instead of fiber to the cabinet first used in cities and large towns.

Fiber to the node is much cheaper to spread, it should end up everywhere or near everywhere eventually.
Like you I live in the backend of nowhere (a tiny village in Shropshire)
One can only hope, but to be honest I won't be holding my breath.

Like you I live in the backend of nowhere (a tiny village in Shropshire)
One can only hope, but to be honest I won't be holding my breath.

My one was previously 0.75. Yes that is less than 1 mbps and BT charged us the same as everyone else lol. Could watch youtube on 360p only. 480p did not work.

+1, I get between 2.5 and 3 and am in N London. The Openreach site say we should have fibre in 4 months and it's already been 8+ months..[emoji20]

72mbps here and I think that’s fine. I run an internet business from home, stream music, Netflix etc and have a teenager that thinks you have to download the entire internet daily and we do alright.

I can’t see the need amything faster.

I have 200mbps at home, seems perfectly adequate for all our needs.

My parents live in rural Somerset and get 1.5mbs on a good day (or rather, a good 10 minutes).

In terms of internet speed, current fibre is as good as it needs to be for 'internet' usage. A step change will come when we get 1+ gig and then it will be just a network, not the internet.

300mbps here, and currently on BT's waitlist for ultrafast

Seriously have no need for it now on the personal side of things and my 300/30 FTTP is being delivered at the same cost as the 80/20 so it's a no-brainer for me.

Wow, how do you get that speed in Redruth,
I live in Camborne.

I'm also in Camborne, didn't realise I hadn't updated my profile!

It's a new-build and they no longer do copper runs to the estates, so it's Fiber direct to my house or nothing at all, downside is I'm pretty much locked into BT unless I go for another providers business offering

Here in the 'backwater' that is about 7 miles as the crow flies from Trafalgar Square, I get about 6Mb/s.

Dave

The Openreach site say we should have fibre in 4 months and it's already been 8+ months.

If the experience here is typical, I wouldn't hold your breath. The BT plans, in about 2013/2014, to introduce fibre here have fallen by the wayside.

I'm a bit amazed that when I check what speed is available for my address, BT appear to quite proud of the fact they offer me the following -

"
tick.svg
Great news

You can get speeds up to 7.5Mb with our Broadband Unlimited, and you can get BT TV."

Perhaps I should let them know that I don't think 7.5Mb is 'Great News'

Dave

speedtest20180610.JPG

today....I'm paying for 'up to 38Mbps' - it often seems MUCH slower

My one was previously 0.75. Yes that is less than 1 mbps
There is a whole thread about Talk Talk When they took over from Tesco.net, my BB speed slowly dropped from 2.5 to 0.1 !
Well I guess being in a sleepy back water that is ( the supposed center of technological excellence) MK what do I expect?
I contacted the ombudsmen, long story short "They had no case to answer" I meant seriously? WTF? ..

I'm happy with the 27 down & 7 up that BT are now supplying.
There is no need for anything faster.

Here in the countryside of rural France we get about 8 meg down and 1 meg up.
Does all we need.

In April our 'great news' was ADSL2 being enabled which most places had years ago.
It has helped, with a fairly reliable 6mb down and 0.6 up - about double what it was on normal ADSL.

Openreach have also announced a further tranche of works and we are on the list but won't hold my breath as it is so far planning to have a plan and they will probably 'discover' technical problems.

Meanwhile a district wifi company are planning to extend into the area with speeds about 30mb/2mb at reasonable cost, but we'd have to keep paying for line rental separately too, as another 'can't have' is mobile coverage.
That's something else we have been promised for about 20 years but they have instead optimised saying the right things but doing nothing about it indefinitely.

If there was any joined up thinking, a 3G/4G network would solve both problems but this apparently impossible.

80/20 in a village in "rural" (lots of people seem to be rural so thought I'd mention it) Gloucestershire and I get over 90% of that in use. It's way more than I need. Uses TalkTalk backhaul but is not with TalkTalk.

We get around 17mb down here usually. At my office about 7 miles away we get 80+. That is perfectly fine for any normal usage, it's the uploads that still need improving.

We currently get about 72 down and 18 up. As the fibre cabinet is less than 75m from my house, I enquired about the cost of getting fibre direct to the house instead of copper through Cerberus, as the BT wholesale site showed that 300/30 FTTPoD was available (https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker). They came back with a quote of £12,800+VAT, plus connection fee then about £100/month. I think I'll do fine with what I have for just now :)

Last edited:
We currently get about 72 down and 18 up. As the fibre cabinet is less than 75m from my house, I enquired about the cost of getting fibre direct to the house instead of copper through Cerberus, as the BT wholesale site showed that 300/30 FTTPoD was available (https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker). They came back with a quote of £12,800+VAT, plus connection fee then about £100/month. I think I'll do fine with what I have for just now :)

I would feel bad for you but 72/18 is stupidly fast anyway. I have spent decades with internet that barely worked at all and only now getting good speed finally

Pffft a measly 586 meg ;) I get 1Gb at home on Hyperoptic.

