What sports you cover - that you get published!

Edit My Images
Yes
Just a little fun comparison on which sports us photographers cover, that make it published (be it web/print/whatever).
And what percentage of each sport makes up your published images.. as I guess there is the perception of football really dominating the sports scene in UK, so I wanted to see how the photographers here see it in their everyday work.
(naturally answers from photographers outside UK are more than welcome.. and would make a nice comparison :) )

So think back on the last 12 months, and what you estimate various sports to have been part of your schedules.
My own would be something like this :

Basketball : 65%
Volleyball (indoor and beach) : 13%
Football : 13%
Other (handball, swimming, futsal, badminton).. : 9%

Very rough estimate there... and would be interested to see how it compares to others.

(and yes, I am based in the UK :) )

Am I allowed to play haha? done about 50 different sports last year and all published..

however the big money is always in football.. all other sports in regionals.. only football and thus bigger money in nationals for me..

Last edited:
Am I allowed to play haha? done about 50 different sports last year and all published..

however the big money is always in football.. all other sports in regionals.. only football and thus bigger money in nationals for me..

Of course you are allowed to play ....
I know i've done way more sports than mentioned on the list.. but just thought it would be fun to see what photographers make most of their money/get published.
But guess for some of us - there is always sport or two that make most of our income..
So all just a bit of fun :)

My main sport is football which has been published on a weekly basis. Others sports I have done in the last year are cycling and boxing which have both been published.

I've done loads of others in the past which have been published as well. Cricket, Rugby (league and Union), Netball, golf, basketball.

Nice to see some replies - guess what i was more wondering was the ratio of sales between different sports for each of us...
Like KIPAX - my list of sports that I've sold images from would be as long as .. well, a long thing.
But some of them only get sold once or twice per year.. where as others (like basketball for me) are on almost daily bases.

But from the few answers.. Football does seem to be the one that sells ..

My main use as a rule comes from football, but this last tax year it became Rugby league after my capture of the ugly crowd scenes at the Huddersfield v Salford game which resulted in 42 paper publications worldwide & over 100 on line uses ( many of which I don't have a hope in hell of collecting on)lol.

My main use as a rule comes from football, but this last tax year it became Rugby league after my capture of the ugly crowd scenes at the Huddersfield v Salford game which resulted in 42 paper publications worldwide & over 100 on line uses ( many of which I don't have a hope in hell of collecting on)lol.
Rex Features involved by any chance.LOL

Me in NZ
Rugby 60 percent
Cricket 25 percent
Football/basketball/netball 15 percent

Back