London What to do in SE London?

Edit My Images
Yes
My 13 year old has announced he wants to travel to London to meet an online gaming mate. They live near Belmarsh Prison around Thamesmead, an area I know absolutely nothing about. My wife will be accompanying him as well so I had hoped to slip away for some photography, any good locations for architecture/industrial or pretty much anything except street? I do note there’s a large wood showing on online maps is it any good for wildlife?
TIA

My 13 year old has announced he wants to travel to London to meet an online gaming mate. They live near Belmarsh Prison around Thamesmead, an area I know absolutely nothing about. My wife will be accompanying him as well so I had hoped to slip away for some photography, any good locations for architecture/industrial or pretty much anything except street? I do note there’s a large wood showing on online maps is it any good for wildlife?
TIA
Not too far from Greenwich, which has museums, the Cutty sark, markets, people watching, the river....

Hi Gordon

I used to live locally and have got friends in Thamesmead. Not the nicest place in London but its ok.

Plenty to see and do. Greenwich has already been mentioned. You could walk from Thamesmead along the Thames down to Belvedere and Erith. Plenty of industrial stuff going on. I used to run the Thames path on the way home from Canary Wharf every night. If you follow it in the other direction, it will take you past the Thames Barrier, the O2 Dome and into Greenwich.

Other than that, a little futher out is the QE2 bridge at Dartford. Bexley is good. Five Arches on the North Cray Road, Danson Park, Hall Place. Just take a look on the map.

In addition to Greenwich, you have the Thames Barrier and the army "Firepower" museum at Woolwich.

For wildlife have you got time to go to Hyde Park to look for the little owls?

The woods there are great if you're into photographing trees, paths, plants, and so on. And at the bottom is Lesnes Abbey, or rather the ruins thereof; probably good for a couple of photos. And if you really like woods, go up nearby Knee Hill to Bostall Heath and you'll find that the woods stretch for some miles westward. There used to be a lot of industrial stuff there, but that was before they build Thamesmead. You'd probably have to go all the way to the riverside near Charlton to find any modern industry.

So I agree with the others, Greenwich might be your best bet for photography. And there's a nice, fair-sized park there with two tearooms. And in the centre of Greenwich is the DLR station which could take you to Canary Wharf, another favourite with photographers.

TIA

If you like architecture / industrial, I'd highly recommend Crossness Pumping Station, but they're not open very often. Remaining open days for 2017 are here: http://www.crossness.org.uk/visit.html

I've none on Flickr so can't post any here, but have a look at some of the snaps on my website: http://www.theviewfromthenorth.org/crossness-pumping-station

Back