What sports have you covered?

Blimey Kipax, that's quite a list. Serious question, do you know all those sports or are experienced enough to cope..

I would have to say the latter if thats not too big headed.....lots had never done before. however i get the pics and they get published and pic editor says well done...

When your sent by a paper they arnt looking for an experienced kabaddi wrestling photographer from the pool of togs .. just someone they think will get the pics..

If I have time I look up the sport and the best shots.. many threads on here I ahve started where i am asking for advice on first time X sport or Y sport...

for papers
rugby
football
netball/basketball

for me/event work
horseys
swimming
drunk student racing at formals (it can pay to leave someone else running the BG:p)

It's all been for me but:

Equestrian - polo, xc, dressage, showjumping
Motors - btcc, carrera cup and the other support series'

With a bit of a dabble in surfing, snowboarding and mountain biking.

My list would be

Hockey, indoors and outdoors
Rugby Union
Rugby league
Shinty
American Football
Aussie Rules Football
Triathlon
Cross country
Canoe Slalom
Canoe – river race
Climbing
Rallying
Highland games
Cycling – road racing
Cyclocross
Football (once)

I would have to say the latter if thats not too big headed.....lots had never done before. however i get the pics and they get published and pic editor says well done...

When your sent by a paper they arnt looking for an experienced kabaddi wrestling photographer from the pool of togs .. just someone they think will get the pics..

If I have time I look up the sport and the best shots.. many threads on here I ahve started where i am asking for advice on first time X sport or Y sport...

Cool - thanks for your candour. As I said I, I found it different to move from football to rugby, but it might also be my photography was in a different place then. I'd like to think I could have a good go at anything now

Off the top of my head...

Football
Rugby
Cricket
Tennis
Squash
Track and Field Athletics
Speedway
Cycling
Rally
Basketball
Boxing
Netball
Volleyball
Rounders (!!)
Water Polo
Polo
Dressage
Bowls
Go Karts
French Boule
Karate

Most of these during my local press days..:cool:

My rather biased list...

Football
Rugby
Dragon Boat Racing
Windsurfing
Dinghy Racing
Kite Surfing
Yacht Racing
Triathlon
Mountain Bike
Powerboat Racing
Zapcat Racing
Indoor climbing
Rowing
Kayaking

Gee, I didn't know there were so many sports to photo!

My list includes:
Football
Rugby
Hockey
Cricket
Basketball
Athletics
Gym
Kendo
Iaido
Judo
Karate
Taekwondo
Ju Jitsu
MMA
Golf
Runners (e.g.10K, half-marathons)
Motorsport - cars, bikes, sidecars, Motox
Point to Point

Last edited:
Well, after Wedsnesday night I can now add Futsal to my list, an indoor 5 a side type of football.

My wimpy list ...

F1
Tennis

:shrug:

Hmm, nothing better to do on a Sunday morning - so here goes.

Football
American Football
Finnish Baseball
Baseball (totally different from the FInnish version)
Athletics
Ice Hockey
Hockey
Floorball
Ice Bandy
Boxing
Thai Boxing
Basketball
Wheelchair Basketball
Rally
Formula (F1 and F3 racing)
Canoing
Kayaking
Cycling
BMX
Paragliding
Skateboarding
Motocross
Judo
Karate
Cheerleading (it was world championships, so I count it as a sport)
Handball
Cricket
Rock Climbing
Body building (doesn't count as a sport in my books)
Kite surfing
Volleyball
Tennis
Power Boating (F1 world series)

Having gone all through that - I these days cover only basketball (it's a full-time job I tell ya...)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just remebered powerlifting http://othersports.fotopic.net/c1675306.html (I even got published) so added that... if googabu adds f1 and f2 together as moter racing then he beats me by one sport .... at the moment :)

Sorry KIPAX.. :bonk:
But then again - currently I only cover a single sport.

(oh, and I actually should add Power Boating to the list.... off to edit my post)

Also - when I lived in Finland, the papers were more interested in wider variety of sports, so that helped me on my list of sports

Last edited:
Sorry KIPAX.. :bonk:
But then again - currently I only cover a single sport.

