Beginner What to do about camera?

Since being a teenager I've always enjoyed photography (and collecting and using old film cameras) and that's the reason I've never wanted to turn my hobby into a business; I don't want the stress and mither of having to take a certain type of photo for a customer just because I need to pay the household bills, then there's the book-keeping, tax returns, cash-flow, marketing/advertising, professional indemnity & public liability insurance premiums, etc., No thanks, for me that would take the fun right out of a hobby I enjoy!

That said, some amateur photographers dream of turning pro, so who am I to find fault with that? If you are certain you want to take the plunge, especially in these rather uncertain financial times (if we do enter a post-Brexit recession then how likely will people be to spend money on a professional portrait photo?) then I wish you the very best of luck. (y) I think there's been some good advice given by some people on this thread, although it may not necessarily be what an enthusiastic and aspiring photographer wants to actually hear. However, I think quite often the best way to learn is from other people's mistakes, sorry... I mean 'life experiences'. ;)

So, if I were starting out with your aims what camera kit would I buy? Well, I'd probably go down the full-frame route (at least with my lenses) as it's likely I'd probably end up there if my business took off. I'd weigh up my options and if budget safely allowed (without me going anywhere near debt or 'easy terms') I'd try to find a good 'low mileage', 'mint', Canon 6D and Mk1 24-105 IS L zoom from a reputable, long-established shop (that has good customer feedback and offers a good warranty) and visit the shop and try it out. I'd probably take a laptop or tablet with me, so I could view any test photos to see how they actually looked on a screen I knew. I'd see if the camera buttons and menus seemed intuitive to me and easy to operate (in comparison to any other DSLR I'd tried), and if it all checked out OK and made sense, only then would I proceed with the purchase.. after first haggling like mad for some discount and goodies like a top-quality protective lens filter and memory card thrown in free to clinch the deal! :D

Why a 6D with 24-105 IS L? It's a fairly small and light (for a full frame pro/enthusiast DSLR) camera that features nothing much more than is actually useful or necessary, it takes good looking photos (even on full auto - sometimes it's nice just to take a day off and just grab a snapshot or two!), it's got good low light (high-ish ISO) performance (some would say better than the 5D MkIII ) and good battery life (as long as the GPS and WiFi options are turned off) to keep me shooting longer. The 24-105 image stabilised zoom range should cover most eventualities most of the time (a bit like a Swiss Army knife), and at the price they currently change hands for second hand I shouldn't drop too much money should I ever want to sell it! A zoom range like that should enable me to see which focal length I tended to use most for the style of photography I actually found myself doing, then if I wanted something even sharper, or to give a shallower depth of field, I could buy a prime lens or a zoom with a shorter range and wider aperture, once I knew what I really needed. And all that for four or five hundred quid, that's got to be cheap lens research!

But that's just what I'd do, people are different and other camera kit makes and models may suit them better and provide similar value for money and results for £. But I don't think I'd make a bad mistake if I at least considered a Canon 6D based kit as a pro-use starter? So what do the pro's think?

Last edited:
The world is funny place. Don't take any of the comments to seriously. If your ambition is to become a pro then good on you. You may or may not have the ability to achieve your dream, but at least you have a dream
Follow it as far as it will take you and most of all enjoy.
As to kit all I would say is buy what ever you think you can afford. Expensive kit won't make you a better photographer.
But if it makes you feel better then that's OK.
You can take good pics with a box brownie or a gold plated hassleband, you can also take crap At the end of the day it is up to you. ENJOY

@Mr Badger gives good advice on a camera there (imo) ... ideally if you could find a store with a Canon 6D with the 24-105 and a Nikon D750 with a 24-120 or 24-85. Also try to get a demo of things like a Sony A7 as well as perhaps smaller cameras such as Fuji X-T2 and a m43 camera such as Olympus OM-D EM-5. There is no substitute for trying the cameras in your own hands.

Alternatively take a punt and buy something like the Canon 450D kit someone mentioned above, or a similar Nikon kit. Both will be good for learning on and if you decide once you have tried that you fancy something different to the brand you originally buy you haven't lost much.