I should add that is synchronous too so 1 Gb down, 1Gb up

Last edited:
72mbps here and I think that’s fine. I run an internet business from home, stream music, Netflix etc and have a teenager that thinks you have to download the entire internet daily and we do alright.

I can’t see the need amything faster.

I get 72 Mb/s from BT and find it very good.
They sent me an email recently offering an improved service (83Mb/s) and said that if I agree I could have the improvement free for the first year. ........ I did not waste much time before binning their offer.

I would feel bad for you but 72/18 is stupidly fast anyway. I have spent decades with internet that barely worked at all and only now getting good speed finally
When we first moved into this house 15 years ago, the best I could get was about 33 Kb/s with a dial up modem with Virgin Media. About 9 years ago, our exchange was updated and we got about 400kb/s to 1 mb/s download again through Virgin Media broadband. This got worse at peak times (when schools came out and early evening) to the point it became unusable. When BT finally put in fibre cabinets in the village, I was one of the first to sign up, and it's been good since then. However, with 2 teenage sons and multiple devices, a bit more bandwidth would be nice and if FTTPoD was available at a sensible price I would go for that.

At that price I would expect council permission and permits are required for excavation works.

That sounds like an awful lot. When fibre was first introduced to our village I got it installed. 30mbps at the time. during the installation I was chatting to the engineer and I asked about Fibre to the property. We were about 700m from the exchange and he ball parked around £4k for that distance. We were renting at the time so didn't bother.

At that price I would expect council permission and permits are required for excavation works.
I don't believe so. There are ducts to all the houses from the cabinets. It would simply be running about 150m of fibre through the ducts to the house. The BT FTTPoD price structure changed in February this year, meaning you now get the option of a 12 month contract at much lower price, v's a cheaper install (several £k) previously, but tied to a 3 year contract at £300+/month. The new strtucture means you pay more up front, but save more longer term.

BT is rolling out ultrafast in some areas of the UK, whch is effectively the same product, but without the upfront installation: https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/broadband/get-ultrafast/

Thats interesting, it appears my connection is already categorised as Ultrafast, but the 1Gbps trial is simply another tier of Ultrafast. Unfortunately it's still asynchronous as 1000/220Mbps, no doubt it'll be ridiculously expensive..

I'd willingly take a drop in speed for reliability if VM wifi didn't drop so often, I'm now considering switching VM router to modem mode and getting a third party router. Any recommendations, not too expensive ;)

I'd willingly take a drop in speed for reliability if VM wifi didn't drop so often, I'm now considering switching VM router to modem mode and getting a third party router. Any recommendations, not too expensive ;)

What VM router do you have now? I had problems every day with the original Superhub and the Superhub 2 but since getting a Superhub 3 (after lots of complaining to the Virgin exec office) and a visit from a technician my service has been virtually perfect for around 6 months.

I've got the Superhub 2, I've tried all the usual changing channels from auto to manual change various ones, relocating the SH2 . 5 ghz works sometimes when 2.4 ghz is down, sometimes 5 ghz drops intermittently too which makes me think it's not a interference problem from landlines handhelds etc. Router is wired to pc and no problems with that. When Wi-Fi does work the signal is strong.

Going back to the original question; I want 1Gb/s ... I don't need it/can't get it but still want it :)

I pay for 200Mb/s but have never achieved more than 75Mb/s in the 14 months we've been at this property. VM keep telling me it's my computer - well in that case it's all 4 computers in the house - that used to get close to the 200Mb/s we had at the old proprty. Even when I tell them I have a brand new desktop pc which is on cabled Ethernet they say it's at fault. Tell them it works perectly in my neighbours hose and they still maintain it's a computer issue ... bunch of muppets!

/RANT OFF/

I've got the Superhub 2, I've tried all the usual changing channels from auto to manual change various ones, relocating the SH2 . 5 ghz works sometimes when 2.4 ghz is down, sometimes 5 ghz drops intermittently too which makes me think it's not a interference problem from landlines handhelds etc. Router is wired to pc and no problems with that. When Wi-Fi does work the signal is strong.

The engineer even admitted the Superhub 2 is crap, I had the same WiFi problems (along sort the hub losing ALL connectivity every now and then) from 2 of them.

Only after getting the Superhub 3 did the problems go away.

I threatened to cancel and leave if they didn't update it.

Back