(oh, and I actually should add Power Boating to the list.... off to edit my post)

Also - when I lived in Finland, the papers were more interested in wider variety of sports, so that helped me on my list of sports

I might have a new one nobody else has got on bank holiday monday.. going to put my name forward to paper and hope i get the commision.. they wil be sending someone... hehe

Now added, Banger racing, Tag Rugby and Kite Surfing to make it 34 different sports and not counting different genre.

Not a lot so far, I've only snapping 2 years but so far I've got:
- Football (Mens & Underage)
- Gaelic Football (Mens, Ladies, Underage & Kids/sports day)
- Hurling
- Basketball
- Rugby

Almost got running, cycling and swimming in the 1 day when the Euro 2010 Triathlon was in my town, but I got sent to cover a match instead.

Might have the chance to shoot (for want of a better word) clay pigeon shooting. Mate of mine is part of a very successful club here in Ireland. Unfortunately it gets little or no coverage in the local papers but I might get a few snaps for myself.

Now added, Banger racing, Tag Rugby and Kite Surfing to make it 34 different sports and not counting different genre.

Now added Sporthall Athletics and Kickboxing which is junior schools indoor athletics and nothing like athletics as is.. so definitely a seperate sport

So 36 different sports covered....so far :)

Last edited:
Being a "Combat Sports Photographer" first and foremost, I've extensively covered:

Boxing
Kickboxing
MMA
Muay Thai
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/submission grappling
Professional Wrestling
Seminars
Training/sparring/workouts
Belt Tests
Traditional Martial Arts

with less regularity I've covered:

Youth Wrestling
Triathlons

and non-sports:

Event Photography
Live Music
Family Portraiture
Night Photography
Street Photography

I did a racketlon at weekend.. like triatholon sorta thing.. but rackets.. I can now add Squash (difficult from upper viewing and backs to you), badmington and table tennis to my list.. now at 39 diferent sports photographed.. :)

Now done Snooker.......well I was sent by the local paper just to get a couple of shots of one particular player :)

Not done snooker but have added a few such as Archery, Badminton, Judo and a few others.. Now at 45 different sports C=Commisioned, P=Published in press

Rugby Union C,P
Rugby League C,P
Tag Rugby C,P
Football (Men, Women, Youth) C,P
Cricket (Mens, Youth) C,P
Lacrosse C
American Football C,P
Badminton C,P
Basketball (Men, Women, Youth) C,P
Ice Hockey (Men, Women, Youth) C,P
Inline Hockey C,P
Darts
Archery C,P
MMA (Cage Fights) C,P
Boxing C,P
Kick Boxing C,P
Karate
Kabaddi Wrestling C,P
Judo C,P
Motocross C,P
MX C,P
Trial Bikes C,P
Stock Cars P
Banger Racing
Hovercraft racing
Tennis
Table Tennis C,P
Badminton C,P
Squash C,P
Handball C,P
Equestrain C,P
Bowls C,P
Jet Ski
Kite Surfing
Golf C,P
Swimming C,P
Athletics (Track and Field) C,P
SportsHall Athletics (Indoor) C,P
Cylce races C,P
Cyclo Cross C,P
BMX
Running (10k, Marathons, Cross Country) C,P
Mascots (Races, Events) P
Triatholons C,P
Powerlifting C,P

Last edited:
Go on then... what are the most bizarre then??

bizarre? on my TODO list? well within half an hr of my location is world gravy wresteling.. black pudding chucking chamiponships and wellie throwing.. quite a few other odd ones i want to do but dont get chance as other jobs on :(

bizarre? on my TODO list? well within half an hr of my location is world gravy wresteling.. black pudding chucking chamiponships and wellie throwing.. quite a few other odd ones i want to do but dont get chance as other jobs on :(

Surely you've done the Ecky Thump championships? :)

Boxing and some martial arts/acrobatics.

Would love to do more and a variety of sports

Rugby
Football
Cycling
Athletics
Road races
Cross country races
Basketball
Horse racing
Golf
Tennis
Swimming
Motorsport

A good list Kipax.

You could always come down to our village festival next year for some egg yarping :D

Back