@Eloise beat me to it. I'd recommend picking the camera that feels best in your hands, comfortable controls and menus that you like....that's how I picked my original canon a 350D about 10 years ago. I then changed to the 5DM3 3 years ago and love it :). Good luck - really hope you realize your ambition!

Beginners think it's about cameras
Enthusiasts think it's about lenses
Photographers know it's about light.

This is so true.. but whenever I see it I feel like adding
Artists know it's about the content
or
Professionals know it's about the customer.

The more I do with fancy lighting the more I realise that it is just part of the toolkit, in the same way as - for example - super blurry backgrounds.

Thanks for the very supportive and helpful suggestions/added here - It's much appreciated.

Eloise - I'd not really thought ergonomically but will add that into the mix - I've got longer than average arms and fingers! Not sure if that will be a help or a hindrance.

Thanks for the very supportive and helpful suggestions/added here - It's much appreciated.

Eloise - I'd not really thought ergonomically but will add that into the mix - I've got longer than average arms and fingers! Not sure if that will be a help or a hindrance.
Most camera 'families' have similar, small / med/ large models, the only ergonomics you really have a choice over is the different way the camera controls work.

That's why I recommended an older mid range model.

They're much 'easier to control' than entry level cameras, not requiring so much use of menus for common changes. And buying s/h means when you know what you want, you'll lose very little money selling it on.

For instance a £700 6d will be worth £600 next year at least if you decide to change systems entirely, or if you want to upgrade to a 5d IV, whereas buying a new 5dIV and selling it next year will cost £500 or more. (We've 2 6d's, one cost £1000 and the other £650, they're both worth about £650-£700 right now).

When I say a camera isn't really important, it's with the proviso that what you need is a 'proper camera'.

90% of all the pictures I've ever sold could have been shot on a £300 camera, I don't have the best lenses in the world, but their value does make mates question my sanity. My 2 favourite lenses are £500 each s/h (ish), which compared to a lot of gear is cheap, but still not a pittance.

Snip:
For instance a £700 6d will be worth £600 next year at least if you decide to change systems entirely,

The way new and second hand camera equipment prices are going at the moment due to the value of the £ against the Dollar, Yen, Euro, etc. it'll probably be worth £800! :confused: ;)

Yes my arms would be perfect for selfies .

Phil - I would definitely buy s/h but my worry is losing a large sum of money if it's broken or no longer under warranty.

On that note, where would anyone recommend buying reliable second hand? I do like the advice about handling the camera before I buy. Does anyone know of a reputable supplier (new and s/h) somewhere in the north? (I'm North Yorks but willing to travel). Many thanks in advance.

The best S/H dealer in the UK IMHO is MPB Photographic based in Brighton. Have absolutely no fears of buying from them online they are 100%
I bought a 60mm lens from them and it was fine. Saying that the grey market can be better value than them for newer cameras lens.

Yes my arms would be perfect for selfies .

Phil - I would definitely buy s/h but my worry is losing a large sum of money if it's broken or no longer under warranty.

On that note, where would anyone recommend buying reliable second hand? I do like the advice about handling the camera before I buy. Does anyone know of a reputable supplier (new and s/h) somewhere in the north? (I'm North Yorks but willing to travel). Many thanks in advance.

Regarding second hand I've picked up a lot that route and no problems at all so far, touch wood :).

London Camera Exchange were quite thorough when checking items I was selling to them (spotted some corrosion on a terminal in a flash I hadn't spotted, and declined it, for example), but as with any chain it can depend on which store you go to.

The classifieds here can also be a good source - you need to be a member for a few months and there's a minimum post count to access (which is helps reassure, as people have to invest some time in the forum before they can take advantage of that section)

MPB will give you a guarantee when you buy s/h. Bought 2 lenses off them without problems.
I bought my 6D from Calumet secondhand for £700 and they give you a 1yr guarantee.

In Yorkshire there's York Camera Mart in York and Dale photographic in Leeds.

Both have a decent reputation AFAIK

Last edited:
I've had a fair few things from Mifsuds in Brixham. Usually go down in person but have also bought "unseen" from them on occasion. I've been in the shop when the telephone sales person has been out on the shop floor examining a piece of kit while on the phone to a customer.

Back